bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
Hi everyone
just wondered what is the highest HBA1C reading that you can get? The numbers confuse me and since the pandemic i can’t seem to get mine down

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone
just wondered what is the highest HBA1C reading that you can get? The numbers confuse me and since the pandemic i can’t seem to get mine down
No idea. The highest I can find in charts is 140, but that'd mean a continuous 20+ Bg, and I think that might mean having maple syrup in the veins rather than blood... :angelic:

What numbers are you seeing? Keep in mind that in a pandemic we have a few things to deal with: stress, grief, possible changed eating patterns, a covid infection etc... All of which can affect blood sugar levels. What are you currently doing to get your numbers down?

Reactions: theeevilcow

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
hi my hba1c has been between 60 and 88, i was tested this week and it’s 88 now. Ive recently lost my dad ( to diabetic complications) so it’s going to be high but rather than decreasing with increased medication it’s increasing and it’s really beginning to annoy me.
im on 3 lots of medication for my diabetes i go to the gym i’ve given up drinking and smoking and nothing is helping
although i have been drinking a lot of diet drinks, not sure if that might be making my numbers worse ‍♀️
im also on other medication and wondering if that’s not helping ‍♀️♀️♀️

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi my hba1c has been between 60 and 88, i was tested this week and it’s 88 now. Ive recently lost my dad ( to diabetic complications) so it’s going to be high but rather than decreasing with increased medication it’s increasing and it’s really beginning to annoy me.
im on 3 lots of medication for my diabetes i go to the gym i’ve given up drinking and smoking and nothing is helping
although i have been drinking a lot of diet drinks, not sure if that might be making my numbers worse ‍♀️
im also on other medication and wondering if that’s not helping ‍♀️♀️♀️
First off, I am so sorry for your loss. And, yeah... Grief'll throw a wrench in, and if it was due to diabetic complications, I can see there'd also be a part worry in there as well. Not likely to kick up your HbA1c that much though, but it certainly won't have helped.

You mention the measures you've taken, but I'm missing a rather massive one. What's your diet like, what are you eating? Diet drinks CAN spike blood sugars, so that might be a problem after all. Some are fine drinking them, some aren't. You may be in the aren't category.

As for diet, and sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, almost all carbs turn to glucose once ingested. So that's not just sugars, but starches too. Bread, rice, pasta, cereal, corn, potatoes... They can be more than a little problematic. If you cut those out, stick with meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheeses and the like, above ground veggies, leafy greens, olives, that sort of thing, you'd likely fare a lot better. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help a little. Though, I don't know what meds you're on, you would maybe have to be very careful of hypo's, so do test plenty.

You can do this. You will do this. Your signature is right. Just have to find the right method for you.
Hugs,
Jo

bexter75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Television
First off, I am so sorry for your loss. And, yeah... Grief'll throw a wrench in, and if it was due to diabetic complications, I can see there'd also be a part worry in there as well. Not likely to kick up your HbA1c that much though, but it certainly won't have helped.

You mention the measures you've taken, but I'm missing a rather massive one. What's your diet like, what are you eating? Diet drinks CAN spike blood sugars, so that might be a problem after all. Some are fine drinking them, some aren't. You may be in the aren't category.

As for diet, and sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, almost all carbs turn to glucose once ingested. So that's not just sugars, but starches too. Bread, rice, pasta, cereal, corn, potatoes... They can be more than a little problematic. If you cut those out, stick with meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheeses and the like, above ground veggies, leafy greens, olives, that sort of thing, you'd likely fare a lot better. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help a little. Though, I don't know what meds you're on, you would maybe have to be very careful of hypo's, so do test plenty.

You can do this. You will do this. Your signature is right. Just have to find the right method for you.
Hugs,
Jo

thankyou so much

• Friendly
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As JoKalsbeek said, the best way to bring numbers down is to drop carbs,
Comfort eating can be a problem with this, but I sat down and thought about the triggers and the foods I craved and found substitutes for almost all of them. By doing this I managed to drop my carbs to the level my body could tolerate.
There are loads of suggestions, and recipes, to help.