DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Grown-up Mr. Whippy!

Happy to have been of service, and those sultanas would last forever, in rum/brandy, in a small Kilner jar for a veeeeeeery long time. In this house, they wouldn't have to, for fairly obvious reasons, so just saying. :angelic:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I havent read thru all 5 pages, but dont rush in thinking weight loss is down to lchf... it could be due to other reasons (one of top head is over active thyroid).

For me, I would get all my bloods tested like WBC, thyroid, b12, d3, ferritin etc. It could possibly be something else besides lchf causing weightloss.

Adding some protein and / or dried skimmed powder in to food helps if losing weight..(not to lose weight but to put some on). Also I had healthy smoothys made up of mainly veg and milk) when I went to barely a size 6 and lost 2 stone which I desperately had to get back on me). Although a T1, I have severe restrictions on my foods due to stomach/colon problems. So I too have a constant battle. However I am a stable size 8-10 now and maintain it).

Last edited:
Reactions: Grant_Vicat

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I believe in Low Carb but not High Fat. That advice for diabetics to take High Fat is not evidence-based. It might lead to slow death.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I believe in Low Carb but not High Fat. That advice for diabetics to take High Fat is not evidence-based. It might lead to slow death.

Please explain

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse

You really have to explain this to me.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't agree. Low fat might lead to slow death as we need fat to live. The low fat diets that have been pushed since the 1970's were not evidence based. I have been so much healthier since I adopted a high fat diet.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
In terms of the length of human history, the microscopic analysis of diet is seconds old. Even in the last 25 years we have been bombarded by "researched" advice on what we should be eating and much of this is contradictory. On this forum it is clear that happily LCHF works for a large number of people, and it is therefore alarming when it appears to stop working in some cases. Even in one family, such as mine, you can have one child with a highly efficient metabolism, one with an average and one with Type1. But if I as the Type1 had not stuck to 245g of carbs to the present day, evenly spread (not more than 60 in any 3 hours), I probably wouldn't exist now. That works for me. Like @achike I would say that we simply have not had long enough to know the long term effects on any of the diets advocated in my lifetime. They are now telling us that the scientific advice given out 50 years ago about fat is wrong. Great if that is true, but what will they be telling us in 50 years time?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will either have to abandon LCHF and see higher numbers or take bg lowering drugs so that I can add carbs to my diet. This is because of weight loss. I have raised the level of fats and protein in my diet and I have started snacking again deliberately to stop weight loss and after weighing myself this evening I see that after three weeks of these raised fats etc I have again lost weight and I am well into the underweight category.

I am way overdue for my A1c. I have been putting it off specifically because I cannot think of a reason not to be weighed, however, I am always weighed as part of the checks I have for my primary condition so eventually something will be said.

My question is, gun to head, which drugs should I be researching? I would rather not take the class of drugs that squeezes the life out of beta cells.
There comes a point where us lean people can't afford to loose any more weight. I lost a lot when I went LCHF eating more fat made no difference to my weight loss just put my cholesterol up and I did not enjoy eating more fat anyway. I looked so scrawny so I did up the carbs somewhat I now eat all kinds of vegetables which I have always loved lower portions of fruit potatoes and bread and I even have a packet of crisps or a couple of sugar free biscuits when I fancy them sometimes and am back to eating lower fat as even before diabetes lowe fat was my natural way of eating but not because I was told to I prefer it. I have put some some weight back on now and it is now steady my HbA1c in March was 45

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry you're struggling - those of us that struggle to lose weight often forget that there is the other side of the coin for some- hope you can find a solution. I do take a small dose of gliclizide, I set off on max dose and have managed to reduce it over the years to 1/2 a tab with breakfast and evening meal. Been on it 9 years and still not anywhere near burn out so it maybe you could use it short term to help your weight gain. I know you said you'd rather not but like I say it may be a short term solution.

There is another forum member who has been on it for over 20 years but for the life I can't recall who it is to tag them - hopefully they'll see this or someone else will tag them for me
This is a similar path to the one I follow. I too found keto LCHF to be too much of a sledgehammer as regards weight loss, and I too used an LC diet (but not keto) to reduce my Gliclazide from 320 mg to 40 mg a day, and my Metformin from 2000 mg down to 1000 mg a day. I am currently dropping my Metformin to 500 mg, but my bgl levels have risen by about 1 mmol/l and I am about to lose my 'Normal' rating.

