hba1c halved

Kingmob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the risk of sounding trite, want to thanks everyone who posts here, past and present. Found this site around time of my diagnosis and the information here has given me a chance to educate myself and get things under control when I felt my doctor had written me off.

Had second meeting with DN earlier, happy to report that my hba1c has dropped from 104 (late July) to 49 (start of October). Meeting was a lot more positive than I expected, DN seemed delighted with results and genuinely interested in what I've been doing. DN admitted that she had originally suggested the meeting to see how much I needed to increase medication (currently 2*500mg metformin) but no need for that. Even had a frank conversation about the diet recommendations from the desmond course.

Not going to become complacent and know I've a lot more to learn/experience but this is a real game changer for me. Rarely visited the doctor (perhaps 3-4 times in last decade), been over 300 lbs all that time but felt unsupported. Told to lose weight but suggestions for how was to get up early and go swimming or take fat binding tablets. Been logging what I eat on myfitnesspal, lowering carbs replacing with protein and healthy fats and taking as many opportunities to get out for a walk as possible. As well as lowering my hba1c, have lost more than two stone since end of august. Still a big guy (340 lb) but now have the confidence that I can come out of this better than before.

Reactions: seanj67

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very many congrats, and I'm not just saying that cos you're bigger'n me. Keep it up and you'll feel the benefit even more.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you keep on with the low carb then there should be no problem in controlling your weight once you sort out your metabolism.
I am just using it for blood glucose control - as in keeping it below 8 most of the time to start with, now seeing under 7 after meals - but I have needed a lot of new clothes - all the things I had which went around my waist started to fall off.
I have been trying to do low carb for decades, but the doctors have been totally against low carb - I would lose weight have to go to see the doctor, be congratulated for weightloss, then shouted at for doing low carb.
Since being diagnosed I have done low carb, got normal results and my doctor is sulking - doesn't want to see me.

Kingmob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all for the kinds words, been a roller-coaster of a day. Took the day off work, thought I'd walk to meeting (30 min), 10 minutes after leaving house got soaked. Stopped to buy a towel and an umbrella and noticed I'd lost an expensive electronic pen. While searching for that ended up convinced I'd lost my wallet as well. Glad I didn't need to have BP measured today.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Absoblumminlutely fantastic, well done!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats, @Kingmob, on a job well done. I am sure your next set of test results will be even better.