Hba1c 100

Jctype2

Hi what is the treatment for a hba1c that high? I’ve been told to book a routine appointment that’s on the 23/11. I’m my own worst enemy but I’ve been eating mainly sweet things due to depression. I’m 191lbs and am pretty distressed.
I had a hba1c two years ago of 86 due to being on immunosuppressants.

I’m vegetarian too. Help I don’t test sugars very needlephobic and am I right to say the 1000mg metformin needs to be increased? Thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The way to lower your numbers is diet. If you think you ate needle phobic, can I suggest you pop in to a local chemist and ask for a blood glucose test. This should reassure you that it doesn't hurt. Insist that they use the side of your finger not the tip. Make sure your hands are clean.

Tagging @daisy1 for the welcome pack.

You have found a good place for information. Welcome :)

Reactions: neithskye

Jctype2

Hi I’ve tried to do that before and it still hurts I can’t stand the sound either.

I was given glimeperide at first 1mg but never took it because I was battling with anorexia at the time and didn’t want to have hypos.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The Metformin will probably be increased, but if you are eating sugars and starches it will not lower either your blood glucose levels or your Hba1c.
There are vegetarians who have controlled their diabetes with diet, but it does reduce your choices quite a lot.

eddie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’ve tried to do that before and it still hurts I can’t stand the sound either.

I was given glimeperide at first 1mg but never took it because I was battling with anorexia at the time and didn’t want to have hypos.
I am sympathetic to your needle phobia but you need to decide what's more important to overcome.
Fear of needles or full blown diabetes where you will have no choice but to inject insulin.
You decide.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome. You might like to have a look at the vegetarian section of the forum (Near the bottom of the forum list page under Nutrition. There are a few low carb vegetarian members who could give you some hints and tips.

I can only tell you of my experiences having had an A1c similar to yours at diagnosis (98), I was told that I would be put on insulin possibly at a follow up appointment but was prescribed Metformin one x twice per day for the first week then 2 x twice per day. I managed to significantly lower my A1c before the follow up appointment so avoided more drugs and insulin. I did this by cutting down on carbohydrates.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My Hba1c was 91 at diagnosis, and there are those who had higher than 100 - and if you are still producing your own insulin then it will do little good to inject more.
It all depends on just hos long you have had the high readings - from what I understand.
If you are lucky, as I was, by eating a low carb diet your metabolism will correct itself to some extent.

Jctype2

Hi thanks for that’s I’ll take a look. I will increase the metformin to 1500 until I see the doctor.

I know it’s my diet because when I get depressed I just eat sugary foods.

Jctype2

My Hba1c was 91 at diagnosis, and there are those who had higher than 100 - and if you are still producing your own insulin then it will do little good to inject more.
It all depends on just hos long you have had the high readings - from what I understand.
If you are lucky, as I was, by eating a low carb diet your metabolism will correct itself to some extent.

Jctype2

Hi what were your starting medications?

I was 86 2 years previously so with self medicating metformin I thought it would’ve come down even just a little but saying that I’ve overdone the sugar in the last 6 months.

I eat basmati rice and mostly veg when I’m not starving myself

I’m worried this is going to make me overdo the restriction of diet now and lead me back to anorexia it’s a vicious cycle.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Rice is going to cause your BG levels to spike - it isn't just sugar which is responsible - veges such as potato are excluded from my menu, also oats, wheat, corn as well as sugary foods.
Metformin is not something which counteracts a diet of high carb foods.

eddie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rice is going to cause your BG levels to spike - it isn't just sugar which is responsible - veges such as potato are excluded from my menu, also oats, wheat, corn as well as sugary foods.
Metformin is not something which counteracts a diet of high carb foods.
It must be incredibly difficult to eat lchf foods if one is vegetarian.
I'll have a similar problem when I go to India for 3 months and I will have to be very careful what I eat.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have a sweet tooth, there are many things you can make. Google fat bombs, keto chocolate mug cake.

In fact Google anything you fancy just put keto in front of it. You will be amazed at what there is out there.

D

Deleted Account

It is a shame you cannot take finger prick readings. These are very useful to find out how different foods affect you; as we are all different, it is not ideal to rely on what generally happens.

One alternative to finger pricking may be to try a Libre for a couple of weeks.
There is only one little prick when it is inserted and then for 14 days you can see what impact what you eat has on your BG.
This can give you some very valuable information about what to avoid and what you can eat.
It may also help to see a number associated with the sweet food that you like to immediately quantify the impact it is having on your body.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Jctype2
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jctype2 and welcome to the forum.

I totally understand your needle phobia as I am there with you BUT!! The pricks that you do when you test your own blood is very different. You do not see the little needle in the pen and most of the time you do even feel it, you just need to know where to do it and THAT IS ON THE SIDE OF YOUR FINGER, not on the top of the pad.

The option to this is - letting the numbers go up and up of uncontrolled BGs which in tern means injecting insulin every day, not to mention in time leads to losing eye sight, toes or even legs. I have made my decision to put up with finger pricks (controlled by me) and use these numbers I get for controlling my diet. There are lots of things you can replace the sweet things you are turning to, with other types of things. Look at www.dietdoctor.com for ideas. We on this forum make cakes etc. with Almond flour and other things, there are also other types of sweetners if you need them.

Be Brave, it is not as bad as you think it is!! You have found this forum where there is a lot of support, so keep with us and you will find the way through it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you just assume that you need to eat low carb foods, and avoid the ones which most people need to shun, then there should be improvement even if you do not test - but you need to be conscientious in keeping to the 'rules' even when you can't see the consequences.
I stick to things which are ten percent carbs or less - except for some very dark chocolate which I eat in moderation, and do not buy every week.