Type 1 Hba1c over 100 at the time of conception

Kelly88

Hba1c over 100 at time of conception

I am currently 8 weeks pregnant
I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in January and got pregnant a couple of days later (before being told not to get pregnant) I was already pregnant but unaware when I was told this

My hba1c at the time of conception was around 100/110
I know this can cause defects and problems for the baby which is really worrying me

I have been researching and reading everything and spoken to doctors
The statistics seem to be different from everyone

I was considering a termination as I thought this was the right thing to do giving all the worrying outcomes of conceiving with such a high hba1c and the health of unborn child is so important to me I would be heartbroken and feel guilty for ever if there was anything seriously wrong

I am so scared confused and upset
Does anyone have any advice please or been through a similar situation

Thank you Kelly x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Kelly,

Firstly I can move your post into the 'Pregnancy' section if you wish for better visibility ?

Ok have you spoken to your diabetes team about your concerns ?

Women wishing to conceive are given guidelines, they are not rules, please do not feel guilty because of the circumstances you find yourself in, it wasn't your fault you were diagnosed with type 1 and no one can predict what will happen, however your team should be helping you to manage your pregnancy and support you. I was diagnosed at 23 weeks with gestational, I don't know how long i'd had it as it was only picked up then and not sooner, so I could of been gestational for a good while, however when it was picked up I went straight onto insulin and fumbled my way round the rest of the pregnancy till I was induced early at 37 weeks, baby was born fine altho a little large as had been feeding off my high blood glucose levels. Personally termination wasn't something I would of considered, I didn't feel guilty I just saw it as a pain and something i had to manage the best way I could. It's important to look after yourself physically and mentally during this time to ensure a healthy outcome for you both. Speak to your team if you have any concerns but you will have regular check ups and the baby will be monitored now, try to enjoy this time too and not to worry :)

Reactions: gemma_T1