Type 2 Hba1c result query

Miss_Toria

Hi, I was diagnosed a year ago and at the time my hba1c level was 77. So at the time was seriously ill without realising. I managed to get it down to high 40’s by the following blood test and a more recent blood test it was 44. I’m on metformin. The doctor just left a message saying result was satisfactory. What does it all mean. Anyone else just feel they are left to get on with things with no real guidance.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Every one of us, we become our own practitioner pretty much.
44 puts you in the pre-diabetic zone (42-47) but it's an amazing improvement.

You need to get a meter, find what works for you & adjust your diet accordingly.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
What does it all mean.

Doctors tend to look at a chart and basically give a one word summation. It's not the most morale boosting thing when you've done amazingly to get down from 77 to 44 but that's just the way they write their reports. It puts you at prediabetic levels rather than diabetic or non diabetic levels so personally I would be very happy with that, given your starting point.

As @Ronancastled said, if you want to go down lower to non diabetic levels, you could consider getting a meter to test your food to see what is spiking you and what you can easily cope with.

Anyway, congrats on the result. I would love to have an hba1c of 44. :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed a year ago and at the time my hba1c level was 77. So at the time was seriously ill without realising. I managed to get it down to high 40’s by the following blood test and a more recent blood test it was 44. I’m on metformin. The doctor just left a message saying result was satisfactory. What does it all mean. Anyone else just feel they are left to get on with things with no real guidance.

Hi there,

As mentioned above, pretty good result.
Doctors or DSNs as a rule just give the news then move on with the next patient.. "Satisfactory" or "good." is as good as it gets from mine too?
I never get the impression the trouble has been taken for balloons primed to drop or a marching band bursting through the door.
I may get lucky with a closing, "keep doing what you do."
Lol, it does seem like an appraisal in a dead end job.
But don't let the doc's comment undermine your personal achievements.

Reactions: ultradad and jjraak