Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Bhargavi

Hello Bhargavi and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful if you should need it. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help you.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: Bhargavi

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Boom Boom Club Music (cant see the point its not Music) Moto GP and Manchester United
Ok , I managed to get the results .and its apparently upper cut off for pre diabetes . Ive been asked to repeat the test in 2 weeks time . Any idea why I have been asked to wait 2 weeks? What can i do to make my reaults normal?
Hi, @Bhargavi

Its all about what you eat my friend, in my case cutting out the carbs and the beer cut my Blood glucose level by half in two weeks, your Hb1AC test gives and average reading over the past 3 months, you can make a difference in 2 weeks mate, good luck, try doing some research in to the causes of Type 2 and then you will quickly understand how to control it and then completely reverse it, just by a few simple life style changes, Google "Prof Roy Taylor", Dr Micheal Mosley, and Dr Jason Fung, all these searches will bring you masses of information by which you can formulate your own plan, to suit your own personal circumstances.

I truly believe that the idea of type 2 Diabetes as a chronic and progressive disease is a load of B***Sh**! It can and has been reversed countless thousands of times all over the world simply by treating the cause and not the symptoms. In a nutshell Type 1 is caused by lack of insulin production, Type 2 is caused by the production of too much insulin and your auto imune system attacks the overproduction untill your body becomes resistant to it, so it produces more and so the vicious circle continues, so why doctors prescribe insulin for type 2s is beyond all common sense, its like treating a alcoholic with more alcohol!!

Anyway rant over, Good luck and best wishes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bhargavi

As others have said, the second test is just to confirm the first and there needs to be a bit of a time gap between them. This is just routine when someone is borderline. You now have every chance to get back to normal. A blood glucose meter will help you do this, so I do advise you to buy one as soon as possible.

Diet is the key to control, so no more sugar! Other foods that cause problems are bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, pastry, breakfast cereals and flour, which need reducing in quantity. We also need to be careful with fruit. A meter will guide you and when you get one we will help you use it to your best advantage.

Good luck, and keep reading, posting, and asking questions.

Bhargavi

@Bhargavi

As others have said, the second test is just to confirm the first and there needs to be a bit of a time gap between them. This is just routine when someone is borderline. You now have every chance to get back to normal. A blood glucose meter will help you do this, so I do advise you to buy one as soon as possible.

Diet is the key to control, so no more sugar! Other foods that cause problems are bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, pastry, breakfast cereals and flour, which need reducing in quantity. We also need to be careful with fruit. A meter will guide you and when you get one we will help you use it to your best advantage.

Good luck, and keep reading, posting, and asking questions.
Thanks a lot .yes , i'm pretty strict on my diet at the moment .think rice was the culprit in my case .so a big NO to it ! I've switched to healthier carbs and yes i will use the meter to record my blood glucose :)

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, @Bhargavi

Its all about what you eat my friend, in my case cutting out the carbs and the beer cut my Blood glucose level by half in two weeks, your Hb1AC test gives and average reading over the past 3 months, you can make a difference in 2 weeks mate, good luck, try doing some research in to the causes of Type 2 and then you will quickly understand how to control it and then completely reverse it, just by a few simple life style changes, Google "Prof Roy Taylor", Dr Micheal Mosley, and Dr Jason Fung, all these searches will bring you masses of information by which you can formulate your own plan, to suit your own personal circumstances.

I truly believe that the idea of type 2 Diabetes as a chronic and progressive disease is a load of B***Sh**! It can and has been reversed countless thousands of times all over the world simply by treating the cause and not the symptoms. In a nutshell Type 1 is caused by lack of insulin production, Type 2 is caused by the production of too much insulin and your auto imune system attacks the overproduction untill your body becomes resistant to it, so it produces more and so the vicious circle continues, so why doctors prescribe insulin for type 2s is beyond all common sense, its like treating a alcoholic with more alcohol!!

Anyway rant over, Good luck and best wishes

I don't want to de-rail this thread but I have to say some t2's have to take Insulin by necessity, so please check your facts.

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Boom Boom Club Music (cant see the point its not Music) Moto GP and Manchester United
I don't want to de-rail this thread but I have to say some t2's have to take Insulin by necessity, so please check your facts.

Yes I agree with you, many type 2s do, and I personally know of one who is a close friend. My point is it can be controlled by diet excersise and fasting without medication, it is entirely up to the individual to make lifestyle changes,
take a look at Dr Jason Fung, you can search for his videos on Youtube and describes in great detail the effects of insulin in both T1 and T2.

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The facts are all here

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst Dr Fungs's theory may fit many t2's it doesn't fit everyone........and I am one of the ones it doesn't fit..........I take Insulin because I have too not because I want too............as do many others........on their behalf I'd ask you to not judge what you have no knowledge of.........everyone's Diabetes if unique to them.

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whilst Dr Fungs's theory may fit many t2's it doesn't fit everyone........and I am one of the ones it doesn't fit..........I take Insulin because I have too not because I want too............as do many others........on their behalf I'd ask you to not judge what you have no knowledge of.........everyone's Diabetes if unique to them.
I agree I have limited knowledge, and if I may say so your in the minority, in the meantime heres some more facts that I dont know: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/a-unifying-theory-of-disease.1795/

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You are again making assumptions...........as is the blogger.........
It seems that we have got off on the wrong foot, if I have offended you in any way I apologise without reservation.

I can assure you that my reversal of type 2 is not an assumption it is fact, and I am so pleased that I feel the need to pass on how I acheived this reversal to others, and most of my learning came from this website or links thereon, I am a "My glass is half full" type of guy and maintain a positive attitude. I say with confidence that if I can reverse the terrible disease that I have, then there is hope for everyone, I wish you all the best and good luck.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Can members please stay on thread and remain civil towards one another - we are all here to help and support each other, any de-railing posts will be removed, thanks.

Mark_1

Ok , I managed to get the results .and its apparently upper cut off for pre diabetes . Ive been asked to repeat the test in 2 weeks time . Any idea why I have been asked to wait 2 weeks? What can i do to make my reaults normal?

If it was me I’d cut out all carbs as best as I could for the next 2 weeks. If your first test was pre-diabetic levels (between 42 and 48) then it may be possible to get that below 42 in 2 weeks. I dropped 6 points in a week of eating chicken and broccoli or cabbage for dinner, coffee and cream was all I had for breakfast and lunch. I’m not suggesting this as a long term diet and if you do manage to get back to normal levels I’d still be careful long term.

Bhargavi

If it was me I’d cut out all carbs as best as I could for the next 2 weeks. If your first test was pre-diabetic levels (between 42 and 48) then it may be possible to get that below 42 in 2 weeks. I dropped 6 points in a week of eating chicken and broccoli or cabbage for dinner, coffee and cream was all I had for breakfast and lunch. I’m not suggesting this as a long term diet and if you do manage to get back to normal levels I’d still be careful long term.
Thanks so much . Yes my levels were at 48 . I am cutting down on carbs but somehow cant totally take them out .I am hoping to see better rrsults in a few weeks .

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are again making assumptions...........as is the blogger.........

As the blogger in question . I agree totally I am making assumptions. I am an accountant not a doctor !

So as not to de- rail this thread I will make some comments about insulin users in my blog, because I am aware that what I am suggesting is scary stuff for someone who is insulin dependent. I don't think it needs to be.

For the opening poster, it seems you have got a diagnosis early and you will be able to beat this.

Ultimately doctors work for you not the other way round. It is your choice as to the timing of your next review if you want it to be. It is your choice as to whether or not to take medication or not.

You have a couple of weeks to read up n the subject so that you can go into that next appointment much better armed than you are today.

Very many of us have found we can make significant improvements in a relatively short time. If you do begin right now, then the chances are that your figures will show an improvement in two weeks time, even if tiny.

The main thing though is that having found here you have found a bunch of people all working hard to find ways to deal with this diagnosis and for many of us, that is proving to not only assist us in our diabetes, but also assist us in other health issues and general well being.

Welcome to the party !

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The realization that for up to 10 years before diagnosis and 10 years after diagnosis we may have excessive insulin secretion in response to carbs and proteins gives us an opportunity to make dietary changes that preserve our beta cells...unfortunately most missed this 20 year window of opportunity.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/t2d-progression.1500/

D

debrasue

The realization that for up to 10 years before diagnosis and 10 years after diagnosis we may have excessive insulin secretion in response to carbs and proteins gives us an opportunity to make dietary changes that preserve our beta cells...unfortunately most missed this 20 year window of opportunity.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/t2d-progression.1500/
I totally agree.
And in response to @Bhargavi's question about what to do to return to "normal", no sugar and low carb would certainly seem to be the way forward, as other posters have said.
My only issue is whether or not it actually is possible to "return to normal" or "reverse diabetes" in the long term. As I understood it, you either have a genetic propensity to T2 or you don't, and if you don't you won't develop it, no matter what your diet or lifestyle. If you do, on the other hand, then I understood that the potential to develop T2 would always be there. So dietary and lifestyle changes can certainly reverse the symptoms, but the root cause will still be there, with the potential to return if the diet/lifestyle change lapses.
Or maybe I have it completely wrong...?

VictorVillalobos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I totally agree.
And in response to @Bhargavi's question about what to do to return to "normal", no sugar and low carb would certainly seem to be the way forward, as other posters have said.
My only issue is whether or not it actually is possible to "return to normal" or "reverse diabetes" in the long term. As I understood it, you either have a genetic propensity to T2 or you don't, and if you don't you won't develop it, no matter what your diet or lifestyle. If you do, on the other hand, then I understood that the potential to develop T2 would always be there. So dietary and lifestyle changes can certainly reverse the symptoms, but the root cause will still be there, with the potential to return if the diet/lifestyle change lapses.
Or maybe I have it completely wrong...?

Hi, I can assure you that if you push, you will find the break point for any pancreas and, for the matter, glucose regulation mechanism in the body. Even if you do not have any genes predisposing to diabetes. For example, there are cases of high performance athletes without genetic predisposition that develop diabetes.

Similar thing for remission, given each body, there are several combinations of insulin secretion, insulin sensitivty in muscle and liver, that could make a winning combination to sustain normal leves of glucose. Of course, if instead of 75 grams of glucose -the glucose tolerance test for diabetes diagnosis-, you eat 150 grams, then you will need a lot more capacity.

So, do not lose hope. Thanks to science and to this forum, we know it is possible to reverse it. As far as we do not break the car down again, all is going to be good.