1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Has anyone here been a diabetic for more than 40 years?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by BOHDE, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Barrie Smith

Barrie Smith Type 1 · Active Member

Yes was diagnosed July 1960 , had 20 years trouble diabetes but that all changed after being forced to go onto synthetic (Human) Insulin in 1980 ,was abandoned by NHS to 34 years of ill health was finally forced get a private 2nd Opinion , diagnosis Poly Glandular Auto-Immune damage to 5 glands caused by the Insulin , the 229 Insulin Coma`s caused by destruction of the digestive section of Pancreas ,Hypo Thyroid , Pernicious Anaemia , Adrenal damage , loss of Vitamin D production . Plus in 2009 was given Ciprofloxacin for an ear infection ( 3 bags /day 4 days ) which left me unable to process Levothyroxine tablets (check Wikipedia known to react with Levo/T) , also 2 serious muscle tears , the Thyroid problem was finally fixed by an NHS prescription last month .
    I keep soldiering on still playing bowls walking my dog , making every day count , but after the fights I have had with the Establishment don't tell me how good the NHS ,Novo ,Abbott , and Beyer are because commercial interest comes before patient outcomes .

• Like Like x 2
  2. catsbd

catsbd Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Been type 1 since April 1973. Whoo hooo. Very proud.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 2
  3. Radge21

Radge21 Type 1 · Member

I have been type 1 diabetic for 40 years, I am 53 now.
    I worked as a postman most of my life and I am sure the constant walking has served me well.

I have had no complications yet, but have over the years been put on enalapril and a statin.
    I have noticed over the years not to eat grapefruit as it makes me ill due to one of the two tablets I take.

Eat well, walk as much as you can, and check your blood sugar levels often.
    But don't eat grapefruit in my case.
    Once I stopped eating grapefruit, or drinking grapefruit juice and realised it did not agree with my statin i felt much much better.

• Like Like x 2
  4. nutmeg

nutmeg Type 1 · Newbie

I was diagnosed at he age of 14 that's 42 yrs ago. I have no complications, luckily enough, cos when I was in my teens I did everything that you were not supposed to do. There was not such a variety of Insulin's available then, and you had to stick to a very strict diet. The progression in Diabetic care has come on in leaps and bounds, and there is not any reason, I think, to not lead a healthy active life. Don't get me wrong I do have my off days when the Diabetes does get on my nerves, but it is part of me & feeling down about it won't make it go away.

• Like Like x 10
  5. norwaycook

norwaycook Type 1 · Member

I've been a type one diabetic for 52 years Just gone on to the pump 3 months ago and really liking it.
    Always good to revitalise your interest. Had a few heart problems but apart from that doing well. Started with diabetes when I was seven. Haven't always been well controlled especially in my teens.

• Like Like x 6
  6. nutmeg

nutmeg Type 1 · Newbie

I was diagnosed in 1972 at the age of 14.
    It seems that most of us who are in our 50's say that our control when in our teens was not very good. I think that the main reason for this is, apart from thinking that we knew it all, we never had the pleasure of Quick Acting & Long Lasting Insulin's, and being able to adjust our doses easily. Having gone from 2 ( what I would call )proper injections with a syringe, a day. I know have 5 but you don't really class the Pen as an injection as you virtually don't feel a thing.

• Like Like x 8
  7. crunchieice

crunchieice Type 1 · Member

I had no idea that the life expectancy for type1's was 69!!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. happy girl 1949

happy girl 1949 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

9. yingtong

yingtong Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have been Type 1 since Feb 1964 and I am a few days away from my 65th birthday,I have a few minor diabetic problems but I am still going strong.I will not let this pain in the arse disease get me!

• Like Like x 8
  10. Pinkerbell

Pinkerbell Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This thread is so inspiring and reassuring! After spending most of my adult life keeping fit and eating healthily in order to avoid my family history of type 2, much to my disgust, I was diagnosed with likely type 1 at 38! I have been so frightened and overwhelmed by the possible long term implications, but after reading these stories, I'm feeling much more confident that I have a good chance of staying fit and healthy, provided I stay on top of it! :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I wont tell my Uncle that, he has had type 1 for almost 50 years. He was diagnosed about a month before me and will be 80 in January

• Like Like x 9
  12. sharonlmartin

sharonlmartin Type 1 · Member

43 years in September for me

• Like Like x 2
  13. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Where did that come from?

14. crunchieice

crunchieice Type 1 · Member

Earlier in this thread. ..

15. Ladybirdy75

Ladybirdy75 · Well-Known Member

I'm just past the 40 year mark as a T1. I'm 45 and was diagnosed at 5. I confess I've had quite a lot of eye problems (all the laser I'm allowed on my left due to lots of bleeds culminating in a vitrectomy 2 yrs ago due to an old blood vessel tugging on the retina causing lots of haemorrhages), i had a heart attack requiring a stent in March this year and now have coronary heart disease, my kidney function is on the high end of normal but does cause me high blood pressure but other than that I'm fighting fit and feel i am blessed with a strong constitution. I would say a lot of that is down to my own bad management at times of my levels but there's plenty of life in the old dog yet ;-)

You just have to keep a really positive attitude and try your best whilst you just get on with it. You're doing great, don't let it stop you.

• Like Like x 7
    #55 Ladybirdy75, Jun 11, 2015 at 6:14 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2015
  16. Omnipod

Omnipod Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Omar...how do you keep your HBA1C so low with such high carbs?

• Like Like x 1
  17. mammamia2006

mammamia2006 · Guest

Wow!!

I have been t1 since I was 3 so, 25years and have been a terrible diabetic until lately but my god you are all an inspiration!

I used to think I would be dead before I was 20! Thank god for this site and all you lovely kind people

Hope we all keep kicking diabetes' ass for many more years to come :) :)

• Like Like x 10
  18. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

since I was 2 so 43 year for me this year

• Like Like x 4
  19. humaject

humaject Type 1 · Active Member

I became diabetic type 1 Insulin October 1968 age 13 47 years this year i played football and swam when i was younger,1978 i started weight training and still do i was made redundant 4 years ago and trying to get a job has been impossible my wife works and the house is paid for.For the last 4 years i have been going to the gym Mon to Friday 5 mornings i started dieting February and from 14 stone i am now 12 stone 5 lbs I had the diabetic clinic last Tuesday and the consultant said everything was excellent my HbA1c was 4.8 I do suffer from a few Hypos but that is the price of keeping one`s blood sugars as near to normal as one can.I think the best thing you can do is try and get out of the hose dont sit around or you`ll start getting depressed and that will make things seem a lot worse.Try and find a weights gym not the council places or the Big Name ones just a good old bodybuilding Gym. Dont be put off by the big blokes there they all started as newcomers and most of them will help you through the first few months once you get a routine going you`ll start to enjoy the training and the improvement in yourself.And the diet most of the trainers use is very close to a good diabetic diet................ Good Luck and Take Care.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Marling

Marling · Member

Had T1 since sge 10 and am now 64 and feeling very well and healthy. I feel I'm very lucky. I keep an eye on what I eat, am on DAFNE, inject accordingly, usually 5 times a day and keep my weight down. My GB varies, but as long as I know why it's too high or too low, that's ok and I can take measures. I know I should exercise more, am a bit lazy in that department. On the whole, I have not allowed diabetes to rule my life. Retinopathy is the only side effect, but this has been well controlled with laser treatment some 20 years ago. So I am a happy and grateful member of this group and would like to encourage any newcomers and newly diagnosed people.

• Like Like x 10
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook