Having trouble

Pregnantx2TX

I was diagnosed a few weeks ago with gestational diabetes. I feel really fortunate in lots of ways - I don't have covid-19, I have a healthy daughter and family, and I have a son who is due in a few months. I've been so sad after receiving my gestational diabetes diagnosis, though. Every time I see my husband eating all the things that I loved and cannot eat, I'm having the hardest time. I think that I really relied on food as a reward to get me through things and now it's just not possible. I feel like I should just toughen up, but I find myself crying about it all. Did this happen to anyone else? What did you do?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might feel a lot better if you start to treat yourself with coffee with cream, steak with stirfry and mushrooms, frozen berries and sugar free jelly, also with cream, roast chicken - or even just chicken thighs, chops, sausages, fish or seafood - plus lots of salads, roasted low carb veges, as you can eat those freely. There is a lot of baking you can do to make low carb versions of all sorts of things.
I like a curry, but I put it onto chopped cauliflower rather than rice, pizza can be made using 'fat head' dough, also sausage rolls or quiche - you can have real custard tart with strawberries, and it is difficult to be dismal after that.

Pregnantx2TX

Thank you so much for this ... I think that you're absolutely right and I was just sticking to this packet that my doctor gave me of meal options instead of thinking more creatively. I really appreciate you taking the time to write this.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good.
I will warn you that eating well produced a baby just over 9lb at birth, who achieved all the milestones early, was very active, grew like a weed - he's well over 6ft tall as an adult - but eating a lowish carb diet will have the medics warning you about stunted growth and lack of energy.....

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
This might cheer you up although it may not rate with foodie treats. A friend, pregnant with twins, was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. She went cold turkey on the carbs and remained very slim throughout the pregnancy. Everyone was amazed when the first twin was over 5lbs and the second over 6lbs! Those two little scamps have thrived ever since and so has their Mum.

Reactions: KK123

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't let yourself get too down about it: I was *very* down when first diagnosed, but there's a few positive points.
1) it's generally quite manageable, if not reversible
2) I knew someone who was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, but had her diabetic status retracted after maintaining normal sugar levels after having the baby. Admittedly, that might be unusually fortunate, but you may find your situation improves once your body returns more to normal.
3) Food you love isn't out of the equation: even for a 'full-blown' type 2, there are tons of great treats to enjoy
4) To be honest, when you have kids, it's easy to stop taking care of yourself and get problems further down the line. In many cases, being a diet controlled diabetic can help you live the sort of lifestyle you need to be living anyway.

Anyway, I hope you feel better sooner rather than later: it's very, very normal to have a hard time coming to terms with it at first, but honestly, it gets better.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might feel a lot better if you start to treat yourself with coffee with cream, steak with stirfry and mushrooms, frozen berries and sugar free jelly, also with cream, roast chicken - or even just chicken thighs, chops, sausages, fish or seafood - plus lots of salads, roasted low carb veges, as you can eat those freely. There is a lot of baking you can do to make low carb versions of all sorts of things.
I like a curry, but I put it onto chopped cauliflower rather than rice, pizza can be made using 'fat head' dough, also sausage rolls or quiche - you can have real custard tart with strawberries, and it is difficult to be dismal after that.

You forgot CHEESE. x

Reactions: Cookiekeri

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot cheese!!!!
Oh dear - and I have a fridge which is pretty much entirely dedicated to cheese and eggs, apart from the cream and butter.