Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I will either have to abandon LCHF and see higher numbers or take bg lowering drugs so that I can add carbs to my diet. This is because of weight loss. I have raised the level of fats and protein in my diet and I have started snacking again deliberately to stop weight loss and after weighing myself this evening I see that after three weeks of these raised fats etc I have again lost weight and I am well into the underweight category.

I am way overdue for my A1c. I have been putting it off specifically because I cannot think of a reason not to be weighed, however, I am always weighed as part of the checks I have for my primary condition so eventually something will be said.

My question is, gun to head, which drugs should I be researching? I would rather not take the class of drugs that squeezes the life out of beta cells.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have no idea about what meds you could take, I take metformin and victoza.
Because of my bipolar meds which make me hungry, it's like fighting a losing battle to control my bs levels. But since my victoza was increased, the levels during the day are a lot better. It's just my morning bs level that is up and down.
I have tried LHCF in the early days but just couldn,t do it.

Hands up to you for admitting about not wanting to lose any more weight.

I hope other members can suggest anything

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have no idea about what meds you could take, I take metformin and victoza.
Because of my bipolar meds which make me hungry, it's like fighting a losing battle to control my bs levels. But since my victoza was increased, the levels during the day are a lot better. It's just my morning bs level that is up and down.
I have tried LHCF in the early days but just couldn,t do it.

Hands up to you for admitting about not wanting to lose any more weight.

I hope other members can suggest anything

Thanks, Ally.

Reactions: ickihun

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will either have to abandon LCHF and see higher numbers or take bg lowering drugs so that I can add carbs to my diet. This is because of weight loss. I have raised the level of fats and protein in my diet and I have started snacking again deliberately to stop weight loss and after weighing myself this evening I see that after three weeks of these raised fats etc I have again lost weight and I am well into the underweight category.

I am way overdue for my A1c. I have been putting it off specifically because I cannot think of a reason not to be weighed, however, I am always weighed as part of the checks I have for my primary condition so eventually something will be said.

My question is, gun to head, which drugs should I be researching? I would rather not take the class of drugs that squeezes the life out of beta cells.

I remember wondering about this when you mentioned the problem with weight loss in another thread.

The obvious thing to have mentioned at that time was of course the "I" word but I figured that would be an absolute last resort. It does seem to help with both lowering blood glucose and putting on weight for a lot of people, so is 'one of' the obvious choices but I imagine not one that fills anyone with great joy.

Whatever you end up going for, I wish you the best of luck. And really, it's not defeat. From what I gather you've tried everything, and you have unusual circumstances, and frankly enough to deal with. It's all about quality of life and happiness.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to agree with @Terrytiddy

Information is power. That HbA1c number is information you can use to decide the way forward.

Besides, LCHF isn’t an ON/OFF switch.
Instead there are three dials ;) , one each for fat, carbs and protein, with your blood glucose testing and your scales acting to help to influence your various tipping points. Drugs are just another variable.

Just a suggestion: why not try increasing carbs gradually to find your personal compromise between acceptable blood glucose and weight gain/loss. It is the advice given in the Atkins diet. They suggest starting low and increasing carbs til you know exactly what level of carbs causes loss, stasis or gain. Then you work it to your advantage :)

If that doesn’t work out (or if you have done that already) then medication is a logical step, and no shame in it!!!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I remember wondering about this when you mentioned the problem with weight loss in another thread.

The obvious thing to have mentioned at that time was of course the "I" word but I figured that would be an absolute last resort. It does seem to help with both lowering blood glucose and putting on weight for a lot of people, so is 'one of' the obvious choices but I imagine not one that fills anyone with great joy.

Whatever you end up going for, I wish you the best of luck. And really, it's not defeat. From what I gather you've tried everything, and you have unusual circumstances, and frankly enough to deal with. It's all about quality of life and happiness.

Quality of life. Got it in one. TY.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That seems a great shame but maybe you will find you tolerate a level of carbs that allows you to continue without meds. If you've successfully lowered your resistance via LCHF perhaps this is possible?
According to Jason Fung those drugs that help you pee out the glucose rather than make more of it. This is from Diabetes Code (written 2017 so up to date).
Oral hypoglycemics in type 2 diabetes: A comparison
GOOD -Drugs Acarbose SGLT2 inhibitors GLP-1 analogues BAD Metformin DPP-4 inhibitors
UGLY Insulin Sulfonylureas TZDs
The Good ones lower insulin response, the bad ones are neutral and the ugly ones are associated with weight gain which I know you seek but at the cost of worse cardiovascular outcomes.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sending hugs. Have no clue what to suggest, but hope you can find a way forward.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Why is insulin so unpopular? I realise injecting isn't very appealing. But apart from hypos it doesn't have any side effects, and offers a fair degree of flexibility, you can chose the amount of carbs you want to eat, every day.

Some of us type 1s find it quite useful.

Anyone, it's a new challenge for you @Guzzler and being underweight isn't good, and there are some quite nice tasting carbohydrates, with some lovely nutrients in them.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is insulin so unpopular? I realising injecting isn't very appealing. But apart from hypos it doesn't have any side effects, and offers a fair degree of flexibility, you can chose the amount of carbs you want to eat, every day.

I'm not sure I'd say it's unpopular. All I can say is, like many T2s on this forum who come here to learn how best to manage the problem naturally, I see insulin as a last resort. A very useful last resort which makes me very grateful to be living in a time and a place where it's available.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have to agree with @Terrytiddy

Information is power. That HbA1c number is information you can use to decide the way forward.

Besides, LCHF isn’t an ON/OFF switch.
Instead there are three dials ;) , one each for fat, carbs and protein, with your blood glucose testing and your scales acting to help to influence your various tipping points. Drugs are just another variable.

Just a suggestion: why not try increasing carbs gradually to find your personal compromise between acceptable blood glucose and weight gain/loss. It is the advice given in the Atkins diet. They suggest starting low and increasing carbs til you know exactly what level of carbs causes loss, stasis or gain. Then you work it to your advantage :)

If that doesn’t work out (or if you have done that already) then medication is a logical step, and no shame in it!!!

I am not ashamed, far from it. LCHF has improved my A1c, improved my pain levels and improved my prognosis so I am loathe to abandon it. I have jiggled the carbs but any higher than 50g and my pre/post prandial difference is over 2mmol sometimes a lot more. I am unable to stall this weight loss for more than a couple of weeks and this is affecting me mentally.
My eldest lives a fair distance away so it can be weeks in between seeing him. He came over Easter and immediately raged at me calling me 'cadaverous'. He wants me to stop and I have no good argument against stopping now.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure I'd say it's unpopular. All I can say is, like many T2s on this forum who come here to learn how best to manage the problem naturally, I see insulin as a last resort. A very useful last resort which makes me very grateful to be living in a time and a place where it's available.

It is. I just find it strange that it's seen as a last resort. When in many ways the side effects of some of the alternatives aren't too good, and insulin might be better than those side effects, sometimes.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Why is insulin so unpopular? I realise injecting isn't very appealing. But apart from hypos it doesn't have any side effects, and offers a fair degree of flexibility, you can chose the amount of carbs you want to eat, every day.

Anyone, it's a new challenge for you @Guzzler and being underweight isn't good, and there are some quite nice tasting carbohydrates, with some lovely nutrients in them.

I did not mention insulin in particular. I do not have a problem with injections.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is. I just find it strange that it's seen as a last resort. When in many ways the side effects of some of the alternatives aren't too good, and insulin might be better than those side effects, sometimes.

Most type 2s start off with insulin resistance - which is known to cause as much (if not more) damage as longterm raised blood glucose levels; heart disease, Alzheimers and hypertension, to name a few. Adding medications that raise insulin levels further, => greater insulin resistance => More damage done by high insulin levels.

Of course, that only applies to people with insulin resistance.

If @Guzzler is suffering from low insulin levels and no insulin resistance, rather than high, then supplementing her natural insulin would be a GREAT move.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That seems a great shame but maybe you will find you tolerate a level of carbs that allows you to continue without meds. If you've successfully lowered your resistance via LCHF perhaps this is possible?
According to Jason Fung those drugs that help you pee out the glucose rather than make more of it. This is from Diabetes Code (written 2017 so up to date).
Oral hypoglycemics in type 2 diabetes: A comparison
GOOD -Drugs Acarbose SGLT2 inhibitors GLP-1 analogues BAD Metformin DPP-4 inhibitors
UGLY Insulin Sulfonylureas TZDs
The Good ones lower insulin response, the bad ones are neutral and the ugly ones are associated with weight gain which I know you seek but at the cost of worse cardiovascular outcomes.

Thank you, I intend to do the reading before having my A1c so that I can discuss the options rather than give the DN free reign on any decision.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you're struggling - those of us that struggle to lose weight often forget that there is the other side of the coin for some- hope you can find a solution. I do take a small dose of gliclizide, I set off on max dose and have managed to reduce it over the years to 1/2 a tab with breakfast and evening meal. Been on it 9 years and still not anywhere near burn out so it maybe you could use it short term to help your weight gain. I know you said you'd rather not but like I say it may be a short term solution.

There is another forum member who has been on it for over 20 years but for the life I can't recall who it is to tag them - hopefully they'll see this or someone else will tag them for me