Hba1c- to fast or not to fast?

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am due to have a Hba1c test this week. I usually book them in so that they are first thing, before work- so generally it is before breakfast and nearly 12 hours since my last meal.

This time round it is late morning (in my lunch break). Do I not have breakfast that morning?

Will eating/fasting before have an impact on my results?

I have not been asked to fast by the GP.

Reactions: Freema

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c is an "average" of your blood sugar levels for the past 2-3months (depending on how fast your blood cells renew themselves). It won't be impacted by fasting or not. Hence no fasting instructions from the doc.
However if you are having a cholesterol test at the same time then it would be a better idea to fast for that one otherwise the results will be even more meaningless than they usually are.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am due to have a Hba1c test this week. I usually book them in so that they are first thing, before work- so generally it is before breakfast and nearly 12 hours since my last meal.

This time round it is late morning (in my lunch break). Do I not have breakfast that morning?

Will eating/fasting before have an impact on my results?

I have not been asked to fast by the GP.
You don’t need to fast for an HbA1c as it’s the average of the last 3 months, so what you’ve eaten directly before has no impact on the result. However I usually have cholesterol tested at the same time and a meal beforehand can raise the triglyceride levels so I always get an early appt and fast for it.

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HbA1c is an "average" of your blood sugar levels for the past 2-3months (depending on how fast your blood cells renew themselves). It won't be impacted by fasting or not. Hence no fasting instructions from the doc.
However if you are having a cholesterol test at the same time then it would be a better idea to fast for that one otherwise the results will be even more meaningless than they usually are.

I don’t have my blood forms (as I collect them on my appointment day) but I am certain I will be having my cholesterol checked as I am “due” all my tests.

My last Hba1c was just over a month ago.. should I expect to see much change? My control in the last month has been improved massively.

Been advised to have regular/monthly Hba1c tests as I am wanting to conceive- but need to lower my hba1c first.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t have my blood forms (as I collect them on my appointment day) but I am certain I will be having my cholesterol checked as I am “due” all my tests.

My last Hba1c was just over a month ago.. should I expect to see much change? My control in the last month has been improved massively.

Been advised to have regular/monthly Hba1c tests as I am wanting to conceive- but need to lower my hba1c first.
I'm a male Type 2 so not sure I'm in a position to answer your specific questions. I would imagine that if your control has been much improved then the HbA1c should have gone down a bit. Cholesterol tests should really be fasted if you want to get any useful info from them but you would need a full lipid panel. I'm not going to give any advice about what to do when fasting on insulin cos I have zero experience sorry.

Reactions: CranberryIce

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a male Type 2 so not sure I'm in a position to answer your specific questions. I would imagine that if your control has been much improved then the HbA1c should have gone down a bit. Cholesterol tests should really be fasted if you want to get any useful info from them but you would need a full lipid panel. I'm not going to give any advice about what to do when fasting on insulin cos I have zero experience sorry.

Thank you. I am going to try and move my appointment to an early morning one just to make sure I have accurate results from the cholesterol test. :)

As long as it is lower than the last result...!

Reactions: Rachox

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I am going to try and move my appointment to an early morning one just to make sure I have accurate results from the cholesterol test. :)

As long as it is lower than the last result...!
If the Doctor didn't say fast and you ARE having a cholesterol test at the same time, maybe double check that the form says 'fasted' and not 'random'.
I was asked by the doctor recently to repeat a blood test because he thought I hadn't fasted. The form was from the DN. So a pointless waste of time money and effort by all concerned.
Good luck.

Reactions: CranberryIce

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the Doctor didn't say fast and you ARE having a cholesterol test at the same time, maybe double check that the form says 'fasted' and not 'random'.
I was asked by the doctor recently to repeat a blood test because he thought I hadn't fasted. The form was from the DN. So a pointless waste of time money and effort by all concerned.
Good luck.

I have had my cholesterol tested many times but never been asked to fast... hmm.

Will double check before my test.

Reactions: Freema

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I had an HbA1c done in March and another in April (the nurse taking the sample asked if I’d like her to add it to the non diabetes tests I was there for, so I thought why not!). March was 50; April’s was 43 - I’d hoped for a good drop. The March test covered two months of Libre & low carb with a month of, well, Christmas. The April one was all Libre and low carb!

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had an HbA1c done in March and another in April (the nurse taking the sample asked if I’d like her to add it to the non diabetes tests I was there for, so I thought why not!). March was 50; April’s was 43 - I’d hoped for a good drop. The March test covered two months of Libre & low carb with a month of, well, Christmas. The April one was all Libre and low carb!

Well done- thats a nice drop :)

Will be interesting to see where mine is at, as this will be my first Hba1c since getting the Libre (almost a month).

Reactions: LooperCat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is 50 and 43. My readings are as follows.... 5.7 or 6.1 or 7.4 I'm a bit confused

They are the newer way of measuring the HbA1c. Yours are the old way (in the UK) There is a converter on the main website. I can't give you a link as I'm away from home using an ancient phone.