Having a few issues post lunch

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So over the last couple of weeks my post lunch readings are about 9-11 and they seem to hover around there until I get home around 6.30-7pm (the running round on the tbe tubes lowers them) Pre lunch they are usually around 5-7 which is where I like them to be. Usually I have about 30-50g of carbs for lunch and take about 8-10 units of NR for that but it does not seem to work.

Either my insulin to carb ration is wrong OR i'm under calculating the amount of carbs I eat
Morning and evening aren't issues as I weigh out the carbs and think I've worked out a ration that is OK

I've only been on this MDI stuff for about a month so is there any other factors I may have missed out? Any ideas????

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok maybe you've generalised too much but from what you've said, your carb ratios need attention.

30g to 50g of carbs and you take 8 to 10 units.

This means that for 30g of carbs your ratio is 1 unit per 3.75g, but for 50g of carbs your ratio is 1 unit per 5g of carbs.

Your lunch ratio should be the same for any amount of carbs you eat.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also you don't mention how far in front of your food you inject or what insulin your using. It varies by person but I would be taking my fast acting insulin 20-30 mins before eating.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I am at home then I take the NovoRapid about 10-15 mins before food. If out and about like today I end up eating 'eyeballing' the food and then take the shot straight away.

How does one precisely work out a carb to insulin ratio for a specific time of day?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me it was trial and error. I was told to start off using 1u : 10g for each meal. I worked out how much insulin that would be for my usual evening meal and pointed out that 1 : 10 would make me hypo, as I was already using 1 : 12 which gave good results. I was told that 1 : 10 was just a starting point and everyone was different.

If you find that 1u : 10g makes you high, 2 hours after eating, then you need more insulin. Try 1 : 9 or 1 : 8. I found a half unit pen helped, as increases/decreases of 1 unit was too much (I'm insulin sensitive) but many people are fine with 1 unit.