Have I caused damage.

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so tonight I went round to a friends house and she did pizza for dinner (frozen deep pan)...I usually do my own Wholemeal one and my blood sugars are fine.

So I tested my blood after an hour and 20 mins: 7.2 mmol
Then 2 hrs it went up to 8.6mmol.
Then 2hr 40 mins my blood sugar was down to 5.1.

Have I caused a load of damage?
I have tested other family and friends who aren’t diabetic and perfectly healthy and even their blood has been an 8 the odd time after things like pizza and pasta.

Reactions: 1spuds

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
In my opinion No as your level went right back down, it takes months and months of constant high readings to even be anywhere near causing damage .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt you have done yourself any damage at all. You returned to normal, which is excellent. Damage is done when this happens daily over a period of time. A one-off is fine.

Because pizzas have a lot of fat in them this holds down a really high spike but the rise takes longer to drop back to normal. Pizzas can also be funny things, you may see another rise later. You can look up "pizza effect" and it will tell you better than I can because I don't eat pizza and never have done so have no personal experience.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
You should be fine, it came down pretty quick and good on you for checking your bloods afterwards so if there isn't a really late spike and some fasting highs you'll be okay.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
No damage whatsoever. I have one (rarely) but choose the toppings carefully (pepperoni / bacon / ham / mushrooms / cheese) and load it with triple meat servings to offset the dough and choose family size. Three meals out of it and zero impact.

EDIT - I should add that our pizza offerings in Australia are massive and varied and I''d go nowhere other than an independent

Last edited:

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt you have done yourself any damage at all. You returned to normal, which is excellent. Damage is done when this happens daily over a period of time. A one-off is fine.

Because pizzas have a lot of fat in them this holds down a really high spike but the rise takes longer to drop back to normal. Pizzas can also be funny things, you may see another rise later. You can look up "pizza effect" and it will tell you better than I can because I don't eat pizza and never have done so have no personal experience.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I don’t feel as panicky now. Its because I read somewhere that beta cells get ‘destroyed’ over 7.8 mmol...but also read they can regenerate so I get confused and worried about that too

Reactions: Freema and 1spuds
M

Member496333

No that’s not a cause for concern.

However, I personally caution against reading too much into the blood measurements of others who “aren’t diabetic” given that some data suggests upwards of 50% of the population (in the US admittedly) have some level of undiagnosed metabolic dysfunction and hyperinsulinemia.

But besides that, ~8mmol/L is not likely to be causing any real harm in the short term. Whether or not it’s acceptable to the individual is a personal matter. I wouldn’t worry too much, though I also wouldn’t make a habit of it, but that is just me. Some also believe that whole body glucose is as important as the measurable “overspill” of blood glucose, but there’s no need to go into that here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Freema

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No that’s not a cause for concern.

However, I personally caution against reading too much into the blood measurements of others who “aren’t diabetic” given that some data suggests upwards of 50% of the population (in the US admittedly) have some level of undiagnosed metabolic dysfunction and hyperinsulinemia.

But besides that, ~8mmol/L is not likely to be causing any real harm in the short term. Whether or not it’s acceptable to the individual is a personal matter. I wouldn’t worry too much, though I also wouldn’t make a habit of it, but that is just me. Some also believe that whole body glucose is as important as the measurable “overspill” of blood glucose, but there’s no need to go into that here.

Thanks for that :)