HbA1c Test

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
I was diagnosed in April of this year with Type 2 and a HbA1c of 78, in June it had gone down to. HbA1c 44 and then October 12th a HbA1c 37. Feeling quite acomplished on the diabetic front, just need to sort out my cholesterol, my doctor thinks statins is the only way forward but I am not keen. I have been taking Omega 3-6-9 oil every day for about 3 weeks.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Congratulations on those numbers, well done. Have a read around the forum on Statins, lots of opinions, before you decide on whether to take them.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on your reduction in HbA1c! I’m in a similar situation to you, diagnosed in May with an HbA1c of 70, by Sept I had it down to 36 but my cholesterol numbers have deteriorated :sorry: I have had two reviews at which my GP suggested Statins. I have declined so far for three reasons; I’m frightened of the side effects (some of which it would appear don’t go if you stop them), they raise blood sugars and cholesterol levels become deranged if you loose a lot of weight. Have you lost weight too? I’m going down the Benecol and Flaxseed route. Next review is December, I really don’t want to fall out with my GP so I’m hoping my numbers will be better.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done on your reduction in HbA1c! I’m in a similar situation to you, diagnosed in May with an HbA1c of 70, by Sept I had it down to 36 but my cholesterol numbers have deteriorated :sorry: I have had two reviews at which my GP suggested Statins. I have declined so far for three reasons; I’m frightened of the side effects (some of which it would appear don’t go if you stop them), they raise blood sugars and cholesterol levels become deranged if you loose a lot of weight. Have you lost weight too? I’m going down the Benecol and Flaxseed route. Next review is December, I really don’t want to fall out with my GP so I’m hoping my numbers will be better.

Benecol is very nice but not cheap. In the Kendrick book I'm reading at the moment the Dr.likens it to the food manufacturers way of just cashing in on the fear of cholesterol. Another reason I stick with butter is that tbh these days I'm eating very little bread at all, even the Burgen or Lidl rolls.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Benecol is very nice but not cheap. In the Kendrick book I'm reading at the moment the Dr.likens it to the food manufacturers way of just cashing in on the fear of cholesterol. Another reason I stick with butter is that tbh these days I'm eating very little bread at all, even the Burgen or Lidl rolls.
I’m drinking the Benecol drinks, even if they don’t work I enjoy them. I’m continuing to use butter too, like you I’m having very little bread these days, maybe 1/2 a Lidl roll a week if that.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Hi Rachox I have lost a stone, so now down to 9 stone, don't want to lose anymore. I have Benecol, what do you put your flaxseed in? Also taking Omega 3-6-9 oil (3 a day)

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

I have Benecol but eat very little bread but do like the dark rye Rivita.

Reactions: Guzzler

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Benecol but eat very little bread but do like the dark rye Rivita.

Hammer - Several people on the forum have found that during a period of weight loss their cholesterol levels go up a bit, then they settle. It is also important to consider the breakdown of your cholesterol, and their rations. One of the usually reliable sites is here, to give you an indication of the breakdowns: http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

I must admit, I'm one of these people whose total cholesterol is an inconveniently large number, but my breakdowns are excellent. In relatively recent times, my Doctor has gone from being a bit concerned about the total, but she no longer is.

Nice reduction in your HbA1c. Well done.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rachox I have lost a stone, so now down to 9 stone, don't want to lose anymore. I have Benecol, what do you put your flaxseed in? Also taking Omega 3-6-9 oil (3 a day)
I just started Flaxseed this week. So far I’ve sprinkled it in yoghurt, but didn’t like that much. I prefer to sprinkle it in soup or on salads.

Reactions: Hammer1964

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Other dietary adjustments that you could try (if you want to avoid statins) to help reduce cholesterol are...
add more garlic, try psyllium husks and dress salad with flaxseed oil. Drink green tea, take ACV or Aloe Vera juice. Add blueberries to your yoghurt.

Magnesium is a natural statin and is found in almonds, walnuts and pecans so you could try adding some of those to your diet as well :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I am wondering why you are taking this supplement. Omega 3 is good, but we need to eat less omega 6 as this is inflammatory. Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory. We need a good ratio of the 2 omegas for the greatest benefit. A ratio of 1:1 is perfect although difficult to achieve because omega 6 is in most foods we eat, whereas omega 3 isn't.

http://www.srnutrition.co.uk/2014/02/the-new-fat-problem-omega-6-fatty-acids

As for flaxseed (ground/milled) I sprinkle it on my food much as you would do with salt and pepper, but more generously. It is also good mixed and mashed in with full fat yogurts, or added to homemade soups and stews. It is high in omega 3.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am wondering why you are taking this supplement. Omega 3 is good, but we need to eat less omega 6 as this is inflammatory. Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory. We need a good ratio of the 2 omegas for the greatest benefit. A ratio of 1:1 is perfect although difficult to achieve because omega 6 is in most foods we eat, whereas omega 3 isn't.

As for flaxseed (ground/milled) I sprinkle it on my food much as you would do with salt and pepper, but more generously. It is also good mixed and mashed in with full fat yogurts, or added to homemade soups and stews. It is high in omega 3.

Hi Bluetit on the Omega 3-6-9 tub it says take to maintain a healthy cholesterol balance.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

And a main ingredient in Lidl High Protein rolls.