HbA1C = 60

embayweather

I discovered, rather than was told, that my HbA1C was 60. I have been diabetic for around twenty years and these are the first results that I have become aware of. Not sure if I am Type 1 or Type 2, thus my questions, what actions should I take to try and reduce the value? My pin prick tests vary between 4 and 15 depending on a number of factors. any advice would be welcome.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I discovered, rather than was told, that my HbA1C was 60. I have been diabetic for around twenty years and these are the first results that I have become aware of. Not sure if I am Type 1 or Type 2, thus my questions, what actions should I take to try and reduce the value? My pin prick tests vary between 4 and 15 depending on a number of factors. any advice would be welcome.
Hi there embayweather. I think for folks to give you constructive feedback it could be useful to share how you currently manage your diabetes. For example, do you work on your diet, take tablets or inject insulin?

If you take tablets or use insulin, it could be helpful to tell forks what you take and how much.

embayweather

Amongst a plethora of pills my medications is glucophage x 2 twice a day and Insulin Lantus once a day. Currently 18 units a day but I am experimenting with it so it can vary. I measure my blood sugar around 8 or so time a day, before meals and before going out. Diet wise I am a vegetarian that does not like veg so primarily I eat noodles and a veggie pie or something for a main meal. Sandwich for dinner and cornflakes for breakfast. every day is the same. If I need a snack I have nuts or dried mango.

Reactions: jar16

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @embayweather

I've just had a read through your previous posts.

It sounds like you are getting no help from your diabetic team? Do you have a diabetic team? In your position, given your complex medical needs, I would be pushing for a referral to a hospital rather than a GP so that they can see whether your diabetes type has changed. (Clutching at straws here but if there is a chance that Covid has damaged your pancreas then a T3c diagnosis would give you better diabetic goodies such as a libre). And they could also review your diabetes medications.

The issue with a single injection is that it is going to be fairly level throughout the day, so it's not going to give you any help if you need extra insulin to help with meal times. You don't want to end up going hypo at night because you've increased the lantus too much.

Though 60 isn't a fantastic hba1c it's actually not (in my opinion anyway) that bad (I've probably had several decades of levels like that in the past and I still have working eyes, limbs, kidneys). But there is certainly room for improvement.

It sounds that your diet is fairly carb heavy so reducing the carbs a bit might help reduce the spikes. Do you like cheese? But I don't know what constraints your other medical conditions put on your diet.

Good luck.

Reactions: Hopeful34

embayweather

Thank yu for your thoughts. I have no diabetic tam and indeed no support from the GP as they always refer questions to the diabetic nurse who never answers them. I have tried to get a referral to another hospital but they will not accept me so I am managing on my own. I do believe COVID wiped out what was left of the pancreas but I have no way of finding out. This is the first time I have obtained the result so I do no know if its better or worse, so as you can see I am working in the dark here. The noodles by the way are always egg noodles, prefer them to the others. I have Reynauds syndrome so sometimes I cannot get blood out of my fingers. I asked my GP about that and as usual no reply. Muscular dystrophy is beginning to hamper my injections as I do not have the strength to do it. I need something with a spring in it. I asked my GP about it who again referred it to the diabetic nurse and again no reply. Rampant joint pain I believe has been caused by my diabetes, again no reply, just as I had got on top of the muscle pain. The pain consultant has said there is nothing more they can do hence the reason I am experimenting.
Your comments about the Hbc1A level are most welcome though. I will continue to play about in the hope that one day I might get another test.

Prince4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank yu for your thoughts. I have no diabetic tam and indeed no support from the GP as they always refer questions to the diabetic nurse who never answers them. I have tried to get a referral to another hospital but they will not accept me so I am managing on my own. I do believe COVID wiped out what was left of the pancreas but I have no way of finding out. This is the first time I have obtained the result so I do no know if its better or worse, so as you can see I am working in the dark here. The noodles by the way are always egg noodles, prefer them to the others. I have Reynauds syndrome so sometimes I cannot get blood out of my fingers. I asked my GP about that and as usual no reply. Muscular dystrophy is beginning to hamper my injections as I do not have the strength to do it. I need something with a spring in it. I asked my GP about it who again referred it to the diabetic nurse and again no reply. Rampant joint pain I believe has been caused by my diabetes, again no reply, just as I had got on top of the muscle pain. The pain consultant has said there is nothing more they can do hence the reason I am experimenting.
Your comments about the Hbc1A level are most welcome though. I will continue to play about in the hope that one day I might get another test.
sorry new member. I think that this may apply to me too. Recently I get muscle pain and joint pain from time to time and twitching. I wonder if it is related to the high sugar also.