1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hazard Ratios for Diabetes Complications

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by ianf0ster, Jun 21, 2020.

1. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

3. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Hazard ratio (HR) or Relative Risk (RR) is a way of inflating artificially the results of a statistics based study to make things seem better or worse. So if the actual number of events in a database associated with one variable was say 0.5% , then this can be magnified to give an HR of about 40. This was prevalent in drug trial reports published before 2006, when the statistical methodology was finally banned, and all studies since are supposed to follow new methodologies. We still see HR calculated, but it is supposed to be more representive. Unfortunately, because the raw data itself is now kept hidden or commercially confidential, there is no way any independent analysis can be done, and even peer reviews can be carried out without recourse to the original database. There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I haven't studied this in detail but I noticed that the hazard ratio is with respect to someone with an HbA1c of 4.6% which is 26.8. I imagine someone with that level ie no where near being diabetic has almost zero chance of having diabetic retinopathy for example. If the hazard ratio is 12.73 for someone with an HbA1c of 48 then that may be still a very low risk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree with you about that way that the drug companies use both Relative Risk and Absolute Risk.
    However I had been led to believe that once I got my HbA1C down into the 'pre-diabetic' range and kept my BG spikes down to no higher than 7.8 mmol. I would have no greater risk than a similar person without Diabetes.

6. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

We all seek the Holy Grail of Reversal or Cure, but sadly it seems to remain elusive to most of us. Although I control my T2D well, I know that a bad meal choice or a sneaky snack can totally disrupt my equilibrium. Even when i did get reversal for a short while, where I seemed to be able to eat normal food at will, i relapsed and no longer benefit. I am close to that sweet spot again, but cannot allow myself to stray too far from the LC pathway. At least I am not progressing down the slippery slope.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook