Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
This is not to do with money. If you are eating a sensible diet in moderate sized portions, all you are doing by measuring your blood sugar is adding completely unnecessary pressure to your life.

BUT - what is a "sensible diet?" Certainly NOT what you were advised in the Diabetes UK booklets you were given.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not to do with money. If you are eating a sensible diet in moderate sized portions, all you are doing by measuring your blood sugar is adding completely unnecessary pressure to your life.
To an extent I agree however diabetes is not a 'one size fits all' condition in that what raises BS levels in one person will not affect another and it is only by testing that we can see what we, as individuals, can eat without causing a rise in our blood sugars. A healthy diet for me used to be lots of fruit, brown rice, pasta, bread, jacket potatoes and anything low in fat and sugar but I still got T2 diabetes. By testing I know what I can eat to keep my hba1c within non diabetic levels and lose weight at the same time and it's definitely not what I used to!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What affects my blood sugars can and does change over time which is the main reason I prefer to keep testing regularly. It's way too easy for me to slip back in to former eating habits (similar to @Daphne917 ) because it's easy, but then it can take days to get back to my now pretty well controlled levels.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
To an extent I agree however diabetes is not a 'one size fits all' condition in that what raises BS levels in one person will not affect another and it is only by testing that we can see what we, as individuals, can eat without causing a rise in our blood sugars. A healthy diet for me used to be lots of fruit, brown rice, pasta, bread, jacket potatoes and anything low in fat and sugar but I still got T2 diabetes. By testing I know what I can eat to keep my hba1c within non diabetic levels and lose weight at the same time and it's definitely not what I used to!

That is NOT a healthy diet for anyone - those carbs are a major course of weight gain & raised blood glucose. Clean fresh natural fats are not a problem - they are slow to digest so suppressing hunger, & provide sustained energy, without raising blood glucose.

I followed the Diabetes UK diet for 8 years until serious complications set in. Cutting out all the obvious carbs restored my health, so after a further 8 years I am fit & well, with no diabetes problems.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is NOT a healthy diet for anyone - those carbs are a major course of weight gain & raised blood glucose. Clean fresh natural fats are not a problem - they are slow to digest so suppressing hunger, & provide sustained energy, without raising blood glucose.

I followed the Diabetes UK diet for 8 years until serious complications set in. Cutting out all the obvious carbs restored my health, so after a further 8 years I am fit & well, with no diabetes problems.
Yep - know that now but pre having diabetes I was over-weight and followed the standard advice of eating low fat, low sugar etc!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Yep - know that now but pre having diabetes I was over-weight and followed the standard advice of eating low fat, low sugar etc!
The NHS & DUK are guilty of disseminating dangerous diet dogma.

Chunters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't read the whole thread :)

I attended my DESMOND course this week. 6 of us on the course and I was the only one testing :wideyed: One of the educators had a particularly venomous attitude about testing. In fact her last (shouted!) words to us as we were leaving the room were 'and do NOT go and buy a meter'. Made me really upset when leaving and I actually cried in the car afterwards because during the bit on testing I had made all the points about the benefits of testing, including identifying 'false hypos', and a few of the other participants had seemed willing to give it a go.

Reactions: Freema

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Chunters unfortunately there seems to be a lot of people within the medical profession that don't want T2s to test as it will either cause us anxiety, make us become obsessed with our levels or, my DN favourite reason not to test 'give you sore fingers'. These may or may not be valid reasons but what testing definitely does is give you control over your diet in that by testing you learn what effects different foods have on your bs levels and you can eat accordingly. I don't test as much as I used to but I always do with new foods for example I couldn't get my usual seeded bread but found one at 14 carbs per slice and I had 2 slices lunchtime in a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich - I tested pre and after eating and was pleasantly surprised at the result but, more importantly, I know that I can have it again!

Reactions: Chunters
S

serenity648

I was told not to test as it will wear out my fingertips, and i will need them later for when I go onto insulin.

I didnt know whether to laugh or cry.

Chunters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The reason given on the DESMOND course was - you are not going to hypo therefore you don't need to test :banghead:

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
I was given various reasons not to test. I thought of replies later, of course - see inside brackets.
You'll make your fingers sore (I make my fingers sore sewing buttons on)
You'll not understand what the numbers mean (OK, I accept that my degree isn't in medical science)
You'll not know what to do if your levels are high (Isn't that what doctors are for?)
Type 2s don't need to test. (Well I'd rather know)
Finally a new nurse gave me a monitor, and I'm buying strips. Even the pharmacist was sceptical though and was reluctant to sell me the strips and lancets. I'll probably buy them on line next time.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree that it's a scandal as I was doing really well until I stopped testing and now have high triglycerides. If they are willing to pay for poisons like metformin; why won't they pay for strips that can aid us in coping without metformin at a quarter the cost?
The metformin is really cheap, actually. Test strip are quite costly. One test strip is 1 €, 1 g (my daily dose) of metformin is 0,6 €...

Yvonnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Im newly diagnosed and work for nhs, was told by g.p "you have diabetes take 1 of these a day at tea time (metformin) make an appointment come back in a month, that was all the info i got from him, the nurse that works there gave me a testing machine but no info on when to test or how many times a day. So i asked diabetes dr at work he said i didnt need to test bloods as wont get hypos, but on occasions ive felt really light headed and not well only lasting maybe 10 mins but always ate something and felt better. So why is there no definative way of doing things so people are less confused as to what they should be doing?

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have noticed that the NHS generally think that hypos are the only reason to test, but my DN, who is really good, says by giving people meters they are giving us the tools to help us take charge of our diabetes. We can see how what we eat affects our BG and make decisions about how to eat. Otherwise it is just down to the doctor. I must say that I have never followed a diet for any length of time until LCHF but I could see the difference it made. Also the effect exercise has on BG.

I've gone from hba1c 85 down to 43 and am confident it will be lower again next week. Also dropped all Glicazide and am gradually reducing insulin need. So today I am on 14 units Lantus and 1 X Forxiga and still coming in around 5.

A meter makes all the difference to my willpower.

Reactions: serenity648

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Im newly diagnosed and work for nhs, was told by g.p "you have diabetes take 1 of these a day at tea time (metformin) make an appointment come back in a month, that was all the info i got from him, the nurse that works there gave me a testing machine but no info on when to test or how many times a day. So i asked diabetes dr at work he said i didnt need to test bloods as wont get hypos, but on occasions ive felt really light headed and not well only lasting maybe 10 mins but always ate something and felt better. So why is there no definative way of doing things so people are less confused as to what they should be doing?

Brilliant question, Yvonne. You've come to the right place for the answers to all your questions. Most medics are afraid to advise other than the standard NHS/Diabetes UK system that in the opinion of many is CAUSING increasing obesity & diabetes complications.

BUT, of course we cannot give you medical advice, only practical advice based on experience.

I was told at diagnosis - 16 years ago, with what was diagnosed as "diabetic neuropathy" to keep active; eat complex carbs; & cut right down on sugar, fat & salt. But I was also told "diabetes is progressive - your condition will deteriorate." That was the definitive way of treating diabetes (with medication added as indicated by the annual HbA1c) back in 2,000. It still is according to Diabetes UK, though if you press them they will acknowledge that low carb, low calorie (Newcastle) & the Mediterranean diet are feasible.

The real definitive answer found by many on this forum is a lifestyle based on - low carb (less than 100 g per day); normal amounts of protein & veg, limited fruit, & plenty of good, clean, fresh fats, as they come in real food - NOT takeaways. Cheese, nuts, meat, eggs, oily fish, avocados, etc. Even food fried in butter - but not reused. It's called LCHF - low carb, high fat.

We need to get our energy from fat not carbs. Fat is sustaining, whereas carbs rapidly metabolise to blood glucose, raising the BG being leaving us hungry for more. I'm now 77, still diabetic, but without the diabetic symptoms which were destroying my life until I came to this forum & learned about LCHF. Just 3 months of LCHF cleared crippling debility & restored my health. I still play tennis & table tennis at club standard.

Hope that helps.

redtree92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.

I am a type one but I think surely its up to the patient, if they want to they should be able to on the NHS?

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
GM I have had my test strips withdrawn now because I have taken control of my eating etc. and I have been taken of the diabetic list at my doctors but a husband and wife who live VERY close to me have been and still are having these plastic ciggies on prescription for the last 4 years is there any reasoning behind the operation of Dr surgery,I feel very angry about this situation but I guess nothing I can do will change it.

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
i was told by the nurse and the chemist not to bother as i would just get a sore finger
anyway i need to find out what food is good and what is bad for me so i bought a codefree meter
and i can now check and see for myself on how im doing i make mistakes with what i eat but your not going to learn unless you test

desidiabulum

i was told by the nurse and the chemist not to bother as i would just get a sore finger
anyway i need to find out what food is good and what is bad for me so i bought a codefree meter
and i can now check and see for myself on how im doing i make mistakes with what i eat but your not going to learn unless you test
Ah yes! What in the world could be more awful than a sore finger? An amputated foot, perhaps? Well done you!

Dan6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I reguarly saw a doctor who informed me about a new diabetic doctor whom had joined the practice. When i told them how often I tested a day (minimum of 5) they looked shocked and told me I tested too much and didnt need to test at every meal.