Hba1c check ups

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, just wondering how long I'm supposed to wait in between hba1c check ups at the gp's. Previous hba1c was end of May 2021 which was down to 37 so didn't know if surgery extends the time between checks. Thought I'd ask on here before bothering gp as my readings and diet are stable.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seems to vary between surgeries.
I haven’t had any for well over a year. I do have my annual appointment for retinopathy eye test, though. Perhaps that will trigger GP checks.

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, I've had my eye screening at the hospital too, which is why I'm unsure of what their method is for hba1c checks - odd to me!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
My most recent yearly one was 2 months late, my eye screening and feet checks were 3 months late.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NICE guidelines are that hba1c should be checked monthly til stable in levels and treatment and then 6 monthly.

The full diabetic checks (feet, eyes, cholesterol etc) are usually annual. Many surgeries seem to skip the half yearly hba1c even though it’s against guidance and just do the full annual one. Many members have reminded their surgeries if the 6 month advice and got it as a result.

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The docs thinking drugs cure all
NICE guidelines says 6 monthly but many it’s yearly unless on meds or some surgery’s want to see more often to keep an eye on you.