Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

thhpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I just go and buy from Aliexpress Sinocare brand. Each strip including shipping cost about Singapore $0.12 to Singapore. I usually bought about 800 strips at one go. AccuCheck brand would cost $0.80 per strip locally.

• Informative
Reactions: Lainie71 and jjraak

iallaway

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.
I have been told to stop self testing by my consultant. I have reactive Hypoglycaemia Pre type 2. My GP wants me to keep testing, and being a hgv1 driver DVLA state I need to self test every 2 hours while driving the lorry.

Reactions: Angela64 and jjraak

Retanna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Avocado
My diabetes nurse told me it is not necessary to test daily or at all as I am on the maximum Metformin dose. I ignored her advice and continue to test, that way I know I am keeping on track and eating the right things.

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!
Since being diagnosed with T2 June 2021 I’ve been testing and recording my meals. Yesterday my GP told me to stop monitoring my levels, I only take evening and fasting recordings unless I get what I consider a high reading compared to usual. I am stressed about having T2, I was a blue light job and there were NO signs or symptoms‍♀️ I also have Peripheral Atrial Fibrillation which was also an emergency in 2019. Due to experience, I have little faith in the medical profession. I adjust what I have to eat if my levels are higher than I want, these have become 7 - 9 rather than 6-high 7’s

Question: what so you think about not testing at all - my HbA1c is 51

• Hug
Reactions: jjraak

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Not testing my BG before, after etc is like jumping off a tightrope without the safety net.... just not worth it. I still self fund (despite the tutting) of my health practitioner etc. I wonder if they would not test and go blindly into their diagnosis :sour:

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not testing my BG before, after etc is like jumping off a tightrope without the safety net.... just not worth it. I still self fund (despite the tutting) of my health practitioner etc. I wonder if they would not test and go blindly into their diagnosis :sour:
My GPS know that I’ve self tested since diagnosis and though it has been mentioned in several conversations they have made no comment, possibly because I achieved diet-only remission so efficiently in front of their eyes. But I have wondered whether GPs generally discourage it for fear that patients would keep plaguing them with concerns that their FBG numbers were shifting from 5.6 to 5.7.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My GPS know that I’ve self tested since diagnosis and though it has been mentioned in several conversations they have made no comment, possibly because I achieved diet-only remission so efficiently in front of their eyes. But I have wondered whether GPs generally discourage it for fear that patients would keep plaguing them with concerns that their FBG numbers were shifting from 5.6 to 5.7.
Its funny actually as my last conversation with the DN about my results she just praised me and didn't mention a thing about my testing. I think they say it to save money and the GPs etc think its self inflicted being a type 2 which is clearly not always the case. I found out recently that my sister is now type 2 and granny and possibly other relatives are type 2. So more thank likely hereditary a contributing factor in my case. My family tree is partly Polish, Irish and Italian so heaven knows :facepalm:

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its funny actually as my last conversation with the DN about my results she just praised me and didn't mention a thing about my testing. I think they say it to save money and the GPs etc think its self inflicted being a type 2 which is clearly not always the case. I found out recently that my sister is now type 2 and granny and possibly other relatives are type 2. So more thank likely hereditary a contributing factor in my case. My family tree is partly Polish, Irish and Italian so heaven knows :facepalm:
I continue to self-test nearly two years on in order to apply swift corrective should my numbers ever show a clear worsening trend.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I continue to self-test nearly two years on in order to apply swift corrective should my numbers ever show a clear worsening trend.
I still test but have not been so strict with the early morning ones as half the time I forget! I still test before meals and after etc. I like to know and have noticed my levels sneaking into the 5 regions now which for me is great. I never test after exercise as I can get barmy readings.

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!
I have been a Complementary Therapist for 25 years and if you have members of your family with T2 you are quite possibly likely to have it too this is what I found

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71 and jjraak

Tedder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, When I was diagnosed as T2, they found it by accident during a hospital visit for something else. Then I was prescribed Metformin and began a journey of diet and weight loss. Was told that I didn't need to test blood sugars. Did really well, went from 3 to 2 tablets daily and my nurse was thrilled with my progress, as I was. A year on, I have slipped into bad habits, had my annual appointment and was told to test daily for a few weeks to monitor as I get back on track. Also have the addition of taking Gliclazide daily.

Testing daily is causing me huge anxiety. The machine is very sensitive to errors. I seem to waste strips almost every time because either there is not enough blood (have changed the depth of the lancet to hopefully help) or there is random error readings.

My morning fast readings 6.8, 8.5, 7.8, 7.9, 8.4 for the last few days. I feel quite sad about it all. Am confused about regular readings because this is so new. My nurse is calling me tomorrow and I will ask further questions so hopefully help with my anxiousness. I guess I am reaching out for support from you lovely people.

Although I am determined and will turn this around, I am feeling battered and every morning when it is time to test, I have immense dread. I feel like I am failing my body, and my body is failing me.

Reactions: Angela64
M

Member559176

Hi everyone, When I was diagnosed as T2, they found it by accident during a hospital visit for something else. Then I was prescribed Metformin and began a journey of diet and weight loss. Was told that I didn't need to test blood sugars. Did really well, went from 3 to 2 tablets daily and my nurse was thrilled with my progress, as I was. A year on, I have slipped into bad habits, had my annual appointment and was told to test daily for a few weeks to monitor as I get back on track. Also have the addition of taking Gliclazide daily.

Testing daily is causing me huge anxiety. The machine is very sensitive to errors. I seem to waste strips almost every time because either there is not enough blood (have changed the depth of the lancet to hopefully help) or there is random error readings.

My morning fast readings 6.8, 8.5, 7.8, 7.9, 8.4 for the last few days. I feel quite sad about it all. Am confused about regular readings because this is so new. My nurse is calling me tomorrow and I will ask further questions so hopefully help with my anxiousness. I guess I am reaching out for support from you lovely people.

Although I am determined and will turn this around, I am feeling battered and every morning when it is time to test, I have immense dread. I feel like I am failing my body, and my body is failing me.
Sorry to hear you're feeling this way.

Taking Gliclazide increases your risk of a hypo that's why you've been told to tests daily.

You're morning fast readings are high but no too high, I wouldn't be overly worried if they are high at 8.0 to 9.0, just reduce sugar in take appropriately.

I suggest trying to reduce the sugars in your diet as much as possible, when you buy groceries read the labels for sugar content, my diabetes nurse told me to chose sugar free instead of reduced sugar. Also be aware that sorbitol, (usually found in sugar free sweets and diabetic jam) can cause stomach upset and Diarrhea therefore avoid it if you can. I use Stevia as a sweetner it's reasonably priced and 1/3 of a teaspoon or 1 tablet is equivalent to 1 sugar.

As I was taught during my medical training, ALL diabetics should be testing their blood glucose levels every day at minimum 3 times a day whatever treatment they are on to be able to manage their diabetes more efficiantly and to reduce the risk of hypoglycaemia & hyperglycaemia. May I suggest first thing at morning & before every meal & then before bed & in between if you feel your sugars are low, (only you know if your sugars are low or high) which is what I do.

I've found 5 jelly babies or 2 glucose tablets bring me out of an hypo & 2 pints of water will reduce your blood glucose if it's high. Blueberries are a diabetics friend & have benefits in reducing your blood pressure. Grapes are a diabetics enemy avoid them if possible.

If you want a decent glucose testing machine try this one it's free https://www.diabetes.ascensia.co.uk/products/contour-plus-blue/#registeredfreegoods-container

Hope this helps, if there's anything you want to chat about don't hesitate to message me and if I can i'll help.

Best wishes & regards.
Paul.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good answer above.

If it helps ..I traded up to the glucose Navii
From older version (codefree)

I got a few errors with that old one, but the Navii needs less blood and since buying I've only had one draw that produced an error for too little blood ....and strips are very reasonably priced.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
, just reduce sugar in take appropriately.

I suggest trying to reduce the sugars in your diet as much as possible, when you buy groceries read the labels for sugar content, my diabetes nurse told me to chose sugar free instead of reduced sugar.

May I suggest first thing at morning & before every meal & then before bed & in between if you feel your sugars are low, (only you know if your sugars are low or high) which is what I do.
Can I just clarify it’s not just sugar that raises glucose. It’s all carbohydrates (except fibre) of which sugar is just one type. So that means all grains (bread, cereals, flour, pasta etc), rice, starchy veg like potato (of all colours) or parsnip, and many fruits especially their juices.

This means on labels you need to look at the carb listing and ignore the of which sugars part really. If your country includes fiber in the carb (USA mostly) count then you can deduct this and watch net carbs. In the U.K, Europe and Australasia the fibre is already separated for you.

If you go for the reduced sugar versions take a good look at the labels to see what they’ve used instead (maltitol for example spikes most of us as bad if not worse than sugar and upsets a lot of tummies) or if they’ve reduced it by a pathetic amount and it’s still way too high.

