hba1c and FBG

Luvly

Hi all. My diabetic nurse said that my hba1c is: 66
But she put me on Metformin.
I have no idea what it means. is it bad, very bad, extremely bad?
And what is the ideal hba1c?
Is there a type of blood test device that I should buy to monitor it?
I have the Contour Next One device, and strips, but it doesn't show the hba1c thingy.

Also what is FBG?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could download the mysugr app, the free version will do. Record your numbers and food. After a few days it will give you an estimated hba1c. The longer you use it the more accurate it will become.

Reactions: Luvly

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
48 is the number they diagnose diabetes.

Changing your diet may get you to normal levels pretty smartish.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. My diabetic nurse said that my hba1c is: 66
But she put me on Metformin.
I have no idea what it means. is it bad, very bad, extremely bad?
And what is the ideal hba1c?
Is there a type of blood test device that I should buy to monitor it?
I have the Contour Next One device, and strips, but it doesn't show the hba1c thingy.

Also what is FBG?

Hi there, FBG = Fasting Blood Glucose (generally meaning what are your glucose readings without having eaten for a few hours (ie, the first one in the morning after sleeping, or 4 or so hours after a meal). x

Luvly

Hi there, FBG = Fasting Blood Glucose (generally meaning what are your glucose readings without having eaten for a few hours (ie, the first one in the morning after sleeping, or 4 or so hours after a meal). x
Ah, Thank you.
I think my brain is getting overwhelmed with all that I'm trying to learn.

Reactions: KK123

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
48 is the number they diagnose diabetes.

Changing your diet may get you to normal levels pretty smartish.
Indeed and is the level NHS advises T2 aim for I think, less than 42 is below pre diabetic so could be another aim

Luvly

You could download the mysugr app, the free version will do. Record your numbers and food. After a few days it will give you an estimated hba1c. The longer you use it the more accurate it will become.
Thank you. I've just downloaded it on my phone

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Test just before you eat, and two hours after. Starting a low carb diet should help bring your numbers down. Testing will help you find the foods that cause high numbers, eventually, you want to stop eating those foods

Luvly

Test just before you eat, and two hours after. Starting a low carb diet should help bring your numbers down. Testing will help you find the foods that cause high numbers, eventually, you want to stop eating those foods
Surprised no one addressed this bit

No, your HBA1C is the three month test (hence the 66 average reading) .... the contour is for daily checks to monitor your bloods after meals
Ah, I see. Thank you

Luvly

Thank you

Reactions: LaoDan