Heat and insulin sensitivity

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
In the past I've noted that when away in hotter climes, my insulin sensitivity has improved, however I've never experienced it in the UK. Over the past few days, with the increase in temperatures I'm seeing the same phenomenon. Since the last time I had this I'm probably a stone or more lighter, but I'm needing pronouncedly less basal (last night 62.5% of my normal overnight level) and will be reducing my daytime today as well. I suspect that my I:C ratio is also being affected but until I've got the basal right, I'm not going to touch that one.

What experience is everyone else having with the increased temperatures?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Normally for me the winter months cause a massive reduction in basal rates as very busy with housed livestock. The heat has really affected me this year though and I've dropped about 3 units over a 24 hour period.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I tend to find that I require more insulin as the temperature increases.
Back in the days before blood testing and multiple injections I always use to hate the summer because i felt so rubbish when it was warm.
Now that I have the test results I can just either correct or take a bit more fast acting at meal time
and of course i increase basal a couple of units.

Reactions: 4 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I thought I was the only person with this problem,hot weather has always increase my insulin requirements,carried out my adjustments on the pump yesterday and will keep a eye on it today.I have keep all my blood test records from the early 80s on hard disc to help with my adjustments.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Had to reduce my basal rates over the last week to avoid going hypo, much the same as on MDI where I'd have to reduce the basal dose when the weather turns warm.

Fat too hot today, so uncomfortable.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I thought I was the only person with this problem,hot weather has always increase my insulin requirements,.

I'm in the same boat, i.e. heat causing blood sugar rises and an increase in insulin requirements. Crazy heatwave here in Germany at the moment can't wait for -10 degrees winter days again :)

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only need to inject ten mins before food not 20-30

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find that hot weather tends to push my BS up. It's annoying because it's not something regular that you can anticipate, and I'm never quite sure how hot is 'hot' until I see my sugars going up.

On the other hand, once I went for a walk in the snow, having made the usual preparations for a walk, and, not very far in to the walk I had the most horrible hypo. So for me, heat tends to push me up, cold down.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had a 2.9 in the park yesterday, afternoon, checked just before I walked home and I took a unit less of Insulin with my lunch , but fine today, so far :)

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you find hot weather pushes your blood sugar UP, it is worth wondering whether you are drinking enough water.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in the same boat, i.e. heat causing blood sugar rises and an increase in insulin requirements. Crazy heatwave here in Germany at the moment can't wait for -10 degrees winter days again :)
The same for me. I had to decrease my carb intake, especially for lunch with temperatures approaching 40 degrees.

Reactions: 2 people