Type 2 Has anyone tried Lo Dough

Philill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I keep seeing adverts for this and wondered if anyone had tried it and if so does it taste ok? It is quite expensive but I am looking for something for breakfast and lunches that does not require 30 minutes cooking time and am considering this.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right, nobody's answered you so I'll have a go. Just a few idle thoughts before a personal conclusion.

Yes, it's low carb.
It's also probably low taste - it claims to be a 'flavour-carrier' - (in my words, a perfect vehicle for real food). In other words it tastes of ****** all.
It contains some interesting ingredients, like Wheat Fibre (gluten-free), Dried Free Range Egg White, Stabiliser (E464), Konjac Flour. There seems to be a certain amount of processing having gone on here, which is not to everyone's taste. In other words if you process the life out of wheat you're left with a fibrous sort of thing, rather like that we used to tie our boat up with.
Each flat is about 25 grams - that's pretty light. A draft from your kitchen window may see your lunch airbourne. The only other material I can virtually match it with is a sheet polystyrene, thin stuff, like you would use for laminate floor underlay, but with less taste perhaps.
You can't toast it or it will behave much like the aforementioned polystyrene sheet.
But you can heat it in a frying pan with some 'spray-and-go' hydrogenated, processed veggy oil. Mmmmm!
It has a six-month shelf life. Much as if you leave a thin piece of leather on your kitchen worktop it would look much the same after a pretty long time.

Now the downside...

It's expensive. For the price of a few sheets of underlay I could purchase four very acceptable bottles of red wine. More if I was less discerning (which I am actually).
There is a gentle irony here. As we know, dough is is another word for money so this stuff could be called Hi Dough, Lo dough - which sounds like the catchphrase from a (very) down-market TV quiz show.

Conclusion: I have mentally weaned myself off bread and though Lo Dough is tempting, I think I'll pass.

Philill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well!!!! Thanks for replying, I must say I am having great difficulty replacing bread, I really do not have the time for 40 minute preparations of cauliflower rolls etc, I have to agree with you, this stuff does not sound attractive, however it is something to wrap tastier morsels in and the same time is quick. I will bite the bullet and order one of the smaller packs before going all in and buying the whole carpet.

I will let you know what I find, thanks once again for taking the time to answer.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must say I am having great difficulty replacing bread,
My take on that would be don't try to replace bread. Just eat what you would have put on it (including the butter) without the bread. If you want a ham and cheese sandwich make it out of the ham and cheese or cheese and ham for an alternative. Use an omelette wrap (i.e. egg) for bacon "sarnies" or just use a knife and fork.

Reactions: Philill

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Now the downside..." Haha! You had me spluttering my tea at that @Jo_the_boat!

I tried a sample pack of 2 pieces for the ridiculous price of something like £5 - as a wrap it was nice but as a pizza base it was nothing to write home about.
Livlife bread at 4g carbs for a small slice is a better option IMHO.
Having said that I think bread in general is the devil's work - for me it is like an addictive drug and it's best not to have it in my house at all. I tasted a piece of cooked pasta yesterday as making some for the kids and was repulsed - going cold turkey on pasta has worked a charm, but bread still lures me in now and then!