HBA1C results

Maggie75

Hi everyone,

So had bloods done yesterday and got results from GP surgery tel call today, HBA1C 43, down from 66 at diagnosis on Nov 4 2020, glucose was 5.2 (not really sure what that means, wasn't given that the first time round) and cholesterol is 4.9 down from 5.6 at diagnosis. I'm delighted the numbers have come down, I've lost 25 pounds since diagnosis and I'm taking 1 500 mg metformin a day (should have been 2 but didn't like the side effects while taking 2 of them). Would I be correct in thinking HBA1C is now at a pre-diabetic level? Didn't have blood pressure taken although that wasn't too bad to begin with so I'm not too concerned. Have asked for diabetes nurse to give me a call as it was the GP receptionist I spoke to, I know it's certainly going in the right direction but still want to speak to her about medication etc. I've been following a much reduced carb diet but probably still having too many carbs, I suppose my question is are these results likely to keep going down with weight loss, I still have another 3 stone to lose, or should I be looking to reduce carbs a good bit more, currently have cereal a couple of times a week, some wholemeal bread usually on a daily basis and carbs with dinner 5 nights out of 7. Sorry for the long post, just still a bit confused with all this.

Maggie

Reactions: PiersAaron

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
42 is prediabetic. Congratulations, you are definitely going in the right direction. Personally, I would ditch the cereals and bread.

andi2508

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Maggie,
I have similar stats to you and after a horrendous few months I'm ready to tackle it again after letting myself go off the rails spectacularly!
You have done so well, congratulations, what you are doing is definitely working for you. Personally I believe everyone is different and if you can tolerate some carbs and get your HBA1C back in the normal range then great! I would monitor it closely though or add in a bit of exercise on the days you have more carbs. Have you been calorie counting? Do you test your blood?

ontherun

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Maggie! If you're a lover of bread, there are plenty of good recipes out there for low carb to make at home. Made my fist last week and I was well impressed. Waitrose also do a LivLife low cab loaf. I've not tried it though.

Maggie75

Thanks to everyone for your replies, and to answer your question andi, I've definitely cut quite a few calories, at least 4 days a week I only eat twice a day, try and fast as long as possible, usually about 15 hours but that includes while I'm sleeping of course...lol. I do have a glucose monitor but am also quite phobic about needles so have found it difficult with it. I was testing for a few days a couple of weeks ago just to see the effect carbs were having on my bloods and the results were good after a couple of hours so I was happy with that. Hopefully for me the more weight I lose the better the levels will be. Hope you get back on track soon, it's definitely tough going but well worth it. Good luck.

Maggie

PiersAaron

Congratulations!!!!! Fabulous work. As far as future goals, if it were me, I would likely focus on low carbing to continue to lose weight.

Again, job well done.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Great results. I would understand what your goals are. Do you want full remission, are you prepared to maintain with adherence, are you are treats person, if so full sugar or low carb.

It appears that you could get into the 30's for your HbA1c if you were to change cereals maybe for something like chaffles and bacon, or nuts, berries, Greek yogurt and dark chocolate. As a bread alternative I do coconut with cream cheese and psyllium husk flat bread. I decided to go for full remission and now body transformation (to lock in the remission) via power lifting.

Maggie75

I am definitely looking for full remission with this, and I know I need to be prepared to radically change my eating habits to get that. I'm definitely a treats person, still having a fibre one brownie or popcorn bar every day (but it's my only treat), sometimes knowing I can have that at 9pm is all that gets me through the day! Lol. Have really tried to swap crisps for some almonds and dessert is a sugar free jelly. Because I've done the mainstream diets in the past (SW, WW), this has been a steep learning curve for me but I know low carb is the way to go, when I was testing my glucose I could see that from the results although when I was eating carbs they were still ok. Every day is a school day with this, for me anyway. Hoping to get back to exercising next week, I had a lymph node biopsy a couple of weeks ago (benign, thank goodness) and have had to take it really easy, no exercise, but I can hopefully get back on the treadmill again very soon.

Maggie

PiersAaron

My substitutes for sweets include the following: i.) Strawberries with heavy cream, touch of vanilla and stevia; ii.) chocolate mug cake made with almond flour and coconut oil with cake sliced into pieces with heavy cream poured over it; and iii.) 4iz of unsweetened almond milk with 4oz. of heavy cream, touch of vanilla extract and stevia.

I find that the low carb treats described above as "i", "ii" and "iii" really satisfy my occasional craving for something sweet and satisfying. I tried Aldi's keto bars; ok but not as satisfying as the treats described above.

PS "iii" can be converted to hot cocoa by adding 2 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder and a little more stevia (to counteract bitterness of the cocoa powder).

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A good alternative to crisps is cheese crisps.
Take one slice of pre sliced cheese such as gouda or parmesan (cheddar is too runny), about 20-30 grams and cut into triangles or squares
Put them well spaced ona piece of greaseproof paper and cook in the microwave for 90 seconds, or in oven or under grill, until well bubbly.
They will crisp up as they cool.
I find 3 or 4 more than enough, and they keep well in air tight tin
Can add spices and flavourings such as paprika and herbs