HB1AC won’t go any lower

Laconic

From 110 mmoI to 39 on each blood test non diabetic range but can’t get any lower no matter how much weight I lose how few carbs I eat and how much exercise I do. Doctor says this is fine but I’d like to be closer to 30

Reactions: KennyA

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From 110 mmoI to 39 on each blood test non diabetic range but can’t get any lower no matter how much weight I lose how few carbs I eat and how much exercise I do. Doctor says this is fine but I’d like to be closer to 30
39 is good, it's into non diabetic range. The drop from 110 to that is outstanding, you should be really proud of that

Why do you want to go lower?

I realised that sounded a bit blunt, I don't mean it to as I can see it is still quite close to pre diabetic levels. Is it that you'd prefer having a bit of extra buffer?

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Snap. But I’m stuck in prediabetic levels not below them. In fact I’ve gone into a very slow but definite decline lately despite not making any changes to the detriment that I can identify. I suspect we each have slightly different “set” levels, genetics and causes of our diabetes that can effect what the best we can naturally achieve is even under ideal conditions. And then there’s the tricky issue of what we can actually maintain longterm in terms of management and life balance overall.

DisFanJen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was going to have the same question, why go lower? I was v. high and managed to get down to 31, then my clinical team changed my regime as they were worried about night time hypos with numbers that low and wanted me to sit in the 40s.

pre-predb

I can feel your frustration re diet and exercise as the lowest I've ever knowingly been is 39 despite a low carb diet and lots of exercise (running, walking and gym). In the first lockdown I took the opportunity of having total control of everything I ate and lost half a stone fairly easily (low carb) but my Hba1c was still 40. As HSSS said, I think we all have preset levels related to our genetics, and pehaps this is the lowest I can go. I also have Hashimoto's which may play a part. It's annoying as a friend of mine who eats a lot more sugar than I do, is a bit older and who does less exercise than me, had a recent result of 34!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was going to have the same question, why go lower? I was v. high and managed to get down to 31, then my clinical team changed my regime as they were worried about night time hypos with numbers that low and wanted me to sit in the 40s.
Being on insulin it makes sense not to go too low because of the hypo risk. Which is not an issue when not on medication of course.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I dropped from 50 to 36 and have stayed around 36 or 37 since then, despite continued low-carbing, IF and weight loss. I suspect 36/37 is where my body thinks I naturally should be.