Type 2 height or duration of a spike - what do you prefer?

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This screenshot is from a study, interestingly non-diabetics peaked max to 119, which is 6.6 mmol (on a high carb diet 45% carbs), however they didn't return back to base value in 2 hours, rather a small decrease hour by hour.

PS: Just realised that 119 or 6.6 is the average spike.

https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12986-019-0368-1
upload_2022-5-29_14-6-47.png

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This screenshot is from a study, interestingly non-diabetics peaked max to 119, which is 6.6 mmol (on a high carb diet 45% carbs), however they didn't return back to base value in 2 hours, rather a small decrease hour by hour.

PS: Just realised that 119 or 6.6 is the average spike.

https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12986-019-0368-1
View attachment 54728

Just to remind you that even non diabetics can have blood glucose and insulin control issues, like myself.
Every one of us has a minute differential hormone response to food. And the only reason for having studied with charts like this is to notice something that isn't normal. It's the diagnosis that can make a difference to your treatment and future health!
As for your first question, what do I prefer,? It has to be no spikes and staying in normal blood levels consistently!
This is because, I am aware of what a certain amount (low)carbs does to my body.

Reactions: finsit

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is another interesting chart as someone said in this chat that it may not be just the BG but could be high sustained insulin and that could be with a short-lived spike too. This table is from a study for OGTT test for metabolic syndrome and marathon runner at intervals of 30 minutes, you can see the BG vs Insulin response.

upload_2022-5-29_16-20-25.png

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very informative folks thank you. It's just that i am using this CGM for 14 days so optimising what carbs i should be sticking to as i have been very low-carb and my LDL went quite high (LMHR). I personally thought so as well to have a spike of 8 but short-lived would be better than having 7 sustained for 2-3 hours. In my case, it has all do with fats. Again, i am saying this based on still a low carb diet. I ate 2 tangerine yesterday 110 gm with approx carbs about 15 and I spiked to 9.5, but was back to normal in 2 hours (my normal is 6:)). Not sure if a mouthful of tangerine is worth this spike? Now im seeing that milk does the same, a quick sharp spike but back within an hour, which i would say is fine. On wholegrain, even 10 carbs, i get spike to 7's and it stays there. I will try to eat refined flour to see how quickly that is flushed out of my blood, it probably has to do with insulin secretion or sensitivity to slow-releasing carbs? Also, does anyone has an idea which mmol levels actually the first phase insulin (the burst) starts?
Not sure what the oral induced level for first phase is, because you cannot see it with current meter technology due to slow oral and gastric response. The IGTT gives a step function which does trigger a phase 1 response that can be measured. When they use a glycemic clamp, they set the baseline level at about 7.5 mmol/l, then the step they apply has to take it above 10 mmol/l and sometimes up to around 18 to guarantee a PH1 insulin.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is another interesting chart as someone said in this chat that it may not be just the BG but could be high sustained insulin and that could be with a short-lived spike too. This table is from a study for OGTT test for metabolic syndrome and marathon runner at intervals of 30 minutes, you can see the BG vs Insulin response.

View attachment 54733
The Phase 1 insulin response in an IGTT occurs in the first 10 minutes after the clamp is stepped and is well over by the first 30 minute time.