I am happy with the Glic so far. Not been 20 years on it, but my insulin response has improved recently and I am more carb tolerant so I am hopeful in possibly losing the Glic entirely. I am prioritizing reduction of Metformin because I am getting lactic acid buildup when I walk any distance or climb stairs.

May I suggest you look at the Pioppi diet advocated by Dr Aseem Malhotra who recommends it to his cardiac patients. It is not specifically LC and is not keto, but seems to fit between LCHF and the Mediterranean diet, and seems to be working for me, My weight has been quite stable for the last year, and varies by about 1 kg in 6 months. I need braces to keep my jeans up now, and I need to add a new hole in my belt since it no longer works as a belt. This will be the third I have needed to add to a belt that has in the past been too tight and was needing extending when I started LCHF, so I have lost many inches off my midriff.

There is no shame in not going keto, no rules broken, and in the end you need to forge your own pathway. I find LC as a general rule to be useful, and I look on it as a new lifestyle rather than a DIET, so although I can tolerate the occasional splash out, I am reminded by my meter and that ensures I do not lapse for long.

I should add that I also use a moderate amount of fasting in my control regime, and that I believe is quite important since I do absolutely ZERO exercise. This is possibly an adjunct you might consider as a way of reducing bgl without adding more meds. There are so many ways to crack this nut. The real takeaway secret is not LCHF, but Eat to Meter IMHO

Reactions: Guzzler

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There comes a point where us lean people can't afford to loose any more weight. I lost a lot when I went LCHF eating more fat made no difference to my weight loss just put my cholesterol up and I did not enjoy eating more fat anyway. I looked so scrawny so I did up the carbs somewhat I now eat all kinds of vegetables which I have always loved lower portions of fruit potatoes and bread and I even have a packet of crisps or a couple of sugar free biscuits when I fancy them sometimes and am back to eating lower fat as even before diabetes lowe fat was my natural way of eating but not because I was told to I prefer it. I have put some some weight back on now and it is now steady my HbA1c in March was 45
I remember when you first joined the forum you were pre-diabetic. So your diabetes progressed toT2 and is now improved so that it is back to where you started with us, and eating very much the same diet too. I am glad your weight has settled at last, I know it was a worry to you. :)

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

A low carb low fat diet would, in my opinion, equate to an extremely restricted calorie diet. These calorie restricted diets which expound low fat havn't seen a decline in all cause mortality over the last forty years, however, we have and are seeing rising rates of CVD and CHD.
If I were to go low fat now 'for my heart' and low carb for my Diabetes then I fail to see what I would thrive on.
Low carb is not a new concept.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

So exactly what do you eat on a low carb/low fat diet? Where are you getting your energy from?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will either have to abandon LCHF and see higher numbers or take bg lowering drugs so that I can add carbs to my diet. This is because of weight loss. I have raised the level of fats and protein in my diet and I have started snacking again deliberately to stop weight loss and after weighing myself this evening I see that after three weeks of these raised fats etc I have again lost weight and I am well into the underweight category.

I am way overdue for my A1c. I have been putting it off specifically because I cannot think of a reason not to be weighed, however, I am always weighed as part of the checks I have for my primary condition so eventually something will be said.

My question is, gun to head, which drugs should I be researching? I would rather not take the class of drugs that squeezes the life out of beta cells.

I think that is sad that you feel you have been defeated you shouldn't it is just that our bodies are very fickle and can change over time and what suited us once sometimes no longer does that is normal. .Not one of us can really say the LCHF way of eating will suit us for life things can change at any time. Adjust your diet to what you think will suit you better it may mean a few more carbs but could mean gaining some weight.. I know I needed to do that to gain some weight back... LCHF is just not for everyone others have said here they can't do it but that should never make us feel defeated

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think that is sad that you feel you have been defeated you shouldn't it is just that our bodies are very fickle and can change over time and what suited us once sometimes no longer does that is normal. .Not one of us can really say the LCHF way of eating will suit us for life things can change at any time. Adjust your diet to what you think will suit you better it may mean a few more carbs but could mean gaining some weight.. I know I needed to do that to gain some weight back... LCHF is just not for everyone others have said here they can't do it but that should never make us feel defeated

Thank you for your kind words. I knew early on that diet alone may not always suit me, the aging process is bound to have an effect. I just didn't expect this particular problem and for this stumbling block to to appear in what seems to me to be comparatively short time since diagnosis, if that makes sense.
Sometimes it takes me a while to get my head around a problem and only then am I able to make a plan of action. I am not there yet.