Health Concerns

Steve1951

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone, my names Steve and I was diagnosed stage 2 about last April. This is my first time on the forum so it is completely new to me so I sincerely apologise if I offend anyone ( Because with my mental health issues people usually take what I say offensively when I’m actually joking ) or I o something wrong.

I’m 72 at Christmas and I live in Suffolk in England

I lost my wife on the 6th May 2019 and live in a 1 bed bungalow all on my own so I would love to make some regular friends on here, messenger, Facebook or WhatsApp so that I can learn things and get to know people in the same position as myself.

My doctor wants me to change my diet first before starting me on meds as I’m already on a lot of meds and he doesn’t want to add anymore if he can. If you want to know more about me then please feel free to ask and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can?

Last Friday I was stood at the sink preparing the food for my evening meal when I became very anxious and my whole body was shaking and I was completely scared as it had never happened before. I made an appointment to see a doctor on Saturday afternoon emergency session but Saturday morning I was as 100% as I could be so I cancelled the appointment. Anyway after I made the appointment I ate 2 bars of chocolate and within 2-3 hours I felt Ok. Can anyone explain if it was the chocolate that started me feeling better because of my diabetes or something else. All I had to eat that day was a bowl of cereal for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch and the cooked meal in the evening. If it was a diabetic attack what can I do in the future to prevent it from happening again?

Thank you everyone and I hope someone comes up with something that I can adapt too cuz I love all the naughty things including biscuits, chocolate and ice cream.

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @Steve1951 and welcome to the forum.
I think you mean that you were diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. It isn't a 'stage': Type 1 diabetes is an auto immune condition where the insulin producing cells have been damaged - so is a condition of low insulin. Type 2 is mainly insulin resistance - it is being produced, sometimes in large quantities, but not able to do its job properly until there is much more than normal because the body resists it. Thus it's mainly a condition of high insulin. The various Type 3 subtypes denote different causes for damage to the insulin producing cells - just not including being attacked by the immune system.

I get the feeling that your doctor has told you very little about your diabetes or about how what you eat affects it. I'm puzzled by your description of your 'diabetic attack' because if 2 chocolate bars improved it, then it sounds more likely to have been caused by low blood glucose (hypoglycaemia) than by high blood glucose (hyperglycaemia). And may be caused by another condition such as reactive hypoglycaemia.

Here is a blog entry which covers most of what you need to know about Type 2 diabetes: