Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It wasn't discussed at all, but I followed advice about testing and low carb so bought my own.
I then took the results* into the dietician, who handed them back to me without looking and proceed to tell me off for not eating enough carbs. My leaving resent from her was a copy of the Eatwell plate. (I binned it.)

*By then I was down into the normal range on everything but the first morning tests.

Clueless73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have also been told by my diabetic nurse that it is unnecessary to test as a Type 2 as I would never be having a hypo! They told me to come back in a years' time for my check up. I have bought my own machine and test strips and clearly my medication is not controlling it as well as it should be, however when I contacted my doctor about it I was told that she wasn't sure what the numbers meant!!
Quite shocking really...

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!
I’ve been told I test too much. I was given a ‘kit’ in hospital luckily and the Drs have to authorise the replacement sticks etc. Diabetes advice is unbelievable.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I have also been told by my diabetic nurse that it is unnecessary to test as a Type 2 as I would never be having a hypo! They told me to come back in a years' time for my check up. I have bought my own machine and test strips and clearly my medication is not controlling it as well as it should be, however when I contacted my doctor about it I was told that she wasn't sure what the numbers meant!!
Quite shocking really...
They have obviously been taught by a load of monkeys by the sound of it, so glad I took my health into my own hands otherwise I would have still been in the 20s and suffering

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was made to feel I was being neurotic!
I was made to feel it it was all my fault and that a tablet would fix it, literally! Had an interesting conversation with the gp on the phone that was insinuating that my husband was influencing my decisions, until I reminded her that I was aware of her free speech but she should be aware that I also have a mind of my own! Not spoken to the gp since but dn is just as bad a times!

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mine is keen, hard to get a word in edgewise. The last 3 years or so have been unbelievable health wise and the last thing I needed was haranguing, which resulted in me being upset. He was then apologetic and realised he was ‘off on one’. Also my brother had passed away through negligent hospital treatment ‍♀️ I’m a Complementary Therapist of 25 yrs, with anatomy & phys lot higher than lot of nurses, so I won‘t say nowt !

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mine is keen, hard to get a word in edgewise. The last 3 years or so have been unbelievable health wise and the last thing I needed was haranguing, which resulted in me being upset. He was then apologetic and realised he was ‘off on one’. Also my brother had passed away through negligent hospital treatment ‍♀️ I’m a Complementary Therapist of 25 yrs, with anatomy & phys lot higher than lot of nurses, so I won‘t say nowt !
They just don't get it do they!? I walked out of the surgery feeling suicidal as the dn obviously just did not read my notes properly or did not have time to, either way had she read them she would have realised that I already had mental health issues and was fragile, and to then be diagnosed with type 2 nearly shot me off the edge. I had a phone call later that day asking about my wellbeing - she was very concerned, she had obviously read my notes and freaked out :banghead:

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It wasn't discussed at all, but I followed advice about testing and low carb so bought my own.
I then took the results* into the dietician, who handed them back to me without looking and proceed to tell me off for not eating enough carbs. My leaving
I got told off for not eating enough carbs as well :-o

Neatw

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I have type 2 and was told there is no need to test. I did however talk the diabetes educator into giving me a meter and some strips. She also gave me a form to get subsidised strips when I ran out. I am from Australia

Last edited:

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I then took the results* into the dietician, who handed them back to me without looking and proceed to tell me off for not eating enough carbs. My leaving resent from her was a copy of the Eatwell plate. (I binned it.)

*By then I was down into the normal range on everything but the first morning tests.

Yeah, I recently saw a dietician that gave me links to pizza, sandwiches and deserts.

I should really get a thing for testing though I like many here was told not to bother.

I just ate a few crispbreads with hummus forgetting the crispbreads are pretty high in carbs.

having a lot less carbs over the past few weeks after 10-15 mins I started to feel dreadful/wiped out/poisoned/could go to bed right now for some reason?. (still am)

would be good to see what my blood sugar was doing while feeling like this.

Last edited:

Mini Dachs Mum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I have type 2 and was told there is no need to test. I did however talk the diabetes educator into giving me a meter and some strips. She also gave me a form to get subsidised strips when I ran out. I am from Australia
Interesting. I’m in Australia too and my doctor has always encouraged me to test from when I was first diagnosed in 1996. Back then strips were subsided for type 2. Now only for insulin users. I live in the outback so have never seen a DN .

Godzilla461

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I live in the United States. So I don't have to contend with your NHS. But, I did have a doctor tell me I didn't need to test early on, after becoming a type 2 diabetic. That disagreed with everything I had read. I found a better doctor, who took the time to explain the need for frequent testing every day.
I have continued testing from 4-6 times daily. I stay in control and my A1C stays between 5.7 and 6.1, through carefully taking my meds at even time intervals and eating properly. Test, test, test...

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yeah, I recently saw a dietician that gave me links to pizza, sandwiches and deserts.

I should really get a thing for testing though I like many here was told not to bother.

I just ate a few crispbreads with hummus forgetting the crispbreads are pretty high in carbs.

having a lot less carbs over the past few weeks after 10-15 mins I started to feel dreadful/wiped out/poisoned/could go to bed right now for some reason?. (still am)

would be good to see what my blood sugar was doing while feeling like this.
2 evenings ago I’d made bolognaise using cabbage instead of spaghetti, later stomach started to gurgle, so had to eat cheese and cracker glucose tested ok but ‍♀️ think I need a CGM to see what’s happening, but it seems the popular one has become unreliable

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 evenings ago I’d made bolognaise using cabbage instead of spaghetti, later stomach started to gurgle, so had to eat cheese and cracker glucose tested ok but ‍♀️ think I need a CGM to see what’s happening, but it seems the popular one has become unreliable
Like anything, those experiencing problems likely shout louder on a forum. I still find it pretty reliable.

Yes, some sensors run high or low, but I just do a finger prick every now and then to get a sense of how they compare. I’m not using it to dose insulin and for general trends it’s very helpful. I’d recommend giving the two week trial a go.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, some sensors run high or low, but I just do a finger prick every now and then to get a sense of how they compare. I’m not using it to dose insulin and for general trends it’s very helpful.
Same here, and using it to dose insulin with the help from some fingerpricks to stay aware of the differences between sensor and blood.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not common for healthcare professionals to tell individuals not to test their blood sugars, as regular blood glucose monitoring is a crucial part of managing diabetes. It helps individuals keep track of their blood glucose levels and make informed decisions about their insulin dosing, diet, and physical activity. However, in some cases, a healthcare professional may advise against testing due to specific medical conditions or treatment plans.
I wish you were right. Sadly the experience of the majority of uk based type 2 diabetics is not how you describe it. You only need to read this thread or read about what we are told to do (or not told, or told not to do) on diagnosis. What are you basing your opinion on may I ask?

Animalal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been given 4 different testing units each time after my BG levels needed dealing with. Currently on yet another tablet and required to test 3 times per day and before driving if two hours after eating. Other than the current unit is one that logs your levels on your phone I could still be using one of the other units. I’m not over keen on having to check BG regularly but I can definitely see the benefits. Type 2 user on metformin, dapagliflozin and pioglitazone.

Reactions: Angela64