Hba1c results

Bhargavi

Hello everyone,

I had my blood test done last week and the I got a mail from the Medical Center which said 'I need my GP to ring me ' . Not sure what this means really .I have been paranoid and posted about this in the group yesterday but really my question is to ask how were your blood test results communicated to you? Did the GP call you /did the GP receptionist call or inform you in anyway or were you asked to make an appointment with the GP?

Its 2 days more I have to wait for these results to be diagnosed and its really frustrating to wait..

Reactions: Anthony1738

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I found out the hard way. I had routine blood tests done. No communication. A few days later I saw a hospital consultant on a totally different matter. She looked at her computer screen and said "I see you are diabetic". I said "No, I'm not". She said "I'm not an endocrinologist so I advise you to see your GP" I rang the surgery and was given an appointment with a health care assistant because apparently a letter had been sent out to me asking me to make this appointment. The HCA said she needed to take more bloods to confirm the original tests because they indicated diabetes. Next day, the missing letter appeared. (No mention of diabetes). These second lots of bloods confirmed the diagnosis I hadn't been given and an appointment was made with the diabetes nurse. I have never seen a GP in relation to my diabetes, and all that was in January 2014. I only ever see a HCA and the diabetes nurse.

Reactions: Bhargavi

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
First time by phone from the dn then second time online. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After a routine annual blood test for kidney and liver function also cholesterol my surgery rang and said the doctor would like to see me. When I went in she told me the results showed I probably had T2 but to have another blood test to confirm it which it did and then I was told to see the diabetes nurse

Wshelledy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a one week follow up already scheduled after my yearly physical to go over lab results. The gp told me then.

Bhargavi

I found out the hard way. I had routine blood tests done. No communication. A few days later I saw a hospital consultant on a totally different matter. She looked at her computer screen and said "I see you are diabetic". I said "No, I'm not". She said "I'm not an endocrinologist so I advise you to see your GP" I rang the surgery and was given an appointment with a health care assistant because apparently a letter had been sent out to me asking me to make this appointment. The HCA said she needed to take more bloods to confirm the original tests because they indicated diabetes. Next day, the missing letter appeared. (No mention of diabetes). These second lots of bloods confirmed the diagnosis I hadn't been given and an appointment was made with the diabetes nurse. I have never seen a GP in relation to my diabetes, and all that was in January 2014. I only ever see a HCA and the diabetes nurse.
Thank you for sharing ! Sorry you had to go through all this ..!

Bhargavi

After a routine annual blood test for kidney and liver function also cholesterol my surgery rang and said the doctor would like to see me. When I went in she told me the results showed I probably had T2 but to have another blood test to confirm it which it did and then I was told to see the diabetes nurse
Thanks for sharing !

Eldra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed in France so it may be different. Also I'm type 1. Long story short, not the ambulance people, not the nurses would tell me. Usually only a doctor is qualified to give such a news (in France).

willmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Bargavi,

I am a type 1 who has had the disease for 67 years. I was requested to visit the practice nurse for an annual diabetic checkup. Among other tests, she took a blood sample for HBA1c. I was asked to return in one week and was given the result at the second appointment. I know that the NHS is understaffed and underfunded. The unfortunate state of affairs here is that blood samples are collected by a routine van driver and the results are then posted out to the practice by normal mail. It appears that different parts or sections of the NHS cannot communicate with each other by email or computer. This is less than desirable. But I should not worry. Just be patient.
WillMax

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Bargavi,

I am a type 1 who has had the disease for 67 years. I was requested to visit the practice nurse for an annual diabetic checkup. Among other tests, she took a blood sample for HBA1c. I was asked to return in one week and was given the result at the second appointment. I know that the NHS is understaffed and underfunded. The unfortunate state of affairs here is that blood samples are collected by a routine van driver and the results are then posted out to the practice by normal mail. It appears that different parts or sections of the NHS cannot communicate with each other by email or computer. This is less than desirable. But I should not worry. Just be patient.
WillMax

That's not what happens in my neck of the woods. (East Lancashire). Bloods are collected twice a day from the surgery and taken straight to the lab. The lab prints out the results on a computer as soon as they are tested and this is available immediately in the surgery. They then have to be seen by a doctor, and once authorised they become available to the patient, either over the phone if you ring up, or via a computer print out if you ask for one, or as in the case of my surgery they are on-line. I can see my test results on-line within 24 hours.

Bhargavi

Ok , I managed to get the results .and its apparently upper cut off for pre diabetes . Ive been asked to repeat the test in 2 weeks time . Any idea why I have been asked to wait 2 weeks? What can i do to make my reaults normal?

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok , I managed to get the results .and its apparently upper cut off for pre diabetes . Ive been asked to repeat the test in 2 weeks time . Any idea why I have been asked to wait 2 weeks? What can i do to make my reaults normal?

This is good news Bhargavi! It means you most likely have time to turn things around before you get to the point of a T2D diagnosis. You'll soon get some great advice from the lovely people on this forum and I hope you do take it - diabetes can be very serious and I know a lot of people here would have given their eye teeth for a warning sign on the road towards it. It's absolutely within your power to return your pre-diabetes to no-diabetes-at-all

Bhargavi

This is good news Bhargavi! It means you most likely have time to turn things around before you get to the point of a T2D diagnosis. You'll soon get some great advice from the lovely people on this forum and I hope you do take it - diabetes can be very serious and I know a lot of people here would have given their eye teeth for a warning sign on the road towards it. It's absolutely within your power to return your pre-diabetes to no-diabetes-at-all
Thanks for the motivation! I really needed this .I was trying to be normal all day through but from inside I knew i was not .End of day this is my reality and I have to be determined to return to normal.Thank you again !

Eldra

Type of diabetes
Type 1

That's right, there are quite a fair share of stories of people who tackled the problem before it got out of hand! I suggest you read about them, many are available on this forum. All my best wishes, hope you will be able to tame the beast too :)

Bhargavi

That's right, there are quite a fair share of stories of people who tackled the problem before it got out of hand! I suggest you read about them, many are available on this forum. All my best wishes, hope you will be able to tame the beast too :)
Thank you Eldra! I'm determined to do so :)