Has anyone tried this low carb bread from Aldi?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't eaten much bread over the past year apart from the odd half slice of my husband's sourdough rye.

I saw this today at Aldi (in Australia) and just tried a slice out of curiosity. I haven't tested my blood sugar yet because it's only been about half an hour but wondering what others think of the ingredients and what reaction your blood sugar had to it.

Baker’s Life 85% Lower Carb Bread
https://foodwatch.com.au/reviews/item/product-snapshot-baker-s-life-85-lower-carb-bread.html

M

Member496333

Seems ideal if your only concern is carbohydrate. Personally I still wouldn't touch anything containing wheat or soy, but I'm a bit funny like that :angelic:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
If I can find this in Aldi in London I shall definitely be trying this! I try to find soy based products as I have osteopenia in my spine.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Seems ideal if your only concern is carbohydrate. Personally I still wouldn't touch anything containing wheat or soy, but I'm a bit funny like that :angelic:

Wheat, soy and LUPIN. Which also sounds like it could be problematic for some. It 's definitely not the easiest bread to digest.. and it has an addictive quality about it, which I don't like. I don't like when you can't stop thinking about a food until you go and eat some more of it.. But then, bacon will do that to you too, won't it? ha ha

M

Member496333

...and it has an addictive quality about it...

Isn't that just bread being bread? I've long believed that it's one of the most addictive food products that humans have ever invented. Sounds hyperbolic, but try telling the average person they can never eat bread again and see what reaction you get. It's the last thing anyone ever wants to give up.

Reactions: Flora123

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't that just bread being bread? I've long believed that it's one of the most addictive food products that humans have ever invented. Sounds hyperbolic, but try telling the average person they can never eat bread again and see what reaction you get. It's the last thing anyone ever wants to give up.
A bit like meat then?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
UPDATE: SO an hour ago I had a slice of this low carb bread with... ah, something from my childhood - Vegemite and cheese... and a bit of milk.

Happily, my one hour spike is 6.1mmol.

Unhappily, the bread is sitting so heavily in my tummy that I don't feel well. Which is good, I suppose because I won't want to eat it very often (or ever again... Lol).

It's a bit like when I made Keto Bread with almond meal and psyllium husks and ate one too many. I was so bloated (and pregnant at the time) that I could barely breathe, and never made them again with psyllium husks.

Verdict: I think this low carb bread would be perfect for those who are newly diagnosed and need an immediate substitute for regular bread. But I'd be using it as a crutch to wean yourself off breads, like artificial sweeteners can be used instead of sugar. They also upset my tummy so I only used them when I was having trouble walking away from sweet treats. The tummy ache is a pretty good remedy for both though.

M

Member496333

A bit like meat then?

I thought we were talking about bread? But to answer your question, loads of people give up meat without much effort, but not many give up bread. Most are actually offended by the idea...

Also, humans didn't invent meat :D

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

You are right. I tried telling my 81 year old father that some of his ills might be due to insulin resistance (he doesn't have diabetes) and he tried reducing carbs for a week or two, but I think he's gone back to eating half a loaf of bread in one sitting now. He always boasts about not being able to stop when he gets a fresh loaf. That can't be a good thing.. But somehow he has made it into his 80s binge-eating bread but that alone hasn't given him diabetes. He does eat pretty well otherwise, albeit not low carb.. But I reckon he must have insulin resistance by his age.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
A bit like meat then?

I disagree. Meat isn't addictive. Not like bread. I have a tonne of different meats sitting in my fridge right now - beef heart, lamb steaks, chicken thighs, bacon, chicken liver. None of them are making me feel like I have to have them like this bread was doing to me now... Although the beef heart, which I only started eating for the first time a few weeks ago, did make me go back for seconds! Who knew how good that was?!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I disagree. Meat isn't addictive. Not like bread. I have a tonne of different meats sitting in my fridge right now - beef heart, lamb steaks, chicken thighs, bacon, chicken liver. None of them are making me feel like I have to have them like this bread was doing to me now... Although the beef heart, which I only started eating for the first time a few weeks ago, did make me go back for seconds! Who knew how good that was?!
Isn't the real desire for bread driven by the fact that you can't have any? If suddenly you weren't allowed to eat meat wouldn't you crave it like an addiction. You have only to see the amount of posts horrified by the prospect of a move towards meat free foods to realise how people are attached to eating meat.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I LOVE bread. There, I've said it. I am sure it is addictive and all the rest and I have never eaten that tasteless white sliced, (Yes, I know I can use insulin for it and I know all bread is carbs). I don't eat a lot of it these days (never did really) but I draw the line at eating some low carb concoction that is flimsy and seedy tasting. I would rather have a 3rd of a slice of @Cocosilk's husband's homemade sourdough! That is a small slice I know and others may not want or be able to stop there, but give up bread forever???? To know I could never taste a crusty, soft, moist, slice of.....where was I???? x

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Isn't the real desire for bread driven by the fact that you can't have any? If suddenly you weren't allowed to eat meat wouldn't you crave it like an addiction. You have only to see the amount of posts horrified by the prospect of a move towards meat free foods to realise how people are attached to eating meat.

In my opinion, meat is vital for health. I see it with my 11 month baby. I give him small pieces of meat (often liver because it's soft) and sweet potato or some other vegetables. He's funny. He throws the sweet potato bits on the floor and eats the liver. As if he knows by instinct that it's more nutritious. And he would be right. He does also like bread though. And I think grains, once you become addicted to them, can override your natual instinct toward more nutrient dense foods like meat.

Reactions: Member496333

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I LOVE bread. There, I've said it. I am sure it is addictive and all the rest and I have never eaten that tasteless white sliced, (Yes, I know I can use insulin for it and I know all bread is carbs). I don't eat a lot of it these days (never did really) but I draw the line at eating some low carb concoction that is flimsy and seedy tasting. I would rather have a 3rd of a slice of @Cocosilk's husband's homemade sourdough! That is a small slice I know and others may not want or be able to stop there, but give up bread forever???? To know I could never taste a crusty, soft, moist, slice of.....where was I???? x
I had a bit of rye bread for the first time in a while and I closed my eyes and danced a bit as I ate it. The kids thought I was nuts :happy:

M

Member496333

As if he knows by instinct that it's more nutritious.

I don't want to get too far into the weeds with this, as I realise it will tumble off topic and probably end up with pistols at dawn, but it's been said by many that there's a reason children generally have to be trained into eating vegetables, yet will make a beeline for any meat and organs within a mile radius. You can't cheat three million years of genetic programming. Or so they say.

As you were :bag:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yet will make a beeline for any meat and organs within a mile radius
Children drawn to eat liver, kidneys, hearts - do you have any experience of feeding children? Burgers, sausages, chicken nuggets more likely.