HBa1c down to 36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Gym and any Manual work
my last HBA1c came out at 36 - very pleased with the drop as I had increased my daily steps to a minimum of 10000

The Doctor wants me to stay on Metformin but I am not happy with that as I monitor my sugar daily

Should I stop Metformin for the next test in July and see what effect it has on Blood Sugar ?

AshB

Reactions: phdiabetic

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my last HBA1c came out at 36 - very pleased with the drop as I had increased my daily steps to a minimum of 10000

The Doctor wants me to stay on Metformin but I am not happy with that as I monitor my sugar daily

Should I stop Metformin for the next test in July and see what effect it has on Blood Sugar ?

AshB
Congratulations! Why stop something that is working well for you, alongside your own efforts? You may like to read this, by a journalist former member of this Forum, before deciding:
http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=1261

Reactions: dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! Brilliant HbA1c.

It is entirely up to you whether or not you stop Metformin, and how you feel taking medication. Metformin is a mild drug and only helps to a limited extent with blood glucose. It is more helpful if you are overweight as it is an appetite suppressant (although not everyone notices this). It helps a small amount by reducing the amount of stored glucose your liver dumps in times of fasting (and sometimes exercise), which is more helpful if you have high morning fasting levels.

The decision is yours. (not your GP's!!)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Result! Well done.

On the Metformin front it is entirely up to you. Blood glucose levels are not greatly affected by Metformin so I would do as you propose and see what happens at your next A1c test always keeping in mind that it was your change in diet and your hard work which was responsible for your improvement in numbers.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

AshB

Good job!