1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HbA1C and vitamins

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by chrisdoh1983, Jan 29, 2015.

1. chrisdoh1983

chrisdoh1983 Type 2 · Active Member

Hi,

Quick back story, 32 year old male, not over weight, been diagnosed with type 2, 2 years ago, been on metformin since then. I read that taking metformin lowers your B12 levels? does anyone take any vitamins to supplement this and or any vitamins that help with diabetes.

I have an appt with the nurse on Tuesday (3/2/15) and had my bloods taken last week, I logged into my online account and can see my results, the HbA1c levels are 67% mmol/mol or 8.3% DCCT.

This is down a little on my last set of results which were 78% mmol/mol or 9.3% DCCT.

I am a bit worried that I'll end up on insulin soon as every doc/nurse says I am not the typical type 2 patient.

#1 chrisdoh1983, Jan 29, 2015 at 12:55 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  2. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, it might be that you should worry about not being put on insulin? Normal weight and young age sounds like you are a possible LADA.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

Nest Tuesday is the 3rd. Is this **** up time?

• Like Like x 2
  4. chrisdoh1983

Yeah that's true, maybe I need to go it! I'll see what the nurse has to say, hopefully I get sorted one way or another

5. chrisdoh1983

Yes you are correct!

6. ))Denise((

))Denise(( Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. chrisdoh1983

Hi,

I test my blood every so often, usually if I feel a bit yucky to see if my levels are high or low and sort them out accordingly

8. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

You could get those levels right down if you start testing before and 2 hours after meals. This will tell you if you are eating the wrong things. A rise of above 2mmol/l means there are too many carbs in that meal. (Most of us prefer the rise to be a lot less than 2mmol/l) Give it a try for your next few meals and post the results here if you wish. Maybe we can spot a few things.

• Like Like x 4
  9. chrisdoh1983

Thank you that's a good idea, i'll start to do that

• Like Like x 2
  10. chrisdoh1983

Well that's me been put on Gliclazide 80mg, to be taken with my morning metformin.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook