1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HbA1c reading from BG levels

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by AM1874, May 21, 2017.

1. AM1874

AM1874 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago I was given a formula for calculating HbA1C from average BG levels. I have applied this formula for the past two months (see my sig block). I was advised, though, by a number of folk on here (thanks all), that this would probably not match my subsequent lab-tested HbA1C reading .. and sure enough, it didn't.

My calculated HbA1c for April was 36, and for May it was 33 .. but a lab-tested reading today was 40. This was taken on 18th but it is already on-line with all the numbers for my first annual review on 25th.

With this information, I have now re-jigged all the calculations I made when using the HbA1c conversion, partictularly to take in the previous 90 days worth of BG readings, rather than averages for the month .. and I can confirm that the formula is accurate but I made some errors in the averaging process. I was advised about this but still managed to get it (a bit) wrong .. so for anybody using the formula I would recommend double and even triple checking ..

Anyway, the bottom line is that my "actual" HbA1c is now sitting pretty at 40 .. and I'm a happy man :joyful:

(sig block to be upated after review)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. andcol

andcol I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

If you load your data into the application I have written it will not only give you an estimate of your HbA1c using the last 90 days of readings but will also give you a measure for the readings being at20% tolerance so you will get an upper and lower bound. Additionally the graph will give you your HbA1c of any point and using the trend graphs can give you a pretty good estimate with a lot less data than 90 days worth.

Have a look at the thread in my signature. There are many other features that may peak your interest.

Well done on the 40 HbA1c.

3. AM1874

AM1874 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @andcol ..
    Thanks .. I'm no techie so I have been using a simple spreadsheet for recording my BG levels .. fasting, pre and post-prandial every day .. and then just playing with formulae for averaging and so on .. all a bit clunky but it works for me, apart from the errors described above :meh:
    Anyway, I'm a bit pushed for time at present .. lots of golf comps, holidays and family trips coming up .. but I will have a look at your app when things settle down a bit .. it all looks very interesting
    Many thanks again ..

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook