HBA1c

annepgill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance,racism
Hi everyone I got my hba1c yesterday they said it was 78 can someone help I don't know the percentages if it's good or bad thank you

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It works out to 9.3%

Is this your first one done? It is high result depending on what treatment your on people aim for 7% if on insulin and lower is diet or tablet medication.

It can take a while to get lower results.

annepgill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance,racism
Thanks it's my third one being put on insulin Monday morning they just said it was high no real info I appreciate you letting me know :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I THOUGHT I didn't understand.

My last hbAIc was 71. I tried to work out what that meant by looking at the Diabetes uk website and was emailed the result 11.2 mmol/L. That doesn't seem to tally with 78 equalling 9.3. I'd be grateful if someone could explain. Maths is not a strong point! :oops:

annepgill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance,racism
Thanks the chart is brilliant :) no one has taken the time to fully explain quite a few things to me this site has done more than any doctor x

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My last hbAIc was 71. I tried to work out what that meant by looking at the Diabetes uk website and was emailed the result 11.2 mmol/L. That doesn't seem to tally with 78 equalling 9.3. I'd be grateful if someone could explain. Maths is not a strong point!
HbA1c used to be measured in DCCT units and given perents, e.g. 9.3%. Recently, this was changed and all BG are now to be reported in IFCC units, e.g. 71 mmol/mol. These are equivalent units

The tool on diabetes.co.uk "helpfully" lists another figure which is the average blood glucose level you'd expect to find in someone with with your HbA1c (e.g. If your HbA1c was 71 mmol/mol then you'd expect your average BG to be around 11.2 mmol/l). These units are not equivalent - it's a regression estimate.
I don't think that you'd ever need to know this last figure unless you wanted to predict your HbA1c based on your meter average or something along those lines.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks for the useful chart and for the clear explanation about measuring bs. Really helpful and will be put to good use, thanks guys.