Type 2 HBA1C day.

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my blood test today, I know it’s high, not measuring below 9.8 m/mol, started metformin in December, changed to slow realise at New Year, 1000 mg with evening meal, still above 10 m/ mol . Had last 3 weeks low carb diet, Could I have something different to type 2?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you give some details of what you are eating as low carb can cover quite a wide range of foods.

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you give some details of what you are eating as low carb can cover quite a wide range of foods.

Meat, cheese, BPC, nuts, green leaf veg. No bread ,rice ,pasta, no refined sugar, no chocolate below 85%, no Beer, proper low carb/ keto.

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm - that does seem rather high BG for a truly low carb diet. Perhaps your GP should be consulted.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Three weeks of lchf prior to HbA1c test won't effect the result much.
I expect you will be seeing your GP soon when the HbA1c test results come in and you need to talk this through with her/him. You might be put on another medication, possibly Glicazade. That seems to be the next step with T2s with continuing high readings.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your BG is higher then I would expect with 3 weeks of true low carb for someone recently dyanosed with type2. Have you got a graph of your 2h post meal BG (or before meal) to see if they are comming down?

Personally I think your GP should be getting a "c peptide" test done and/or sending you to a consultant, as LADA is a possibility. However your GP may not have any experience of how quickly BG normally drops in type2 with very low carb, or may not believe what you say about your diet.

Hence measure BG before and 2hr after every meal along with taking a photo of the meal, then produce a nicely formatted document for your GP, so as to make it easy for him/her.

Reactions: Prem51