Healthy Fat, or not?

D

Deleted member 308541

Hold on Sport, what’s the exchange rate right now? :D
Down the gurgler, my British pension is $1.00 = £00.55 , the other way that works out to £1.00 = $1.83.

The Aus dollar has fallen against major currency's owing to the Chinese having a shot at Australia, by banning some Australian coal imports into China.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what do you eat instead of meats. Either leaner or fattier?

The some answer is, a decently variety. We very much enjoy things like belly pork, and chicken thighs. Our butcher (the only place we buy meat, apart from chicken as he doesn't do much of it), knows , and points out joints of beef with good Marcelinho and outer fat still attached, and will point out particularly nice, for us, cuts generally. As he gets the fat = flavour, and not being afraid of it, he looks after us well.

We do have chicken breast, chicken breast and so on; just not every day.

We just don't feel the need for lots of mystery ingredients when old styleeeeee cooking can work. That we don't tend to favour sweet tastes is likely in out favour.

D

Deleted member 308541

Our butcher (the only place we buy meat, apart from chicken as he doesn't do much of it), knows , and points out joints of beef with good Marcelinho and outer fat still attached, and will point out particularly nice, for us, cuts generally.
I thought Marcelinho was / is a football player, I think the word you are looking for is "marbling" this is what It was called it my thirty years in the meat industry.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought Marcelinho was / is a football player, I think the word you are looking for is "marbling" this is what It was called it my thirty years in the meat industry.
Auto-correct has a lot to answer for

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I just googled Marcelinho too. :D

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
QUOTE="Guzzler, post: 1993468, member: 408573"]What price health?[/QUOTE]
I am sure people want to do that but that does not make it easier for those who literally have a very low budget for food. Many these days diabetic or not have to go to food banks where the food is not low carb and no fresh stuff

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That kind of sums up our situation. I still think it costs more but have to concede that I haven’t costed it out so it might be my perception only. I also believe I don’t eat as much as I did, so maybe that is how it balances out.

Yes, and there are food products we no longer buy such as crisps, cakes, biscuits, bags of sugar, sweets, take-aways, ready meals, and so forth. So there are some savings to offset.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
we will shortly be living on one pension between two people, so simply cannot afford to be eating half a pack of cheese/nuts/ham as a snack, or dousing everything in cream. Esp as even this has failed to halt the weight loss.
I thought those foods listed helped us to lose weight, not gain?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I thought those foods listed helped us to lose weight, not gain?
They are calorie dense foods. I am having difficulty getting enough calories.
If you need to lose weight, they are very filling, so lessen the tendency to snack.
Also they dont spike BG so reduce the hunger that way as well.

Last edited:

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, and there are food products we no longer buy such as crisps, cakes, biscuits, bags of sugar, sweets, take-aways, ready meals, and so forth. So there are some savings to offset.
This is true, along with Potatoes of any kind, Rice Pasta Couscous and other grains. Pulses, jams, other fruits apart from Berries.The list is endless of what we cannot eat and do not buy now

Reactions: Bluetit1802

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I probably would have.. and probably told the mother she was talking c**p as well.. but I'm like that...
You would have been stepping into the pit of snakes if you did that. Don't mess with Mama bear. He he

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
stil
This is true, along with Potatoes of any kind, Rice Pasta Couscous and other grains. Pulses, jams, other fruits apart from Berries.The list is endless of what we cannot eat and do not buy now
l am buying and eating some fruit in small amounts, also nearly everything you mention is still eaten by Mr Slim, so not a lot of saving going on there.
Crisps etc and sweets have been almost entirely off the menu for several years. Cakes and puddings were an occasional treat. Never ate many takeaways, but ready meals, yes reduction in those.
It seems as if I have stopped, or reduced consumption of all the cheapest elements in our diet.
Potatoes, bread, rice, pasta and biscuits are all cheap. In monetry terms at least.

Reactions: derry60

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Because we have been lied to thanks to that Ancel Keys fella...
My dad told me years ago when the hype of low fat was best, that he used to give me a pork chop as a baby in my high chair with loads of fat on, My father continued to eat fat until he died. He never had Heart Disease but had a Tumour on the spine. The doctor told me that this was due to smoking for years. So the fat did him no harm. If he had not smoked he would of lived past 74

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
stil

It seems as if I have stopped, or reduced consumption of all the cheapest elements in our diet.
Potatoes, bread, rice, pasta and biscuits are all cheap. In monetry terms at least.

Agreed there.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
QUOTE="Guzzler, post: 1993468, member: 408573"]What price health?
I am sure people want to do that but that does not make it easier for those who literally have a very low budget for food. Many these days diabetic or not have to go to food banks where the food is not low carb and no fresh stuff[/QUOTE]

I am sure that there must be people out there in that kind of position, having to survive on foodstuffs that they would rather not eat but given the choice and the knowledge, of course, they would eschew the foodbanks for fresh, healthier fare. We are not always in command of our choices but when we are we should do our best, no?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I find my food budget hasn't changed much at all. If anything it's gone down a bit.

I rarely use expensive unusual ingredients apart from chia seeds which I use go make a cheap and easy dessert. I don't bake low carb cakes but then I rarely baked normal cakes. I don't use much cream either - probably a small carton once every couple of weeks. The things I buy more of are cheeses and nuts.

I've found there's a lot of things I no longer need to buy and the savings on those more than balances out the additional things I do buy that I didn't before. Once a month I shop around for stuff like olive oil, coconut oil, toiletries, etc, and tend to bulk buy when I find a bargain. Try shops like Home Bargains, B&M, Jack Fultons (good for fish), Lidl, Iceland and Aldi.

In my house we tend to eat the same things as each other but with Mr C having a helping of some kind of carb on his plate as well.

I work to a tight budget so I make a weekly menu making sure to have mainly inexpensive healthy meals in the week and slightly more expensive healthy meals at the weekends, then I make a shopping list from that menu and either order it on-line from Asda for delivery or get the bulk of it from Aldi.