As far as testing goes this seems to be based more on a type 1 usage than beneficial for many type 2. To see the effect of food you need to test 2hrs post prandial to see the rise from the pre prandial you recommended. This shows you something useful ie how well you tolerated that food. This gives you actionable information.

Whilst fasting is a level that’s interesting there’s not a lot of specific action you can take other than maybe delay breaking your fast or choose different food or going for a walk. Both of which are rearguard choices to avoid high levels getting worse rather than something you can use to avoid it happening again. As for bedtime I’m really not sure what benefit there is there with that one. The only exceptions might be if low needing to eat before bed but that only really applies if you are on hypo causing medication like insulin or gliclazide. Metformin and diet alone treatments pretty much make this a bit pointless imo

And if water alone brought down readings none of us would have a problem. Probably only useful if you’re dehydrate.

As you mentioned it what sort of medical training did you have and how long ago? Are you still practicing?

M

Member559176

Can I just clarify it’s not just sugar that raises glucose. It’s all carbohydrates (except fibre) of which sugar is just one type. So that means all grains (bread, cereals, flour, pasta etc), rice, starchy veg like potato (of all colours) or parsnip, and many fruits especially their juices.

This means on labels you need to look at the carb listing and ignore the of which sugars part really. If your country includes fiber in the carb (USA mostly) count then you can deduct this and watch net carbs. In the U.K, Europe and Australasia the fibre is already separated for you.

If you go for the reduced sugar versions take a good look at the labels to see what they’ve used instead (maltitol for example spikes most of us as bad if not worse than sugar and upsets a lot of tummies) or if they’ve reduced it by a pathetic amount and it’s still way too high.

As far as testing goes this seems to be based more on a type 1 usage than beneficial for many type 2. To see the effect of food you need to test 2hrs post prandial to see the rise from the pre prandial you recommended. This shows you something useful ie how well you tolerated that food. This gives you actionable information.

Whilst fasting is a level that’s interesting there’s not a lot of specific action you can take other than maybe delay breaking your fast or choose different food or going for a walk. Both of which are rearguard choices to avoid high levels getting worse rather than something you can use to avoid it happening again. As for bedtime I’m really not sure what benefit there is there with that one. The only exceptions might be if low needing to eat before bed but that only really applies if you are on hypo causing medication like insulin or gliclazide. Metformin and diet alone treatments pretty much make this a bit pointless imo

And if water alone brought down readings none of us would have a problem. Probably only useful if you’re dehydrate.

As you mentioned it what sort of medical training did you have and how long ago? Are you still practicing?
I was trying to make things easy to understand without going into all the scientific nonsense.

• Funny

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was trying to make things easy to understand without going into all the scientific nonsense.
By ignoring the “scientific nonsense” you have “oversimplified“ it to the point of being misleading, incomplete or incorrect though. Who does that actually help?

Unfortunately this oversimplification by medical staff is all too common and the help the patient needs doesn’t happen. It’s condescending too. Most of us are not stupid or children and are perfectly capable of understanding the science if it’s explained clearly or able to ask questions given the opportunity or invitation to do so in order to check understanding.

You didn’t answer what medical training you had or if you currently practice?

M

Member559176

By ignoring the “scientific nonsense” you have “oversimplified“ it to the point of being misleading, incomplete or incorrect though. Who does that actually help?

Unfortunately this oversimplification by medical staff is all too common and the help the patient needs doesn’t happen. It’s condescending too. Most of us are not stupid or children and are perfectly capable of understanding the science if it’s explained clearly or able to ask questions given the opportunity or invitation to do so in order to check understanding.

You didn’t answer what medical training you had or if you currently practice?
I believe in the acronym KISS

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe in the acronym KISS

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid
More evasion and patronising……I seriously hope you don’t do this to your patients and aren’t giving the same information as they will end up wondering why restricting only sugar isn’t controlling their blood glucose and waste a lot of money on testing that doesn’t result in useful information. And weren’t you loudly complaining about the cost of testing In a previously?

M

Member559176

More evasion and patronising……I seriously hope you don’t do this to your patients and aren’t giving the same information as they will end up wondering why restricting only sugar isn’t controlling their blood glucose and waste a lot of money on testing that doesn’t result in useful information. And weren’t you loudly complaining about the cost of testing In a previously?
What makes you think I have patients?

I said and I quote "medical training" this DOES NOT mean I have patients, therefore STOP jumping the gun!!!!

[Mod edit to align with forum rules.]

Last edited by a moderator: