1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HBa1c down to 36

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by TheProtectedTrader, Apr 30, 2018.

1. TheProtectedTrader

TheProtectedTrader Type 2 · Newbie

my last HBA1c came out at 36 - very pleased with the drop as I had increased my daily steps to a minimum of 10000

The Doctor wants me to stay on Metformin but I am not happy with that as I monitor my sugar daily

Should I stop Metformin for the next test in July and see what effect it has on Blood Sugar ?

AshB

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Why stop something that is working well for you, alongside your own efforts? You may like to read this, by a journalist former member of this Forum, before deciding:
    http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=1261

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Well done! Brilliant HbA1c.

It is entirely up to you whether or not you stop Metformin, and how you feel taking medication. Metformin is a mild drug and only helps to a limited extent with blood glucose. It is more helpful if you are overweight as it is an appetite suppressant (although not everyone notices this). It helps a small amount by reducing the amount of stored glucose your liver dumps in times of fasting (and sometimes exercise), which is more helpful if you have high morning fasting levels.

The decision is yours. (not your GP's!!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Result! Well done.

On the Metformin front it is entirely up to you. Blood glucose levels are not greatly affected by Metformin so I would do as you propose and see what happens at your next A1c test always keeping in mind that it was your change in diet and your hard work which was responsible for your improvement in numbers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. NewTD2

NewTD2 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. phdiabetic

phdiabetic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good job!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook