Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My DN told me only to test when I as ill, which I strongly disagree with and didn't take any notice, so I agree with you there. However, I'm sorry but I have to disagree that being diabetic does not make you ill, it just means you have an underlying health condition that you must pay attention to, otherwise you will become ill. I am certainly not an ill person, but that's because I test regularly so i know what to do to keep myself well.
You are ill, as am I. We wish to avoid complications from our illness.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not Ill, and I never have been as a result of my diabetes. I might have functioned less well when my bloods were higher, but I wouldn't ever have called it ill.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Semantics I suppose, but I agree with @Tweetypie, I have a condition that I manage, in the same way I manage my short sight by wearing glasses. I'll become ill if I lose the good management and develop complications. I certainly don't feel ill, in fact I'm better by far than before I was diagnosed.

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Semantics I suppose, but I agree with @Tweetypie, I have a condition that I manage, in the same way I manage my short sight by wearing glasses. I'll become ill if I lose the good management and develop complications. I certainly don't feel ill, in fact I'm better by far than before I was diagnosed.
Well ok, but HIV can be managed nowadays.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As can chronic leukaemia, and evidenced by my 74 year old neighbour who is as fit as a flee. He plays golf most days and I would defy anyone here to correctly guess his age. He'd be horrified to be called ill, but he has something he lives extremely well with.

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As can chronic leukaemia, and evidenced by my 74 year old neighbour who is as fit as a flee. He plays golf most days and I would defy anyone here to correctly guess his age. He'd be horrified to be called ill, but he has something he lives extremely well with.
But he is ill.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm saying the type of leukaemia he has is a chronic, low grade condition with which he can expect to live a normal life span, provided his maintenance regime is adhered to. He does not consider himself to be ill. We've had the discussion.

He's a great bloke.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like many conditions it can range from quickly lethal to a low grade inconvenience.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this topic or well completely derail this thread.

Apologies to the OP.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got T2 diabetes and an under active thyroid but I count myself as having 2 manageable conditions as opposed to being ill because I don't feel I'll!

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I will leave this thread. I'm glad my inability to walk is not down to an illness.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Beardie, I understand you feel strongly that is an illness, but I just feel strongly that I am not an ill person despite having diabetes. Would it not be fair to say it's a chronic long term condition rather than an illness? If you don't manage your condition, then you will become ill. Just before I was diagnosed and for a while until my condition was under control, I was very poorly/ill call it what you like, now I would say I am otherwise fit and well. I just think the word "illness" is more something I would refer to as something you cannot control, whereas diabetes can be controllled. I just think it's unfair to say that if you are diabetic, you are an ill person. You can have diabetes and be very well and live a long life. You can be well despite having diabetes.
Terminology will always mean different things to different people, I am happy to have a difference of opinion on this and I won't judge you for having yours.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I will leave this thread. I'm glad my inability to walk is not down to an illness.

Beardie - I am not saying some people can't be ill with diabetes, any more than am I not saying Leukaemia is serious. What I am saying is that diabetes, like many other conditions I can think of - arthritis, hypertension, asthma are just a few examples, are what I term "portfolio conditions". In other words, the label covers a great breadth and depth of symptoms/asymptomatic individuals/debility/disability/life impingement. My diabetes is a bump in life's road for me, so far. That could change for all I know. My neighbour's leukaemia is a bump in life's road for him. On the other hand, a good friend of mine's late wife died as a result of an acute, aggressive form of leukaemia, so her condition was the ultimate bump in life's road.

I cannot say how much I dislike labels. Not one single one of us feels exactly the same as any other about the deal we have been dealt, and I certainly feel differently at this time in 2015 than I did in 2014.

I wasn't having a go at you, or anyone else in robustly stating that I am not ill, and that I do not consider I suffer from an illness. It's just absolutely how the label applies to me, at this time.

I hope that clarifies my position on the matter, because my posts were not made to upset you, but they clearly have.

Last edited by a moderator:

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Beardie - I am not saying some people can't be ill with diabetes, any more than am I not saying Leukaemia is serious. What I am saying is that diabetes, like many other conditions I can think of - arthritis, hypertension, asthma are just a few examples, are what I term "portfolio conditions". In other words, the label covers a great breadth and depth of symptoms/asymptomatic individuals/debility/disability/life impingement. My diabetes is a bump in life's road for me, so far. That could change for all I know. My neighbour's leukaemia is a bump in life's road for him. On the other hand, a good friend of mine's late wife died as a result of an acute, aggressive form of leukaemia, so her condition was the ultimate bump in life's road.

I cannot say how much I dislike labels. Not one single one of us feels exactly the same as any other about the deal we have been dealt, and I certainly feel differently at this time in 2015 than I did in 2014.

I wasn't having a go at you, or anyone else in robustly stating that I am not ill, and that I do not consider I suffer from an illness. It's just absolutely how the label applies to me, at this time.

I hope that clarifies my position on the matter, because my posts were not made to upset you, but they clearly have.
your posts didn't upset me:)

Last edited by a moderator:

flashy158

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
yep, my nurse said do not test, just had a telling off that my count has gone up and to take the maximum metformin... if i was allowed to test i would know what my numbers were, not having to wait 6 bloody months to find out.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
yep, my nurse said do not test, just had a telling off that my count has gone up and to take the maximum metformin... if i was allowed to test i would know what my numbers were, not having to wait 6 bloody months to find out.

Ignore the nurse, of course you are allowed to test, it's your body not theirs. You just have to buy your own meter and strips.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Agree with @sanguine. Of course you can test. That is a silly remark from your nurse. Will she send the police round if you do?

I suggest you start testing now, learn from it, and then you can tell your nurse you did it your way, not hers.