Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi hba1c nov 45 With medication now 45 without medication

Cholesterol down 5.6. Now 5.2
Trigs 2.5 Now 1.8
Hdl. 1.59. Now1.51
Nearly 2 1/2 stone weight loss

I Was disappointed hba1c stayed at 45,
Dn was really pleased & reminded me it was just 8 week since last test & first without meds

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
To come off meds and still manage to get the same A1c is a definite improvement! Well done, give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have managed to stay the same as you were without any medication, so that is definitely something to be pleased about, especially as it covers the Christmas period. It proves you don't need the meds. Well done. :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

Trigs 2.5 Now 1.8
Hdl. 1.59. Now1.51

Dn was really pleased & reminded me it was just 8 week since last test & first without meds
MAGIC!!!!! Dance around and shout SUCCESS.Yayyay!!! Brilliant so chuffed you could stick me in a bucket for you.:D:D:D:happy:

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any progress is good! It's natural to feel a little disappointed if you didn't meet your goals, but in 8 weeks you can't see the full effect of the changes you've made - perhaps you'd see a little lower result if you tested after 12 weeks. Good job

Reactions: Jenniewren1958

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Any progress is good! It's natural to feel a little disappointed if you didn't meet your goals, but in 8 weeks you can't see the full effect of the changes you've made - perhaps you'd see a little lower result if you tested after 12 weeks. Good job
Next hba1c is 12 weeks so def hoping it will be lower

nicki_484

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Trigs 2.5 Now 1.8
Hdl. 1.59. Now1.51

Wow well done you! That's brilliant .

Do you have any posts on how you did it and what diet you do?

Reactions: Prem51

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not to be negative, but at these HBa1c levels, I would recommend anyone who does not get the side effects of Metformin to take it. Personally, I intend to keep taking Metformin for as long as my doctor will let me, regardless of how low by A1C gets, as it has so many proven benefits for people with high insulin resistance regardless of current BG levels. (I would not think the same if I got the side effects!)

In other words, give me for example 43 with Metformin rather than 45 without Metformin anyway….. (Once down to the low 30s for a few years, then I may consider dropping Metformin.)

Your Trigs coming down so much shows that your body is coping a lot better with the level of carbs you are giving it, they are still a bit high, but if you keep losing weight, they will improve as you remove more fat from your liver. Remember that fruit sugar (fructose) is the single larger driver of trig levels, and that table sugar is 50% fructose. (fructose does not directly increase BG, therefore eating to your meter does not show the full harm of eating fruit.)

I assume your liver function tests are normal or greatly improved.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not to be negative, but at these HBa1c levels, I would recommend anyone who does not get the side effects of Metformin to take it. Personally, I intend to keep taking Metformin for as long as my doctor will let me, regardless of how low by A1C gets, as it has so many proven benefits for people with high insulin resistance regardless of current BG levels. (I would not think the same if I got the side effects!)

In other words, give me for example 43 with Metformin rather than 45 without Metformin anyway….. (Once down to the low 30s for a few years, then I may consider dropping Metformin.)

Your Trigs coming down so much shows that your body is coping a lot better with the level of carbs you are giving it, they are still a bit high, but if you keep losing weight, they will improve as you remove more fat from your liver. Remember that fruit sugar (fructose) is the single larger driver of trig levels, and that table sugar is 50% fructose. (fructose does not directly increase BG, therefore eating to your meter does not show the full harm of eating fruit.)

@ringi
Why is taking metformin a better option? Ive reduced my HBA1C from 97 to 37 with diet alone, no meds. I want to put off taking metformin for as long as possible. My reasoning is that I don't want yo take any medication unless I have to.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@TooManyCrisps First very well done on your A1C result.

Metformin reduces the insulin level our body needs to make for any given intake of carbs. It has been shown that having lower insulin levels tend to result in a reduction in insulin resistance and that it's the insulin level, not the BG level that is responsible for the increased risk of heart problems and strokes. (A recent study has even shown that Metformin reduces the risk of Cancer - more research is needed on this.)

But "low carb" reduces these risks a lot more than Metformin does on its own.

I am keeping my carbs low (about 50g, so not Keto, but close, some people would call it very low carb) along with exercise and intermittent fasting, but I am also taking Metformin as I wish to put off forever having to take other medication for Type2. (People who only get down to the high 40s with diet seem to often come back a few years later saying their Type2 is now out of control, and that Metformin is not enough. I expect the low 30s are needed to remove all risk of adding to liver fat, along with removing all current liver fat.)

However, in your case, it is unlikely a GP would not give you a prescription for Metformin as your A1C is now so good. (GPs only seem to care if A1C shows you are at risk of going blind etc within the next few years.)

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi thankyou for the the information. Unfortunately metformin made my vitamin b12 levels drop, I was given vit b12 injections had a bad reaction as they contain cobalt & im a allergic to cobalt.
Dn had wanted me to go on insulin in aug 17, I asked to try diet first.
stumbled on this site & have learnt so much from the fantastic members of this forum, but still have a a lot to learn

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi thankyou for the the information. Unfortunately metformin made my vitamin b12 levels drop, I was given vit b12 injections had a bad reaction as they contain cobalt & im a allergic to cobalt.

That's a very good reason not to take metformin, I would like to see B12 testing being standard for everyone on metformin. There are no other Type2 drugs that I would consider taking at your A1C levels, as they all are too new (and hence high risk) or increase insulin levels, and hence increase insulin resistance.

nicki_484

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’m doing lchf. About 80 g of carbs

Thank you, it's so lovely to hear of people getting great results from doing it through diet.
I'm doing it as well but my cholesterol has gone up. I don't eat bad fats but at that time I was eating a lot of 90% dark chocolate which I now realise is a lot of fat so I think that may have started my problem with cholesterol

If you don't mind could you please tell me how many grams of fat and protein you roughly have a day as well?

I really do not want to take any medication.

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you, it's so lovely to hear of people getting great results from doing it through diet.
I'm doing it as well but my cholesterol has gone up. I don't eat bad fats but at that time I was eating a lot of 90% dark chocolate which I now realise is a lot of fat so I think that may have started my problem with cholesterol

If you don't mind could you please tell me how many grams of fat and protein you roughly have a day as well?

I really do not want to take any medication.

I’ve not worked all that out but a typical days food.

Breakfast. Wafer thin slice of Edam few wallnuts & coffee, or 2 boiled eggs & coffee

Lunch steamed haddock, or protein with salad or veg & celeriac ( chips, roast mash or dauphinois)

Tea something light omelette, boiled egg, fish or wafer thin cheese olives tomatoe etc.

Hope 5his helps

Reactions: nicki_484