HbA1c Guidelines

MrXile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreas.
My DSN said the three monthly 'safe' average was 44 and below.

Reactions: wiseowl_123

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
My DSN said the 3 month "safe" average was 48 and below,why is there so many different values:)

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My last test was 35 and consultant told me that was too low and aim for 48 I'm confused by it all

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My DSN told me mine was too low, so I have treated the comment with the contempt it deserved.

Reactions: wiseowl_123

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning @JohnE perhaps we should add all our different ones up and come out with an average figure and use that;)

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have my first appointment with the diabetic team at the local hospital next week, wonder what they are going to make of me with HbA1c of 39.
Well done. Can't wait to be that figure!!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Have a look at the various NICE Diabetes Guidelines documents on the web (Google it). They are generally very sensible and updated most years. It's a pity that some GPs/nurses don't read them.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When they say your HbA1c is too low, could this just mean that your medication is too strong? Maybe the high target of 48 is to minimise medication.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When they say your HbA1c is too low, could this just mean that your medication is too strong? Maybe the high target of 48 is to minimise medication.
Or, in my case, that my diet is too strict or too successful. A 'low' HbA1c in their eyes means you may be getting some bgl's that they would consider to be a risk in their own way (i.e. hypo). My GP has asked me to make diet adjustments to take my average daily bgl to 7 mmol/l, whereas I am targetting 6 as my goal. I am aiming to reduce my meds instead,

Last edited:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When they say your HbA1c is too low, could this just mean that your medication is too strong?

In my case the DSN thought I should stop my Metformin, she was shocked as she wasn't aware I had stopped it 9 months earlier.

She didn't give a reason why she thought it too low, only that she thought I should aim higher.