HbA1c test results today

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I stick to it properly, BG just flatlines in the low to mid fours. However recently a few too many treat like things (nuts, high percentage cocoa chocolate, cream) have crept in so trying to be a bit more consistent: too easy to overeat those things.

Great blood sugar levels, @Goonergal. Do you ever see a small rise if you have a large portion of protein?

I'm mostly in the mid fours myself lately, there are even some days when I stay below five all day. Today, alas, I saw a 6.4 after leaving the GP's practice -- stress seems to affect me more than food.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you see a small rise if you have a large portion of protein?

Not usually if I’m being strictly carnivore. It can happen if I’m adding carbs in the form of veg or nuts, but it usually shows up as a higher FBG. Today for instance over 3 meals I’ve had 151g protein and BG has barely moved - going down gently since an 0.3mmol rise after lunch, even after dinner.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I'm absolutely convinced you'll do brilliantly on your blood test. What was the effect of carnivory on your blood sugar levels?

Haven't really changed much apart from upping exercise a bit and keeping track of carbs and calories on cronometer rather than just guessing. Also lost another two kgs during the last half year.

I suspect, though, that the biggest change has been that my GP now does the HbA1c test in his practice rather than sending it to a lab (before my HbA1c was off by about 6 mmol compared to finger prick testing, since then it has only off by about 2 mmol).
Good point, I will be comparing the 2 different Assays Medichecks use shortly. One aligned with more local hospital (a higher reading) and the other was 3.5 mmol/L lower.