1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Heart attack

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by bazza1966, Feb 9, 2019.

1. bazza1966

bazza1966 Type 1 · Member

Hi, I have had T1 for 41 years and had a severe heart attack last weekend. I have noticed that my blood test results rise as the day goes on despite me managing the high with extra insulin. I am curious if anyone else has experienced this. I don’t know if it’s due to additional pills for my heart or the body is still fitting the stress of the heart attack and stents. I am on 4 injections a day 3 doses of Humalog and one of Lantus. Thanks Barry

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

sorry to hear that @bazza1966

type 2 here, so can offer little in the way of help.
    just wanted you to know someone had read the post and to hang on in there.

others with more skills will be along soon i'm sure to offer their expertise and viewpoints.

Good luck fella.

3. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Barry,

Sorry you haven’t had any responses from people who can compare experiences.
    Hopefully someone will be along soon who can compare notes.

Have any of your hospital health team been able to offer any suggestions? I can’t believe you are the first T1 heart attack patient they have seen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bazza1966

Thanks

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. bazza1966

The staff both cardiac and diabetic have been great, but as we all know nothing beats experience

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Hi @bazza1966 - Sorry you've been through the wars.

Like others, I have no personal experiences to offer you, but hopefully, if we can keep your post towards to tops of the Recent Posts pages, a fellow travellor will post before too long.

In reality, it's only a few days since a major life/health event, so it could be reasonable to think your body is still recovering from all those stresses, but that's just a feeling, and not based on experience or learning.

Stay close to your medical team and don't take any chances. I do hope you're feeling better soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Barry

It sounds like you might need to review your Lantus dose if it seems like your levels are constantly rising between boluses. I had a heart bypass in 2013 and it put my basal needs out of whack for a week or two. Probably just the body dealing with stress. Worth bringing up with your doctor.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi @bazza1966 , how are you feeling now, it must of been a very scary experience for you ?
    I used to work for a charity called Cardiac Rehab and the volunteer's had heart conditions, I loved the job and working with them. I hope things will get better for you, take care.

9. bazza1966

Many thanks, I am actually feeling really good. Bloods still a bit high, however seems to be getting back to normal. All the rehab staff and diabetic team have been great and exercise increasing daily. Hope to be back to full fitness by the end of the month

• Winner Winner x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook