HBA1C test, confused

MrAnxious

Hi all,

I am 36 and have health anxiety. My diet has been awful however I am on the road to rectifying that and becoming healthier. Today I looked at my blood test results from October 2020 and saw HBA1C result was 5.4. Whilst there was no further action, I also noticed My HBA1C was 4.8 in 2017! This has led me to wonder if I am either heading in the direction of diabetes or if the HABA1C results can vary and asong as they are in the normal range not to worry? I had a finger prick test before 2017 (2016 I think) and that was 5.4 which is what it is now so that has confused me even more..it's hard to find info for non diabetics who are concerned. I have such bad health anxiety which makes it hard for me to see things logically sometimes. If you are non diabetic, can you work on getting your blood sugar down and should it be easy to do with some hard work (excercise/diet) etc. So sorry if I don't make much sense. The forum seems really welcoming and I thought I'd sign up.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I looked at my blood test results from October 2020 and saw HBA1C result was 5.4. Whilst there was no further action, I also noticed My HBA1C was 4.8 in 2017! This has led me to wonder if I am either heading in the direction of diabetes or if the HABA1C results can vary and asong as they are in the normal range not to worry? I had a finger prick test before 2017 (2016 I think) and that was 5.4 which is what it is now so that has confused me even more.
Both HbA1c levels are perfectly normal but are in different units to the finger prick test (which was also normal)
Sounds like you have nothing to worry about.
The HbA1c was a % unit and the finger prick mmol/litre.
They fluctuate a fair bit depending on diet and stress and sleep quality and many things but you look to be fine.

MrAnxious

Thank you so much. Google is a minefield. There really isn't clear information on the test if you are not in the prediabetic range! With cholesterol it is black and white, the more it goes up the higher it is. I'm glad you made sense of my post

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much. Google is a minefield. There really isn't clear information on the test if you are not in the prediabetic range! With cholesterol it is black and white, the more it goes up the higher it is. I'm glad you made sense of my post

Anything HbA1c wise over 6% is pre diabetes
6.5% is "diabetes" proper according to the medics.
4.8 and 5.4% both pretty average.

Reactions: MrAnxious and ert

TattedNana

Hi there.. sorry to jump on your post ... really hope you don't mind but also new here and not sure where to start etc or where else to ask.. I'm not Diabetic but recently had full mot of bloods done for a number of other problems I'm having which my Dr still hasn't been able to help with and this is the result of my HbA1c test.. I'm very confused by it .. what exactly is my result.. Can someone please clarify for me as its been marked as normal by the Dr but she also marked everything else as normal despite some other things being way outside of the 'normal' ranges.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210405-040248.jpg
    Screenshot_20210405-040248.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 88

TattedNana

Hello and welcome! No need to worry. Your HbA1c is 35, which is absolutely normal. Between 42 and 47 is classed as pre-diabetes. 48 and about is diabetic.
Thank you . I was thinking/hoping that was my result tbh, the bit that confused me so much was the second paragraph ‍. As I'm not accustomed to reading reports like these, I wasn't sure if this part was also referring to me as its not really worded in a way that clearly defines whats what in 'layman's' terms (so to speak).. So was getting slightly confused/concerned as no-one had mentioned anything...

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you . I was thinking/hoping that was my result tbh, the bit that confused me so much was the second paragraph ‍. As I'm not accustomed to reading reports like these, I wasn't sure if this part was also referring to me as its not really worded in a way that clearly defines whats what in 'layman's' terms (so to speak).. So was getting slightly confused/concerned as no-one had mentioned anything...

Many reports will be like that for future reference.

the first is YOU obviously

the second is the ranges where it may be considered an issue.

you'll find it on many of the blood reports NHS wise.

i think it's nice to have a frame of reference, as to whether we are creeping
closer to the danger zone and need to take action now, to reverse engines, so to speak.

If you are ok getting such reports, i often investigate further and click on any links
that explain in more depth what the results mean, etc

Not for everyone, i know, but knowledge is power, as i see it.

Good luck and a nice solid 35 HBA1c...happy days