Have a new diagnosis and common cold

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!
I have new diagnosis of Typeople 1 at 30y.o. Been in hospital 3 days to manage and discharged yesterday. On lantus and novorapid.
Have woken up at homewith a cold, my BG is raised 13-15 before breakfast and (having been ketone free for 48hrs before discharge) I now have one+ on urine dipstick.

The leaflet about managing sickness says 10% of prev 24hrs insulin every 2hrs. I was on mix of sliding scale and my basal-bolus dose. Omitting my lantus dose(10units), I had 44units insulin in 24hrs when I calculate it.

I imagine 4 units every 2 hrs seems a lot? Or does it. I'm being cautious as I don't want to take too much. But I have heard illness can cause havoc with sugar control. My diabetes nurses aren't in till Monday to ask.

Keeping hydrated and still eating. On analgesia.

Thanks very much for any advice!
K xx

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @katmcd Welcome to the forum ;)

Sorry to hear you're not well, it's really quite a tricky situation for anyone on here to give advice about as you are so newly diagnosed and your body hasn't had much time to adjust to your new insulin regime, so gauging the effectiveness of taking correction doses based on sick day rules may not be wholly accurate at such an early stage. My advice is to call the NHS helpline on 111 and to get someone to call you back and to go through your levels and doses with them over the phone.

As a general rule on the site we cannot advise you on insulin doses. Keeping hydrated and to continue eating is very important but so is giving your body time to heal and looking after yourself, I hope you are feeling better soon and please shout if you need any support :)