Healthy Fat, or not?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Is ghee ok to use? Lot cheaper than butter for frying.

Reactions: Applenerd81

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As far as I know ghee is clarified butter but as always check all the info on the pack.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
ghee is clarified butter
It is, and it's easy to make at home, but not worth it if it's cheaper than butter. Melt unsalted butter very slowly and strain it using a piece of cloth or some coffee filters. That's it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It is, and it's easy to make at home, but not worth it if it's cheaper than butter. Melt unsalted butter very slowly and strain it using a piece of cloth or some coffee filters. That's it.

Thank you. I use butter or lard, lard I should imagine is cheaper than ghee?

Reactions: Ponchu and briped

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Lard probably is cheaper than ghee, but I have not ompletely embraced the high fat lifestlye yet.
Butter >£6 per kg ghee £4 per kg

The Price referred to above turned out to be for a PALM OIL butter flavoured substitute for butter ghee.

edited to add information

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51
M

Member496333

Ghee is fine. Personally I favour butter and duck fat, with coconut oil being used for spicy, oriental style dishes.

Reactions: Ponchu

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thank you. I use butter or lard, lard I should imagine is cheaper than ghee?
My guess is that it probably is, but I haven't ever used it myself.

Reactions: Guzzler

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like ghee because it doesn't burn or spit like butter, if you have a slow cooker very very easy to make - I put four blocks in my slow cooker on low for 6 hours DONT STIR! skim the top taking all the scum off. Switch cooker off and let the butter go completely cold and set - remove from dish and cut all the bits off the bottom, store in jars in the fridge - keeps well and can be heated to higher temp than butter

Reactions: Dmcc0

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I like ghee because it doesn't burn or spit like butter, if you have a slow cooker very very easy to make - I put four blocks in my slow cooker on low for 6 hours DONT STIR! skim the top taking all the scum off. Switch cooker off and let the butter go completely cold and set - remove from dish and cut all the bits off the bottom, store in jars in the fridge - keeps well and can be heated to higher temp than butter
Sounds even easier than my method, but I simply don't have room for any more kitchen gadgets, so I try to remember to buy it whenever I come across an Indian grocery. Last time I forgot :shifty:
That's why I like using it too. It keeps forever because all the impurities have been removed, and yes, you can cook with very high temps for the same reason. No wonder it's sometimes used in religious ceremonies in India.

Reactions: lovinglife

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
We use a lot of ghee and get it fairly cheaply from an ethnic supermarket in Sheffield.

Mr C's fats of choice for cooking are dripping and goose fat.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ghee is fine. Personally I favour butter and duck fat, with coconut oil being used for spicy, oriental style dishes.
hi Jim, do use butter, although it tends to spit a bit, also cold pressed rapeseed oil for frying, olive oil for dressings etc. Have just started using coconut oil, planned a stir fry tonight, thanks for the tip.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Lard probably is cheaper than ghee, but I have not ompletely embraced the high fat lifestlye yet.

Last time I looked lard has roughly half the sat fat as butter (if it is sat fat is concerning you). I'm depending on memory here so do check it out.

Reactions: Serena51

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you don't want or choose to use lard, there's no obligation to do so - or any other LCHF food you don't fancy. for that matter. However, if you think of so called high fat as normal fat which is simply higher than reduced/low/lite fat products then that might make it easier to accept.

(There's no sense IMO in taking a naturally fatty food, removing its nutritious fat content and then replacing this with various carby alternatives to make it palatable again...:banghead:

Rant over...)

Robbity

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Last time I looked lard has roughly half the sat fat as butter (if it is sat fat is concerning you). I'm depending on memory here so do check it out.
Sat fat is a concern, but cost as well.

Reactions: Guzzler

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Where do you get ghee for £4 per kilo?
Asda
Sadly this is not butter ghee, it is PALM OIL sold under the name of Better Ghee

Edited to give more information

Last edited:
Reactions: Applenerd81

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sat fat is a concern, but cost as well.
we will shortly be living on one pension between two people, so simply cannot afford to be eating half a pack of cheese/nuts/ham as a snack, or dousing everything in cream. Esp as even this has failed to halt the weight loss.