Have just started Gliclazide

barb1

Hi

Ive just been started on Gliclazide and it states that you should check your blood sugars regularly. How long after a meal should you check to see if your blood sugar has gone down, 1 or 2 hours? :?

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The reason you need to test is that Gliclazide can cause hypos, and when you are new to the drug you need to monitor how it is affecting you in order to avoid having hypos. So I would suggest you test quite frequently at first until you can see the pattern. I found when I first went on it that I got very low just before lunchtime..... I took to having an oaty biscuit with my mid-morning coffee to tide me over until I ate my lunch. As time went on I found I knew what to expect without testing too often.
It is, however, also very important that you test before you drive, and at regular intervals during a journey. Normally every two hours is suggested, but when you are new to the drug you should perhaps test more often than that.
If your doctor is reluctant to prescribe test strips he/she needs to be reminded of the need to test before and during driving, for safety reasons.
You also need to tell your insurance company you are on Gliclazide... it shouldn't affect your premium.