Hate that I'm here :(

Traceylh

I do the same, think about it day in and day out, when my daughter is at school i am constantly on edge but its getting the little bit easier everyday, and I must say the school is fantastic, they always tell me at the end if everyday how she has been and they always ring me if her sugars are low, we did have done issues as at first they weren't watching how much of her dinner she had eaten but that us now sorted!
If you ever want to chat just pm me, and good luck for tomorrow xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mumsey

My heart goes out to you, I too am a parent of a newly diagnosed child aged 10 type 1.
I found for me the best way to get through it is stop the blame and whys and just accept that the way thing are and move on.
Sounds harsh but as my husband is still finding it hard to accept i have to be the grown up for the sake of my child.
Good luck :thumbup:

jasperc

I have a 9 year old boy diagnosed type 1 a month ago. He's been absolutely amazing, now looking after his own blood sugars and insulin! It does get so much easier and life has returned to relative normality- we just have to eat healthily, keep a track on his blood sugars and give insulin accordingly.

glenmoray

Don't get upset people with diabetes can live a near normal life when a diet and insulin regime is sorted out. You will get use to injecting him and so will he and weighing his food out will easily become normal for you. When he goes to school the school nurse will look after his insulin and give him his injection if he cannot inject himself just before his lunch. She will also advise you on testing his sugars when at school. This time next year you will be thinking what was I panicking over. If you look after his diet and insulin taking he will live a long life with hopefully no complications. I hope this helps you.

jodie_r21

Hey. I dont know whether this helps but i was diagnosed aged 4 (i'm 29 now) and in my opinion i think it helped that i was so young. I don't remember not being diabetic and as regards insulin/ diet/ blood testing etc they are just normal life since i don't remember not having to inject. The best thing my mum did was to keep me to a strict diet the majority of the time

jodie_r21

Sorry didnt finish that last message. She kept me to a strict diet most of the time but still allowed me to be 'normal' when it came to special occasions (birthday parties/ days out etc) and closely monitored my sugars adjusting my insulin if needed.

emmamadi

Hi!
My son was diagnosed nearly 2 years ago aged2. He is now 4. Like you I felt horrible. It took me 6 months of feeling horrible to get a little back to our new 'normal'. I was very down for a while but now life is back to being good. I feel horrible when diabetes effects my son, be that highs or lows, and his behaviour is affected, but we cope, it's not easy by any means, but we do cope. Please feel free to get in touch :)
Emma :wave: