1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HbA1c question

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Geordie_P, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi friends,
    I took a venous blood test about a month ago, I guess it was the HbA1c I've seen mentioned here: my fasting bg was 13.2 (so a shock diagnosis of diabetes) and triglycerides 32.2 (sic). I went back two weeks later and had a finger-prick which said my fasting bg was 5.8; the doctor put me on rosuvastatin for the trigs, then said to come back in 2 months for another venous test, so we can see what's going on.

I've changed my lifestyle a lot and lost just under 2 stone since the diagnosis, but by the time the next test comes, I will have been 'good' for two months only: if the HbA1c takes an average over 3 months, will the result be skewed by the month I had before diagnosis?

2. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

A lot of people think that it's the last few weeks prior to the test that has the most effect, rather than the full 3 months. I think you should get a pleasant surprise with the new test :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jonbvn

jonbvn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

HbAic results are skewed towards the most recent month
    BG readings.

4. Geordie_P

Thanks; I'll just go for the test then. Here's hoping!

5. KevinPotts

KevinPotts Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would personally wait the extra month to get the most consistently demonstrable result. What was you HbA1C as the number you provide (13.2) is more in line with a standard BG prick test?

6. Geordie_P

As far as it being the HbA1c, goes, I'm not entirely sure.
    All I know is that I had a venous test, and then got lab results for clinical chemistry which said fasting bg was 13.2 mmol/l. Whether it's actually the HbA1c, I'm not sure. It might be the Asian equivalent. The 5.8 I got later was just the standard finger test that you do at home. I'll try to find out more, and keep everyone's advice in mind- I'm pretty new to all this, so I really appreciate the help.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook