Has anyone tried this low carb bread from Aldi?

M

Member496333

Children drawn to eat liver, kidneys, hearts - do you have any experience of feeding children? Burgers, sausages, chicken nuggets more likely.

Well let's not get too hung up on it and derail the thread. It was a casual response perhaps lending some credence to someone else's comment on their own experience. This topic isn't about me, or meat. You brought it up :angelic:

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Children drawn to eat liver, kidneys, hearts - do you have any experience of feeding children? Burgers, sausages, chicken nuggets more likely.
They'd have chocolate for breakfast too if that was on offer. I guess that's why CocoPops are so popular. The key is not to offer it in the first place, isn't it?
It's already too late for our household where the Easter bunny hid some chocolate eggs in the garden. The conditioning of sweet treat and good times has already been firmly established but fortunately since both parents enjoy offal, the kids are also happy to eat it as well. In fact they fight over it. I'm proud of that. I'm sure they would take bread before liver if it were on their plate - so would I - but when it's not on the plate, it's not an option.

Last edited:
Reactions: KK123

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Second update (because one lot of punishment was not enough), I had another slice of this low carb bread today, just to make sure I was right about it yesterday. And yep, tummy ache again. It's not for me. The combination of wheat, soy, lupin, apple fibre and whatever else is could be the cause is much harder on the tummy than my husband's sourdough rye, so it's back to the odd half slice of that every now and then instead.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding choices children make - my sister always either made her own bread or bought wholemeal - but if she ever sent her older daughter to the local shop for a loaf, she'd come back with a white one.:wideyed:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
@Cocosilk - I did make this one today, pretty easy and came out good. I may have to play around with it a bit to get it just how I want it, but it may be worth trying if interested?

Make your own loaf recipe is about 2/3rd of the way down the page. Basically eggs, butter and almond flour or I used almond meal.

https://www.ketoconnect.net/best-keto-bread/

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
@Cocosilk - I did make this one today, pretty easy and came out good. I may have to play around with it a bit to get it just how I want it, but it may be worth trying if interested?

Make your own loaf recipe is about 2/3rd of the way down the page. Basically eggs, butter and almond flour or I used almond meal.

https://www.ketoconnect.net/best-keto-bread/

Thanks for that. I did like the Diet Doctor keto bread as well but I made it without the psyllium husks after I ate one too many and they gave me a tummy ache. I like what the vinegar does to the flavour too. It's probably the most convincing nut bread / low carb bread alternative to regular wheat bread - I'm just lazy about baking it and am using up my daily nut allowance on a mug cake since I heard JoKalsbeek talking about them. (They take under 2 mins in the microwave.) I just have to face the fact that breads of any kind (made with flour) not only spike my blood sugar but often give me heartburn, and low carb breads that are not made with any of the usual grains suspects are usually made with nut flours, and there's only so many nuts you can eat in a day, right?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Thanks for that. I did like the Diet Doctor keto bread as well but I made it without the psyllium husks after I ate one too many and they gave me a tummy ache. I like what the vinegar does to the flavour too. It's probably the most convincing nut bread / low carb bread alternative to regular wheat bread - I'm just lazy about baking it and am using up my daily nut allowance on a mug cake since I heard JoKalsbeek talking about them. (They take under 2 mins in the microwave.) I just have to face the fact that breads of any kind (made with flour) not only spike my blood sugar but often give me heartburn, and low carb breads that are not made with any of the usual grains suspects are usually made with nut flours, and there's only so many nuts you can eat in a day, right?

I tend to bake or cook stuff that is easy and quick, hence the keto link. I also sometimes do the mug cakes, same as @JoKalsbeek has... we've also talked mug cakes!

Reactions: Cocosilk