Heinz baked beans

Grazer

mep73 said:
Just be careful though as alcohol can impact on your sugars... it can cause highs if it's full of carbs, or lows also.

The alcohol with the highest carb content is the beers, but even then the alcohol content seems to override the impact of the carbs (stops the liver processing them to glucose while it's dealing with the toxins it sees alcohol as) and my BGs go down. I've never had an alcohol that has raised my BGs personally. Of course, if you mix with non-diet cokes/lemonades etc, then you can get highs.
I suppose that's why insulin dependant diabetics are warned of hypos when drinking ANY alcohol.
I reckon dieticians tell us to mix drinks with water because of the country wide conspiracy against drinking! :lol: Not putting water in my riojas.....

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Ahem. Well Celast as you can see, there are differing opinions on this one!

I don't know if you have a meter to test your own blood sugar levels, if you haven't ask your doc for one. Unfortunately they may not agree that self-monitoring is necessary in which case it would be best if you buy one yourself.

As a general rule it is better to try and lower your carb intake to reduce your levels. Baked beans have both sugar in the sauce and the beans themselves are carby but there is no sure fire way to know if they will affect you unless you test afterwards.
Maybe avoid them until you get a meter and then test two hours after eating, that will give you an idea of how they affect you.

Of course it is also worthwhile considering how you are eating them, on a slice of toast or as part of a meal as that can affect what results you get too.

Good luck :)

tiamaria13354

Type of diabetes
Type 2
im with Slimming world and beans are free, i have a whole can, but my nurse said i can only have 2 tablespoons!! that wouldnt fill me

elaine77

Beans are bad bad bad for me, even the reduced salt and sugar ones. If I have an English breakfast with baked beans on I am at least 2mmol higher 2 hours later than I am when I don't have the beans... They actually push me higher than a hash brown...weirdly!

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Waking level is 7.0.
Breakfast of Burgen bread,slice of lean ham and 2 scrambled eggs (no butter anywhere)
Reading after breakfast was 9.7.

Next day.
Waking reading 7.2.
Same breakfast but with a small spoonful of sugar free baked beans (disgusting) and my reading went up to....

18.2 !!

For me even sugar free baked beans are a no no. Shame as I love them. Must be the carbs I suppose.....

LittleWolf

After looking at the nutritional information of almost everything I their product line I draw the conclusion that Heinz are in a mission to make everyone T2 and send all the T1s into DKA. It's insanity. Anyone ever feed their kid Farley's Rusks? That'd have anyone's pancreas playing catchup.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This forum is popular with low-carb diet fans. A low carb diet is one you must stick with because even a modest increase in carbs will be more that your metabolism can cope with.

Baked beans are actually medium GI. Than means that their carbs are released moderately slowly. I find that baked beans cause me no problems.

We are all different so you'll have to see what works for you. One rule for all of us is portion control and watch that waistline.

LittleWolf

I'd check nutritional information on individual brands because it may not e the multiple sugars in the beans. You have to worry about (isn't it because sugars like raffinose take longer to process that causes fermentation and flatulence?) but the sugar in the sauces- again Heinz like to sugarload everything.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Waking level is 7.0.
Breakfast of Burgen bread,slice of lean ham and 2 scrambled eggs (no butter anywhere)

Next day.
Waking reading 7.2.
Same breakfast but with a small spoonful of sugar free baked beans (disgusting) and my reading went up to....

18.2 !!

For me even sugar free baked beans are a no no. Shame as I love them. Must be the carbs I suppose.....
Why lean ham and where do you get sugar free beans?

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Guys, I've just been newly diagnosed. I've just had beans on toast and realising that is now a history meal! Question, I've been having lentils with my minced meat as I thought this was healthier, I love it but do i have to stop eating Lentils now?

Reactions: 2 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Baked beens even reduced sugar is something to beware of however with testing you may find a small portion is OK for you.
One of the first things I learned from this forum is the way every diabetic blood glucose responds to certain foods is different, you can follow some very basic ground rules of the 4 legs good 2 legs bad kind but the only way to know what works for you is to test before and two hours after meals. Many on the forum can eat food made with Oats however from testing know I can't, but I did found I can drink milk many other diabetics can't.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Lentils are carbs but don't cause my blood glucose to spike I am quite partial to Sainsbury's Lentil Dahl soup which is 10% carbohydrate and it seems to no major effect on me, but the only way to know what your body will tolerate is self-testing.

As for baked beans on toast my substitute is Uvo Toscana (eggs in the style of Tuscany) there are various variations on it but it involves fried or poached eggs fried or roasted tomatoes, red onnion, garlic rosemary, basil.
I have found my diabetes will tolerate a smallish portion of Focaccia. so it is all severd on top of a thin slice of toasted or fried Focaccia topped with greens (usaully Rocket or Spinach), then a liitle balsamic and drenched in olive oil.
The greens, olive oil and vinegar help moderate the carbs in the bread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Waking level is 7.0.

Next day.
Waking reading 7.2.

18.2 !!

I agree with you there the low sugar ones are horrible

leezena

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are Heinz baked beans ok or not with type 2 very confused as only diagnosed yesterday, also red wine
I’ve just eaten baked beans on toast and it’s sent my sugar high 201 or 11.16 I had wholemeal bread and realise I just can’t eat this. Anyone know the best way to bring sugar down ASAP ? Thanks

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just eaten baked beans on toast and it’s sent my sugar high 201 or 11.16 I had wholemeal bread and realise I just can’t eat this. Anyone know the best way to bring sugar down ASAP ? Thanks
Probably as much if not more due to the toast. Exercise is the only way to bring it down - go for a walk if you can.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Welcome to the forum.

The main thing is not to panic. Your BG will come down again in a while.
How long have you been diagnosed, what do you usually eat, what medication are you on?
I assume T2 from the context, but it would help if you confirmed this.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That is to be expected, I'm afraid - carbs on top of carbs - not a good choice, certainly not something I would ever consider eating.
Just avoid anything carby for a while and maybe take an extra drink of water.