Heart attack

Jackthehat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Awaiting stents but hospital have stopped my diabetic meds as the clash with angiography dyes.

Now bt is from 6.3 to 17 through the day

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery (and halfway decent hospital food!).

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my stent fitted before they diagnosed my T2 but after my STEMI. Apparently I was lucky to make it, I was 99% blocked:woot:. That was five years ago and now I am bouncing around like Tigger. Hang in there and let the furry physiotherapist in your avatar guide your recovery.
They are going to push the Eatwell plate afterwards like no tomorrow, don't be fooled, low carb remains the best option from my own experience.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Now bt is from 6.3 to 17 through the day

I suppose it's too much to hope that they either
1) provide low carb hospital food
2) put you on some temporary insulin so as to normalise those sugars.

Good luck, hope you feel much better soon.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Good luck for the procedure, hope you feel better very soon.
Take care

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jackthehat - you've seen in the wars!

Are you at home now, doing your waiting, or still in dry dock?

What were your blood score like before your heart attack? Have you spoken to the medical team about replacement meds for a while? That could be helpful in terms of your recovery period.

In the meantime, try to eat well and keep the fluids up. The higher blood score won't be helping you feel great, although it is often reported the numbers can go a bit scatty after such a trauma.

I hope you have a swift recovery.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Jackthehat

@Oldvatr had a very similar situation to yours. I hope he will come along and tell you about it.
Yup I had a similar event. Still there waiting triple bypass surgery. My meds were all stopped too, and I was force fed Hospital food by the nurses for a while. My BGL in A&E was through the roof because I was in panic. The adrenelin was full on, and this stopped my insulin from storing any away, meanwhile my insulin resistance also stopped me using the glucose for flight or fight, so I had to calm down and practice yoga to start things off. Then I had an angiogram and the dye stopped my kidneys from working, so I could not even pee the glucose out. To cut to the quick, my body has recovered, but I need re-plumbing.

They purt me on a diuretic, and I lost a lot of weight. I was trying to be a good boy and eating boring salads, and they still witheld my meds (Metformin , Gliclazide). My bgl dropped onto the 10-30 mmol/l range, so still too high, so they restarted the Glic first. With this I was able to get some very good morning fasting levels, so they stopped the Glic. However, even on standard hospital fare my bgl continued to fall into line, and even when I started eating potato, rice, and pasta and puddings they did not go above 13. Then they started the Metformin again, and I had a birthday party with loads of forbidden goodies, such as danish pastries etc. Again I was surprised at the bgl results after which were not bad at all.

Then when I asked for my Glic to be started again it was refused on the grounds that it was "contraindicated with Heart Failure" I googled this and found nothing, my ward doctor googled it and came up with the same reports I did and we both queried the consultant. I met him in the hospital cafe and buttonholed him. Seems the reason he refused was because I do not need it. It was not contraindicated at all, and is in fact mildly protective so he was happy for me to go ask GP in future if I ever feel I need it again.

So for me my MI event has a silver lining. I am now classed by doc as bein in remission and only using Metformin for the cardiovascular protection. The main glucose test I am interested in while in hospital is the morning fasting one, which is now usually around 5.6 and repeatable. My evening ones are higher than I would like at home, but acceptable at less than 12 even on naughty boy days when I have a pudding. What are your morning readings?

Hospital food is making me fat again - up 2 kilo this week, and constipated to boot. Obviously recharging my liver with the reduced IR allowing more muscle storage too. Will start restricting myself again, but hospital asks me to avoid losing weight before my op, so bit of a dilemma there. However, if I can stabilise at 64kg then it should suit all of us.

My waiting time is approx 2-3 months, and I am not being discharged since outpatient appts are almost a year in our area. Just annoyed that my son gets married this month. and I am unable to attend. I also lose all my disability allowances and will have to reapply when discharged.

I was unable to claim remission while on LCHF type diet since I was using Glic to control. But stopping my meds, and the weight loss, has shown me I can claim that subtitle and I can now agree. I am not cured, and I suspect if I put on the weight again, it will make me carb intolerant again.

Last edited:

Jackthehat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Home now...

1 stent under heart (?) in a narrowed artery after consultant spoke to his boss or id have had none, the proper clot is due an Mri scan later in the year, if the heart isnt dead (he said some blood had been going in) they will do that.

that old clot, i had an angiogram at Good Hope Sutton Coldfield 10 years ago but no stent as.....the consultant there was late back off holiday....

back on metformin tomorrow

then got to tackle my taxi licensing to see if i keep my badge, they require a Group 2 medical pass (truck/bus) though a doctors certificate can override it....

Jackthehat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
watching food closely, today (back on 4 x 500mg metformin, sitagliptin and dapagliflozin) BS test 5.4 after light dinner, 7.6 just, very good for me

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear!
I think after that whole heart attack experience you get to upgrade your Manflu to an official Flu status.
We are not, of course allowed to diagnose people, but I am sure everyone will agree that in these Special Circumstances, I get to call it Proper and Unisex Flu. ;)

Hope you feel better soon.
A virus is bad enough, but add it on top of what you have just gone through, and you must be feeling like you've been run over by a truck.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Jackthehat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
add to the heart attack and pan-manflu my carer is more cathy bates/misery than mary millington/rosie dixon night nurse i might not be back from this