Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi friends,
I took a venous blood test about a month ago, I guess it was the HbA1c I've seen mentioned here: my fasting bg was 13.2 (so a shock diagnosis of diabetes) and triglycerides 32.2 (sic). I went back two weeks later and had a finger-prick which said my fasting bg was 5.8; the doctor put me on rosuvastatin for the trigs, then said to come back in 2 months for another venous test, so we can see what's going on.

I've changed my lifestyle a lot and lost just under 2 stone since the diagnosis, but by the time the next test comes, I will have been 'good' for two months only: if the HbA1c takes an average over 3 months, will the result be skewed by the month I had before diagnosis?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of people think that it's the last few weeks prior to the test that has the most effect, rather than the full 3 months. I think you should get a pleasant surprise with the new test :)

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
HbAic results are skewed towards the most recent month
BG readings.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I would personally wait the extra month to get the most consistently demonstrable result. What was you HbA1C as the number you provide (13.2) is more in line with a standard BG prick test?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As far as it being the HbA1c, goes, I'm not entirely sure.
All I know is that I had a venous test, and then got lab results for clinical chemistry which said fasting bg was 13.2 mmol/l. Whether it's actually the HbA1c, I'm not sure. It might be the Asian equivalent. The 5.8 I got later was just the standard finger test that you do at home. I'll try to find out more, and keep everyone's advice in mind- I'm pretty new to all this, so I really appreciate the help.