Hba1c

lilibet

Hi all

Diagnosed 12th September (feels like a loooooooooong time ago).
Not sure if hba1c was taken on day of diagnosis - Friday night in A and E in busy hospital. Know blood was taken to check for DKA/keytones but not sure if hba1c was taken.

Have been mainly seeing DSN but due to have 'new patient' appt next week with Consultant/eye test etc and apparently Hba1c to be taken. My understanding is that this tends to be 3 months/90 days and Im unsure why they are taking it in less time. Can only think that

a) this is the first (in which case likely to be skewed as bs 27 on dx)
b) their continual comments re my control being too tight has motivated them to do it early (dont know if they think im lying about lack of hypos. Certainly felt hypo but only 'medically' hypo 1x)

Or of course they may just bed doing it cause I am there LOL

Any thoughts?

L

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Lillibet

It may well be that they did do an HBA1C when you were admitted at the hospital. I was admitted in April and then had my first consultant appt in June when they did it again and it fell from 12.9 to 7.7. I am assuming they want to see how yours is now that you are controlling it like they did with me as they will have changed.

They will probably do several other blood tests along with it like cholesterol, kidney function. I have started a spreadsheet with my results (yes I am that sad :wink: ) as I want to be aware of what they all mean eventually and so I can see if any changes are happening myself.
I had to ask what my one was on admittance, as I didn't know what was happening at the time and had never heard of HBA1C . It might be worth asking when you see the consultant what your bloods were in September so you have a starting point so to speak.

hth

Louise

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Hi,

If no blood was taken when you were diagnosed then they didnt do an HbA1c test. They usually take a test tube full of blood for the HbA1c so you would have known about that.

I didn't have an HbA1c for a month or so after diagnoses either, and on diagnosis my sugar levels were higher than 33.3, that's all i know because the meter just read 'HI'.

For the most part my levels after they had come down in hospital over 3 days were in the 7's and 8's. and my first HbA1c was 7.2.

Dont expect your first HbA1c to be great... no one will knock you for it if it isn't... if it is great then that's fantastic, all im saying is don't beat yourself up over it if it's not as good as you want the first time, it takes time after diagnosis for it to be good.

My second was 6.0!

Good Luck

rottweilsteve

Dislikes
incorrect punctuation (see above), Otherwise dishonesty, discrimination, prejudicial behaviour. and general nastiness.
TROUBR said:
Hi Lillibet

I have started a spreadsheet with my results (yes I am that sad :wink: ) as I want to be aware of what they all mean eventually and so I can see if any changes are happening myself.

Louise,

that's not sad, it makes perfect sense. Inasmuch as a spreadsheet can make sense - my BG spreadsheet is my first venture into the scary world of spreadsheets. Whenever I have a diabetes related appointment, I just take along print-outs of the past couple of months and have always received the reaction "wow, this makes things easier..."

Steve

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
rottweilsteve said:
TROUBR said:
Hi Lillibet

I have started a spreadsheet with my results (yes I am that sad :wink: ) as I want to be aware of what they all mean eventually and so I can see if any changes are happening myself.

Louise,

that's not sad, it makes perfect sense. Inasmuch as a spreadsheet can make sense - my BG spreadsheet is my first venture into the scary world of spreadsheets. Whenever I have a diabetes related appointment, I just take along print-outs of the past couple of months and have always received the reaction "wow, this makes things easier..."

Steve

Glad I am not alone. But I am afraid to confess my spreadsheet adiction spreads far and wide - I have one for most things, xmas shopping (going back 5 years so I don't double up on previously bought presents) including a card list that I edit yearly, holiday packing lists, as well as the more normal bank / budget types and monthly BG ones (which now included daily bgs, # of carbs per meal, units and correction doses) I think I may have a problem! :wink:

Louise

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
TROUBR said:
Glad I am not alone. But I am afraid to confess my spreadsheet adiction spreads far and wide - I have one for most things, xmas shopping (going back 5 years so I don't double up on previously bought presents) including a card list that I edit yearly, holiday packing lists, as well as the more normal bank / budget types and monthly BG ones (which now included daily bgs, # of carbs per meal, units and correction doses) I think I may have a problem! :wink:

Louise

Hi Louise,
I always thought that I was a bit of a spreadsheet addict, but I have to admit that you take first prize!!